Problems with auto parts stores

You are spot on about parts stores price gouging "sudden failure" parts. And I believe most of our inflation in all retail has been greed, and not legitimate cost increases.
 
When I was young we had the 2 stores, Napa was cheaper, General Trading was a little better.

In the last decade the Napa store got really poor, didnt pay to go there. Now the past 2-3 years is a fella there that really tries hard. He struggles with the computer and lace of resources to look up farm parts any more, but he really tries hard.

The General Trading store is now Advance Auto I think, they still have a pretty good crew and they have a very overworked machine shop still. One of the few around anywhere.

Orillies and AutoZone (I think, I get those 2 Autos mixed up) moved into town, but are worthless to a farm guy.

Paul
 
I have commercial accounts so can see what they are looking at from my desk. I do most all my orders and make a mistake every now and again its not as easy as it looks. I can also see most of what OEM dealers are looking at and place the order on my side.

There is an incentive for me to look it up and place the order but its chump change maybe 2% but it adds up over time. The advantage is I am able to look at pitchers of the part are take the number and google it.

Example I ordered a air fuel ratio sensor by the book the one I ordered was right by the book but when it came in the connector was wrong. I had to search pitchers to find one with the right connector. Emission tubes are a nightmare you need the # and a pitcher. Alternators are a major P.I.T.A.

Something some don't look at I need a warranty and if needed I need it NOW!. Example, I put a brake booster on last August it came back yesterday the place I order from replaced it no questions asked. lets talk about price they were $80 higher than the cheapest place I found on the net (Rock Auto) My gut told me not to go there and my gut was RIGHT. I told the customer when I put it on why I brought it where I did at a higher price.

I could talk all day about parts issues but a cheap arse is a cheap arse and I hope they drive by my place and don't stop : ).
 
Around here, we have Advance, AutoZone, and NAPA. Most of the knowledgeable countermen at the NAPA store have since retired. The idiots at the other two stores coudn't find their arses with their hands in their back pockets.

Then there are the prices. The only things I buy from local stores now are big ticket items with lifetimg warranties. Things like starters, alternators, and the like. After all, when you need it, you usually need it NOW!

One thing that has improved is rebuilts. It used to be that if you bought a rebuilt alternator, generator, or starter, two out of three would be bad tight out of the box. These days, they have lifetime warranties at most places, and the quality is markedly better.

One thing I do not understand is this - O-Reilleys advertises on the radio locally, but they do not have a store within 100 miles that I know of. Makes no sense to me.
 
If you have trouble in several stores you may take a good look at what is in common. Hmmm. Perhaps the employees have stories about "some" customers.
 
Local Cat dealer advertises $25-$40hr for parts people. Some days its tempting.

In reality though, most places parts counter is treated as a min wage job, so no.
 
Within a short drive my choices are AutoZone, O'Reilly and Advance. The folks at O'Reilly used to be the most knowledgeable and helpful, but that's no longer the case and the place is usually empty of customers when I go in. I find the AZ folks are the most helpful, although not particularly knowledgeable. And I haven't had much luck at all with Advance.
 
[b:654c4848f0]The idiots at the other two stores couldn't find their arses with their hands in their back pockets.[/b:654c4848f0]

Hah! I'ma steal that one...
 
I do feel for you people in those areas because its sorry when the guy behind the counter doesent have a clue about what you want. Living here close to small town NAPA and others we are very luckey we dont run into your problems people here in IOWA do want to help others
 
If you can come up with the OEM number it helps when on a search for a part. I am not much of a Rock Auto fan but they have the best search engine bar none. They give you a hand full of different manufacture part numbers to work with.

To me the worst system is Chrysler (mopar) they code fluids and don't offer a part # for it you have to call the dealer.

Advance/Carquest World pack line they code their parts its not possible to cross reference them over. World pac is often better priced and a better part offten OEM the problem is its a day are two out and only 45 miles from me.

I had a 73 F100 360 in the shop I could not find a radiator hose that fit to my liking. I went to the NAPA store to look at all the hoses they had hanging in the back. I told the gal at the counter what I was looking for while I was comparing hoses she threw a part number at me. It was the hose I was looking for so how did i overlook it. I asked her she said it was for a 302 I never thought to look at another engine application in the end someone had put the wrong radiator in it. Did she find it by mistake are was my mind so abscessed I could not see beyond the trees.

Everyone I deal with local has good parts folks except NAPA. Even they seen the writing on the wall and hired back some of the old crew. The local Honda, Toyota, Nissan dealers will stick it to ya and not use lube. They don't try to be competitive and don't care if you buy from them. Its not possible to get the Nissan dealer parts department to pick up the phone what is going on. All they want to sell is body parts and they have that part nailed.
 
Every once in a while you run into a parts person who is good. I went to the local Toyota stealership to get a shifter bushing for my 2005 Tacoma. This bushing is plastic, about the size of your thumb or maybe a 5/8 socket. As he was looking at his computer, I saw him flinch a little. Then he said, we have to order that. I said ok. THEN he said it is $99.35 plus tax and shipping, you have to pay in advance.

After I said thanks, but I cannot afford that right now, I started to walk away. He said, Let me give you that part number, you might need it later

I found that same part online for $15.00.
 
I was on the tail end of the "experienced" counter men. Some were exceptional - some were moody - some were arrogant (kind of like all walks of life).

With the advent of online parts look up tools - I've taken the exceptional / moody / arrogant factor pretty much out of the equation. It's on me to figure out what part I want, who has it in stock, and the best price.

Personally - I like the new way better as I can bet on myself and the secrets aren't locked up behind a counter in a book that I don't have access to.
 
There is good and bad everywhere in everything, it's up to each of us to focus on the good. Your happiness depends on you.
 
I love it when someone asks what you're looking for. He/she doesn't know what it is and only helps you look for it. A=Z and Adv. list seals and bearings as National and Timken but when the order comes in it's from you-know-where. Called an O'R and asked if the seal would be National or a substitute. Nice young lady said she'd check and get back to me. It was National and at a better price than any other. She said there is a shipping charge, OK. When I picked them up, no shipping and a lower price than the website listed.
 
I remember working at an auto parts store and one guy needed a set of rings for a Buick, and another guy needed a set of plugs for a Ford.
 
I couldn't agree more Kevin. Everything that's old is new again. People find things that have always been there and dwell on them as a reason to be the **** that they've always been.
 
And I believe most of our inflation in all retail has been greed, and not legitimate cost increases.

Right on!
 
Nice Lady came into the store one day . Said her car was making a noise . Went out to the car opened the hood . The serpentine belt was only on by a couple of bands of belt. Got the vin number off the car . Looked up the belts , asked her she wanted . Good better best. She said she would take the good one ,she could not afford the better best ,. I believe her , she was sincere. I got the belt ,told the boss the situation ,told him I was going change the belt ,he agreed ,he knocked some off the belt for her. Asked if I needed anything come and get him.
Went and got the serpentine wrench , out of rental .
Took the tools out to the car. Asked Lord please help me on this one. Changed the belt without a hitch . She thanked me. Off she into the world.
 
Like Kevin said below you take the good with the bad. I worked at a Napa years ago and the computer system at that time was not very helpful. You will know in a few minutes if the person behide the counter will be very good or not.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top