1710 Ford 4x4 gear drive---pto grinds when trying to engage even with clutch depressed and the pto, when engaged, won't stop with the clutch depressed. Is thislive pto and is there supposed to be a 2
stage(dual) clutch on this model? Any ideas? Suggestions would be appreciated. Greg

Assuming you don't have similar trouble with the transmission gears, you have a 2-stage clutch. Most likely your PTO disc is rusted stuck to the pressure plate, a very common malady on those machines. I know that some of those smaller tractors had big holes with rubber plugs on the side of the bellhousing for clutch access, I'm not sure about the 1710. If yours has this, and you have a loader on it then it's behind the loader mounting brackets most likely. Said hole would allow you to go in and pry on the disc with a screwdriver or similar tool to free it up. Otherwise you're most likely looking at a split, as I can think of no other good way to shock it from the outside if a rototiller or similar tool sunk in the ground won't break it free.

Thanks Bern--I do have the rubber plug on the right side and I also have the loader in the way. I'm happy to hear that I probably won't need to split the machine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back