pulling starter from 9n-2n

long scott

New User
New to the classic fords, having starter problems , I have pulled the bendix and manually engaged by pushing the the rod , I here a click and the a wine , do ineed to pull the starter or is something else wrong, if pulling the the starter, please advise
 
" I have pulled the bendix and manually engaged by pushing the the rod , I here a click and the a wine"

I'm not sure how you did that......

The bendix is the common name for the starter drive gear. It's on the end of the starter shaft which you aren't going to get to unless you pull the starter.

That being said.....the first thing you need to do is make sure the battery is fully charged. A weak battery will spin the starter w/o engaging the bendix. Or you can jump it (see tip # 43)

But if you need to pull the starter to check the bendix, it has 3 major exterior components; front plate, barrel & rear plate. The 2 bolts that hold the starter on to the bell housing go through all three components & hold it all together. To remove the starter, unscrew the bolts out of the block & put a nut on one of them. Otherwise, the starter comes apart. Not fatal, but not fun either. (tip # 36 at the link below) Then, loosen the two bolts holding the oil filter canister to the block, (it does not need to be removed) remove the dipstick, and keep the starter close to the block while pushing the front of it down and lifting the back up. Sometimes you have to remove the drain petcock as well.The bendix is behind the flywheel; your job is to get it over the flywheel.

Caution: while the starter is off, resist the temptation to screw with the bendix. If you extend the bendix, and it is not the OEM bendix w/ the big spring, you will have a hard time getting the starter installed.

To install the starter, keep it close to the block while pulling the front of it up and pushing the bendix back into the hole. The bendix has to go behind the flywheel; your job is to get it over the flywheel. Grinding out an egg shape at the 2 o'clock position before you put it back will make your life easier.

Lastly, while the starter is off, polish the block & all starter mating surfaces w/ sandpaper to insure a good electrical ground. First, clean the mating area between the barrel and rear plate. Then, clean the mating surfaces where the aluminum rear plate meets the bell housing. The starter's ground circuit is not only through the two long bolts but from the barrel to the rear plate & then to the bell housing as well.
75 Tips
 
LOL!

Yeah, the title would be "75 Terms Used by FOG's"

bendix = starter drive

pocket = glove compartment

dikes = wire cutters

goose neck pliers = channel locks

etc, etc!
 
(quoted from post at 06:12:43 12/11/13) LOL!

Yeah, the title would be "75 Terms Used by FOG's"

bendix = starter drive

pocket = glove compartment

dikes = wire cutters

goose neck pliers = channel locks

etc, etc!

goose necked pliers, a new one for me. I always called them water pump pliers!! :D
 
" I always called them water pump pliers!!"

As did my father.....because those were the pliers you used to tighten the packing nut on an A Model Ford water pump.
 
I WAS TOLD; AAA travel insurance gal!

What is wrong with YOUR starter? she asked'd over the phone.

I have a BUSTED BENDIX, says I.

SAYS SHE....."oh, shouldn't YOU becalling 911?
WE have no way to call the local "HOSPITAL for YOU!"

I had to confied in the operator that I was calling from YOUR home phone! I refused to give HER your phone number for confirmation when my service van was sitting in our local COURT HOUSE PARKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

John
 
Welcome to the forum!

In addition to the good advice Bruce gave you, while the battery
is charging clean the battery cable connections on both ends.
Make sure they are clean and tight. No paint, rust, etc
Hopefully you have good sized cables on there too. 0 gauge if 6V.

If you do have to take the starter off, take a good look in the hole
at the ring gear on the flywheel. Make sure the teeth aren't worn
excessively or broken off. If they are the starter will just spin.
 
Gorilla snot - 3M weatherstrip adhesive

Lady's slipper - pry bar with curved end for leverage.

porta press - 32 oz. ball pien hammer
 
who knows.

might have been a tire os oil filler cap.

his post made little sense.. and I don't want to try to guess and then give advice on a guess beased on super-unclear info...
 
Used to buy new packing for 10 cents.Came in an orange box at the Western Auto.Heard of a fellow who pumped a full tube of grease into his Model A water pump.
 
I asked for a quart can of roofing cement.Clerk said you mean Monkey dung.Penetrating oil was called panther pee by a farmer I worked for.Tire sealant is called elephant snot here.Crazier than a bear or crazier than an out house rat are often heard here.This message may be censored by the turkeys who run the forum.
 
I wish I could tell the story I heard while fixing a TV many years ago.It had one word that would rile the censors on here.Two elderly ladies were talking about a problem a brother got into while fixing his tv antenna.Some 30 years have passed but I start laughing any time I remember it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top