Question about Volunteer corn

Dave from MN

Well-known Member
Ok, last years crop on the feild I am planting myself this year was wrote off as a loss and had full ins payment and what was there(which was actually very good in some parts) was disced down last fall. There was some sprouting last year, but this spring there is stil ALOT of corn on the ground. I was gonna put 90% of it in beans, but with corn prices where they are I am thinking of putting 1/3 more of it in corn. It was RR corn, Should I disc it in ASAP and hope most of what can germinate will, and then spread my manure and to my preplant tillage to kill off the manure? I was planning on trying a preemerge on 50 of my crops, would the preemerge stop the volunteer corn. Kinda confused bout what to do at this stage.
 
If you hit it with tillage a couple of times before you plant you will get rid of most the corn. Wait a couple of weeks between.

In beans you can kill the corn easily with Fusion herbicide.

In the corn it will be a problem all year long. But the early tillage will help with a later pass.
 
Dave
Sounds like you will have alot of volunteer corn that will come up later, i would use liberty corn and of course spray with liberty herbicide.
 
Don't ya just love it when someone leaves ya a mess like that? :>(

I would have handled that little problem last fall. Instead of a disc, I would have used 50 head of cows.

Allan
 
Why would you say that?
Liberty is a great alternative following roundup where he is going to have alot of volunteer corn.
 
Sorry for my poor use of English - sheez. :) Brain & fingers don't always get along....

What I was trying to say was that Liberty corn would be a really good idea for him, can kill off the volinteer corn.

Just hope the previous corn was not stacked with rr & Liberty - the fools started doing that now....

--->Paul
 
Whoops!! Shoulda said "Should I disc it in ASAP and hope most of what can germinate will, and then spread my manure and to my preplant tillage to kill off the VOLUNTEER CORN" not manure!
 
I was gonna do that, BUT I was fooled into beleiving that I would be fraud to the insurance copmany, not mine ground was rented out, and by grazing it I would be in violation of something or another. I was foolish and trusting, not no more!
 
I'm not for sure,but I don't think that the 'off-spring' of RR corn is RR. Round-up should kill it.I'd use LL corn myself.Monsanto has enough money.
 
Dave,
Make sure last years corn did not have the LL gene in it. Someone else may have said that too.
If it was multi stacked, soybeans with the Fusion spray as Gary said, could be a choice.
$ can add up in a hurry by going back to RR corn and using extra tillage passes and cultivation (if thats an option for ya).

I have tried here to rotate the traits, to allow for a bad grain corn year. Its getting tougher to find single spray traits in the genetics that grow good for me. Even if I dont want a spray trait in the corn for a certain field, LL comes along because of its use as a "marker" for the wanted trait or RR is included beause thats all the choice there is for that genetic family.

Hopefully your volunteer corn is RR only.
Bill
 
I.ve never done it but in beans it is apparently easily controlled with a post application of assure (I think thats the name)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top