cleared.I was going to replace the radiator, as could see the fan
had hit it. The problem is one of the bolts on the bottom of the
radiator just spins, not coming out. My question, does the
radiator bottom have a stud, and I have spun it loose. I put it
back together, no leak till I put the cap on. May try some stop
leak or something. Looks like I will have to take a sawsall to the
radiator. Maybe stop leak will plug it up. Any advice will be
appreciated. 50 8n.

Originals have carriage bolts. Left side of radiator support has hole, right side (viewed from seat) has a slot. I guess radiator can be swung out. Repro radiators have studs on the bottom. I just replaced my radiator about three weeks ago.

What model tractor? Early 9N with non-pressurized radiator never used a fan shroud. In '43 with the 2N Pressurized RAD, the shroud was introduced. You can get exact-as-original Carriage Bolts for RAD mounting at Denny Carpenter -see LINK. Get a good nut splitter.

FORD 8N TRACTOR COOLING SYSTEM PARTS DIAGRAM:
HQnNE8el.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)
RADIATOR MOUNTING BOLT KIT

When I split the 9n I have,tons of stop leak had to be removed by pressurewashing the cooling passages in the block before other work was done. A radiator or maybe a muffler shop could repair the radiator,or just flush it and arrange a bolt as others have advised. Use stop leak as an emergency measure only,then flush it.

Yeah, I don't want to use stop leak. I think I will buy a nut splitter, and get s new radiator.

(quoted from post at 08:59:47 10/03/22) Yeah, I don't want to use stop leak. I think I will buy a nut splitter, and get s new radiator.

If you've got a decent radiator shop I'd look into getting it fixed if it's an original and not too far gone.

The one on my 9N had some trauma and I fixed it myself with a torch and solder. That was many years ago......

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 10/03/2022 at 09:25 am.

The bolts under the radiator are carriage bolts. Stick a large screwdriver or flat bar between the radiator and mount and pry upwards as you loosen the nut.
That will usually get them off.

Yeah see my LINK below for OEM exact carriage bolts and also get the two rubber mounting pads, 2N-8125, and the 2N-8032 filler neck support pad, also sold at the link supplier. Why, do you want to get a whole new radiator? If you have the OEM one, get it boiled and rebuilt at a local shop - new ones tend to have fit problems be forewarned.

Tim Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 02:29:41 10/03/22) Originals have carriage bolts. Left side of radiator support has hole, right side (viewed from seat) has a slot. I guess radiator can be swung out. Repro radiators have studs on the bottom. I just replaced my radiator about three weeks ago.

I've bought radiators that used carriage bolts, just like the original. Looks like this varies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back