Re: 3000 power steering-what am I in for?

Texasmark

I put one on my 3000 years ago I bought off ebay....new after marked kit, easily installed. Pump installs on the tractor where the
cover plate for the OEM is located. A reservoir is attached on a a bracket on the left side, under the hood. The left side is where the
assist cylinder is located with a dead man to the tractor housing that is adjustable to help you get the L-R radius distances equal. A
drag link connects the left to right side to steer both front wheels. The right side steering rod is removed as it no longer has a
purpose in steering the right wheel.

It solves the problem of hard steering. You have to play with the linkage to get the turning radius for L and R equalized but that's
nothing but taking a little time to do it. Turning radius may not be quite as tight as OEM but otherwise well worth the investment and
the radius thing isn't a problem.

The 3000 never had true power steering as it was more a power ASSIST steering. LATER models improved to a point where they were one finger steering and faster turning. SO... the factory system was adequate but not fast. The aftermarket kits are also adequate but not fast and not super easy, but do make the effort much less, especially if you have a front end loader. As long as you understand that, you will be happy with either, but the factory was a bit better than the aftermarket systems. The aftermarket systems are faster and easier to install. The aftermarket system usually put the reservoir up high, way under the hood and you MUST use a long funnel to add fluid and they are a bit difficult to get to to check the level. When removing the steering arms off the top of the spindles, remove the bolt, and use a fat chisel to drive into the gap to spread the arm open a bit, to remove them. Then a big hammer to drive them up and off of the spindle.

Agree it was marketed as power assisted steering and the thing I liked about that vs Hydrostatic that is common today is that one puts the knob on the steering wheel in the most convenient spot. Power assisted keeps it there. Hydrostatic had an overload valve and when you exercise that valve....which is frequently, the position of the knob changes. If you want it back where it was you have to run the steering to one limit and hold it while the overload valve unloads some fluid allowing it to change positions...not necessarily where it was but you can play with it and get it back.....just to change again in a few minutes of operation.

On the assistance I'm happy with mine both OEM on my 3600 and 3910 and the after market on the 3000.

First of all take a look at page one of this
board in Classic View and notice what a
mucked up mess you make by replying to an old
thread.
Sheesh!
Second, that pump might still be good.
Many of those have lasted for going on 60
years. So I would TEST your pump before
throwing a bunch of money at a new one.
Maybe?

(quoted from post at 18:09:33 09/17/23) First of all take a look at page one of this
board in Classic View and notice what a
mucked up mess you make by replying to an old
thread.
Sheesh!
Second, that pump might still be good.
Many of those have lasted for going on 60
years. So I would TEST your pump before
throwing a bunch of money at a new one.
Maybe?
Yep, it s a big mess, looks like he started a new thread based off replying to the one I started. My pump leaks into the engine oil, we talked a bit about it before, and likely better off starting new to avoid worm shaft problems amongst others. Another member was looking just for more info on the add on kits. I am not sure if the admins can join these two threads.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back