Re: Generator??

Russ from MN

That's kind of what we did when we lost power for 31 hours a few years ago. We just have a little Coleman 2500, it ran everything of
importance in the house, fridge, freezer, coffee pot, on extension cords, It struggled to start the sewer lift pump, but I probably didn't
need to run that. Our well is artesian, so if your patient, water still comes out of the faucet, and I carried water from the lake for
flushing the toilets. As seldom as we loose power, I'm fine with this system.

I have a Troy Built model that kept 3 freezers and 2 fridges going last year through 2 nearly 3 day outages.
One tornado and one hurricane.
Also ran the well pump and had lights and TV when we wanted them.
To heat water once per day, I unplugged everything else and ran the water heater about 45 minutes.
All done with heavy extension cords.
It has 5500 starting watts and 3500 running watts.
Ran 24 hours a day on about 9 gallons of gas a day.
Gonna get a bigger one soon and keep this one as a backup.
Richard in NW SC

Better than nothing . However a 8000 and a interlocking slide generator interlock would work better . And have doors or windows open with extension cords . Operation of all lights and receptacles is good too .
If the generator struggles to start a load . The operational life of both the generator and the load will be shortened .
Anyone using a double male , suicide cord deserves to be beaten with it .
Or use this instead of pharting around with extension cords .
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GenerLink-40-Amp-Meter-Mounted-Transfer-Switch-with-75kA-Per-Phase-Surge-Protection-MA24-S/301962200

This post was edited by buickanddeere on 08/21/2021 at 01:53 pm.

I have walked off many jobs after finding that cord. Tell them why
and leave. If the insurance company man finds it. You are cancled.

I was on an inspection check. With an insurance inspector. He found
the cord. Tagged it policy cancled. Left the man with a bill of
nearly a million dollars. For his damage and the damage next door.

A welder will allow for more use and less fooling around. I would not want a gas unit for any of that work. My diesel welder has been pretty much trouble free. One battery and filters since 99. Of course fuel to run it.

I have a Honda EU6500i that I use as an emergency whole house generator. I use a generator interlock switch in my panel to isolate the mains when running on emergency
power. Like you, I can run everything but when it comes to the electric hot water heater I have to run it by itself. I also transport it around to use my Longevity 250A
stick welder off-site. I can get about 200A of stick current before the generator starts to complain.

I have almost the exact same setup as you. Although my Honda
7000 will overload with my hybrid electric hot water heater. Is
there anything special you did with the transfer switch? I have a
double pole 30amp at the transfer switch and one in the main
breaker for the water heater. It does this when no other load is
on the generator. Thank you.

(quoted from post at 00:39:31 11/12/21) I have almost the exact same setup as you. Although my Honda
7000 will overload with my hybrid electric hot water heater. Is
there anything special you did with the transfer switch? I have a
double pole 30amp at the transfer switch and one in the main
breaker for the water heater. It does this when no other load is
on the generator. Thank you.

The Honda is rated for 5500 watts with a maximum of 7000 watts. A 240 volt water heater should use about 4500 watts max, so your generator should be be able to handle it. In the hybrid mode it should use even less power (watts) so I'm not sure why your generator is overloading. I also use a 30 amp breaker in my transfer switch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back