re-stocking fee scam

I was wondering what tractor part mail order companies out there, that don't impose a "re-stocking fee" on return parts.

I ordered a manifold from Steiner. It turned out to be incorrect for my application. They've got a crappy picture in their catalog of the part, which really doesn't show much detail. And only sketchy information. Now they want 20% for sending it back. Even though I wanted to order a different one.

Re-stocking fees are a scam. They are guaranteed money makers for these companies sending out parts. I can understand if you order something from a local dealer and this fee being imposed. However with a local dealer, I can bring in the old part to ensure I get the correct one. When ordering online, you usually don't have this option. So it is easy to order the wrong part.

That's what I like about Amazon. They have a "no-questions asked" return policy.

Just my rant for the day....

A scam is something nefarious where you get cheated without seeing it coming. A re-stocking fee is usually published up front.

I have a buddy that tinkers with many things and often just orders three similar items with intent to send two back after he figures out which he really wants or needs. Often some items have been removed from the original package. I do not blame the sellers for charging him and I do not know how they would apply the fee selectively to guys like that and not others.

As you might expect he is the kind of guy who would take a 20 year old ratchet back to try to get a free replacement.

(quoted from post at 10:58:38 02/18/21) I was wondering what tractor part mail order companies out there, that don't impose a "re-stocking fee" on return parts.

I ordered a manifold from Steiner. It turned out to be incorrect for my application. They've got a crappy picture in their catalog of the part, which really doesn't show much detail. And only sketchy information. Now they want 20% for sending it back. Even though I wanted to order a different one.

Re-stocking fees are a scam. They are guaranteed money makers for these companies sending out parts. I can understand if you order something from a local dealer and this fee being imposed. However with a local dealer, I can bring in the old part to ensure I get the correct one. When ordering online, you usually don't have this option. So it is easy to order the wrong part.

That's what I like about Amazon. They have a "no-questions asked" return policy.

Not safe to order by pictures as often "stock" pictures are used. "Stock" meaning its a manifold for a 3, 4 , 6 cylinder, etc., but might not be the actual one the listing is for. Did you use the manufacturer's part number when you researched it?

Many companies have a time limit like it must be returned within 30 days or else you get 20% restocking fee. Usually this info is in the fine print on the bottom of a packing slip or receipt ?

Worst one I ever had was dealer did not have what I needed but had something he thought could be made to work. It was in stock on a hook beside his counter. I took it home and decided not to even try and use it and returned it. Received my statement and they charged 20% restocking fee. It was the parts mans idea to try it. I called and complained but was told that is our policy. I hope to never go there again and would never buy anything new from them. Tom

Items sent back are a pain. I deal with those. You have to receive it, figure out what it is, then repackage it. Parts are often time scratched or missing parts like nuts and bolts. Not every customer is careful with parts so it can be time consuming to restock them.
Dave

With the shipping costs associated with parts, I am very careful about ordering parts on line. Need actual mfg part number pictures won't work. If possible I will use the phone to talk to someone at their order desk about my needs. I always search amazon first as our shipping is 'most times" free. The restock fee is a bummer but caution be to the buyer. gobble

Industrial equipment is far less standardized than farm equipment, so that industry has used a 40 percent restocking fee for at least 40 years that I worked in it. A 20 percent restocking fee for ag parts is a reasonable average charge to cover restocking costs, inventory costs and the risk that no one will order that part and it will be scrapped. By shifting the restocking charge to the buyers, buyers tend to be more careful about how and what they order. Some customers will ordering two parts that might work and sending back the un-needed one, that is expensive for suppliers.

If they charged a 'restocking' fee and return shipping when THEY sent me the WRONG part,they would never get another penny from me.It was their fault. They need to suck it up and make it right.

If the supplier sends the wrong part, there is usually no restocking fee. If the buyer orders the wrong part, orders too many parts, or realizes the part is just no longer needed, the buyer pays the restocking fee. Six percent back is still a whole lot better than nothing when it was your mistake.

It's not a scam as it is clearly stated up front. You agreed to it when you ordered the part.

Restocking fees have been going on since time immemorial. They are there to discourage customers from trying this, trying that, trying something else, trying the next thing, etc.. It encourages them to make sure what they are buying is correct BEFORE they walk out of the store with it, as there is a penalty for guessing.

There is a cost to restocking the item as well. Not everyone is courteous and returns things as they received them. Often times they only buy the part to steal small bits off of it that they need, then return it. Then the supplier has to pay to have those bits replaced, or eat the cost of the now useless part.

The way to order parts is to get an original parts manual then order by part number not pictures,give them the part number you need than its on them.Local auto salvage yard has a sign up,'You come in and buy the wrong part you now have a spare'.NO returns.

I'm with you on this. These places give crappy descriptions, half way cross part numbers and then have the audacity to tell someone you ordered the wrong part its your problem. It is ridiculous. Dealing with returns is a part of doing business. I could get on board with a restocking fee if the descriptions and photos were top notch.

littlefarmer-"They've got a crappy picture in their catalog of the part, which really doesn't show much detail. And only sketchy information."

And YOU STILL ordered the part anyway????

Blame shifting, failure to take responsibility, pride, poor cognitive skills...................

(quoted from post at 14:17:09 02/18/21) littlefarmer-"They've got a crappy picture in their catalog of the part, which really doesn't show much detail. And only sketchy information."

And YOU STILL ordered the part anyway????

And there it is. Well said.

After reading this posting,I don't think restocking fees are a scam.They are intended for a reason.I have been on both sides of the counter.Don't order by picture.Get oem number or call and have customer service help with part so you won't be faced with a restocking issue if the part is wrong.Five minutes on hold will save alot of grief.

I agree to a point. I ordered a clutch for a tractor. Called dealer gave serial number make model everything. even told them it was a 11 inch clutch. They ordered a 12 inch clutch. Drove 5 hours to get it and bring home to find out it was the wrong one. Bring it back and wait 2 more weeks do the same thing again and this time they order the light duty and I gave them heavy duty core. I have 2 choices taker the light crap and get my Badly needed tractor together or wait another 2 weeks and make the 5 hour drive again. I could have ordered the right one on Amazon for $65 less but needed a few gaskets from dealer anyway so figured for a little extra money do it all in one spot. When I asked them who pays for all my gas for your incompetence they laughed and said , To bad
And that is exactly what has happened to most of our business owners these days. They don't give a RATS ASSSS about you and me.

cjunrau, I've always bought my farm seeds from Kee's Farm Supply in Grayson, KY. Now I reside in Oregon. I just call them and place my order, they ship me the seeds. I don't need to drive 39 hours one way to pick them up.

Shipping kinda works funny that way! lol

(quoted from post at 07:58:38 02/18/21) I was wondering what tractor part mail order companies out there, that don't impose a "re-stocking fee" on return parts.

If you were unsure that it was the correct part, you should have called them before you ordered it.

Personally, I have no problem with modest restocking fees provided the company delivered the part I ordered. If I order wrong or change my mind they shouldn't get stuck with the cost of my mistake.

However, if the part I get isn't what I ordered, or it didn't come as advertised, I think they should eat all shipping and waive the restocking fee. Why should I pay for their mistake?

I ordered a part from a company. It came. It didn't thread into the mating part on my tractor. I called. "No, the threads don't match the original threads on your tractor. But you can buy the mating part, too, and then it will work fine."

They charged me a 20% restocking fee. That one bugged me, I'll admit. Had they said "must buy as set with part #____" then it would have been fine. They didn't. Oh, well, life goes on.

You're right, cjunrau. Over the decades I have noticed a sharp decline in customer service almost everywhere. It's sad and frustrating.

NEXT DAY delivery is a great option! You pay a higher shipping fee but it sure beats driving 5 hours.

Barney ..... never thought of the stealing parts off the parts thing ..... clever, always somebody gonna scam somebody else. I knew of a guy I worked with whose wife was bad for ordering something from Sears back in the day (like a rug cleaner machine) and use it once, then take it back claiming it wasn't satisfactory. Seven years later, repeat the process again. That use to really pi$$ me off when I heard of that. For ever bad seller, there are ten bad buyers.

works good if you have a trusted guy doing the shipping. 's why I buy from amazon, I have never been dissatisfied yet

Well if it is their mistake there should be no restocking charge, if you decide you don't want the right part and send it back well OK.

SV, 20% is about standard. If you don't like it you should have read their RETURN POLICY before you placed the order.

I wonder what YT's restocking fee is, have you checked it out?

No questions asked returns are an open invitation to con artists as anyone who runs or has run a retail operation in this day and age knows. Thus there is a reason for restocking fees and it sure isn't corporate greed and it isnt about honest mistakes, it's about the con artists and the games they play. Good companies will spend some time sorting it out if you reach out to them but by and large the honest mistakes get thrown in the stew with the con artists. Ask anyone who works at a big box stores about what gets returned and the condition it was in. Think of it this way, who pays for what scammers send back?? Those who pay and keep. I am thankful that companies do what they do to keep my costs down including Stiener and if I have to return something and pay 20% that surely costs me less than absorbing what con artists would steal, and cost me in price, if they were allowed to go unchecked.

One sentence in original post that has me curious. It states, even though I wanted to order a different one. Does that mean original poster questioned them about what was the correct part and the co. told him which one to order? Or does it mean that after part was found to be wrong one then he intended to order the different part.

That could make a whole lot of difference in weather a restocking fee was reasonable or not.

(quoted from post at 16:10:23 02/19/21) One sentence in original post that has me curious. It states, even though I wanted to order a different one. Does that mean original poster questioned them about what was the correct part and the co. told him which one to order? Or does it mean that after part was found to be wrong one then he intended to order the different part.

That could make a whole lot of difference in weather a restocking fee was reasonable or not.

It reads to me that he wanted to send the one he ordered, and received, back to them and order a different one.

(quoted from post at 17:30:49 02/19/21)
(quoted from post at 16:10:23 02/19/21) One sentence in original post that has me curious. It states, even though I wanted to order a different one. Does that mean original poster questioned them about what was the correct part and the co. told him which one to order? Or does it mean that after part was found to be wrong one then he intended to order the different part.

It reads to me that he wanted to send the one he ordered, and received, back to them and order a different one.

That's how I understood it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back