Re: Teach Me How To Drive A SOS?

Bern

Correct, the SOS does not have a conventional dry clutch, rather it uses a slip clutch in the flywheel to absorb shocks in extreme
conditions.

The inching pedal opens and closes a hydraulic spool in the control valve to feather the engagement oil to various clutches so as to mimic
the operation of a conventional clutch. As the name implies, it was designed to be used primarily in confined areas such as hooking up
hitch pins.

As for whether or not a SOS is better than a manual transmission, it's mostly personal opinion. I have an SOS myself and frankly would
never go back to a crashbox where field conditions continually change. The only advantage to a manual is better fuel economy, and some
would say, better reliability.

Yes, you can shift from forward to reverse without using the inching pedal. In fact, the shifter mechanism was designed for shuttle
shifting with built in stops that you can adjust to suit your liking.

As far as repair and splitting the tractor, it's no different than most any other components on the machine. Some service operations can be
performed without splitting, however the majority of internal work would require at least one split.

As for maintenance, they do require a more frequent oil and filter change schedule, along with the occasional band adjustments.

In summary, there are pros and cons to an SOS over that of a conventional trans - you have to consider what you do and what you're willing
to put up with. I've included a pic of me with my 6000 SOS. My right hand is shifting on the fly as I navigate some tight spots in the
corner of a field. I'd grit my teeth doing something like this with a 5000 8-speed.

cvphoto128434.jpg

Ford had quite a bit of trouble with them when they first came out in 1959 because they didn't properly field test them before production. I
think they were trying to beat Deere to the punch. However, once they got the bugs worked out, most owners really liked them. The key word
there is *most*. Not everyone on this board is a SOS fan.

One of the biggest complaints is the featherability of the inching pedal. However, once you learn to operate the pedal by rocking your heel,
it's really not that bad. Another complaint is somewhat harsh 4-5 and 5-4 shifts, which is basically a design characteristic more than a real
problem. I mitigate that by adjusting my engine speed (when possible) so I'm continuously in the 5-8 speed range. All of those shifts are
very smooth.

Since downsizing a few years back my primary "work horse" is now a 571D. In addition to the good information that you already have, I suggest keep a watch out on ebay and other on line auctions for spare control cables, just to have on hand.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back