Reading my build card

I recently bought an Oliver 550. I ordered a build card from Floyd County Museum in Charles City, IA. The tractor was shipped to Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. Does anyone know what dealers were in the area in 1959?
Thanks
John Schoenauer

The 550 on the trailer on the way home.
mvphoto66966.jpg

I was maybe 18 years old but I purchased an Oliver 1855 from Brooks Tractor in Sun Prairie. I was attending my freshman year in Whitewater and I was aware they leased Oliver tractors out to the canning
companies. Actually purchased 2 now that I think about it. One had about 200 hours on it, that was the first one and the second one had 14 hours on it. They gave me a pretty good deal on the second one
just to get it moved. I think they knew about the engine problems by that time, I didn't. They are still in existence but I think it is a John Deere dealership now at least I see their name on John Deere
construction equipment. That was in the fall of 1973 and I recall trading in a Ford 6000 on the first one and a Case 730 on the second one about a month later. As for the engine problem, we never really had
any issues. We used very good oil and my mother made sure the oil was changed on time always. Of these two tractors, one survived as an engine transplant into another 1855 after we had rear end issues. The
other survived after getting a Perkins transplant when the engine finally came apart. Both being used on the farm today.

Swindave thanks. I think it will be good, I have not had time to do much yet. I am finishing up a couple of other projects and hope to get on it after the holidays.

Another interesting on the build card, it left Charles City with a diesel engine and now it has spark plugs! Some other notes in the card parts designated for gas engine were added.
Thanks
John Schoenauer

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back