Real Rodeo this afternoon!!!!

JD Seller

I have a good friend that is a semi retired diary farmer. He now raises bottle calves and has about 30 black Angus brood cows. He finishes about 150 calves each year.

So about once each month I go over and haul 10-15 fats to town for him. Most of these are Holstein bottle calves he has finished. So they are pretty tame even when finished.

His black calves are a different story. His cows came from out West and are pretty high strung. Their calves are that way too.

He is not really setup to handily load cattle. Usually a bunch of rusted out "cheap" gates wired to this and that with small wire.

HE called me last week to come and haul to day for him. He told me he had about 15 of his Angus calves finished. Well they were OVER FINISHED!!! I weight the first load and they averaged over 1800 lbs. So their BIG and nuttier than fruit cakes.

So I helped him sort the biggest ones out. They really ALL are ready to sell but he does not want to sell them all in one day. He does not want to hit a "low" market.

So we get them sorted and blocked in the barn with a couple of the better gates he had. As I back the trailer up to the barn about half the calves knocked a gate down and ran out into his pasture. JUST GREAT!!!!

So we wasted about an hour getting them back into a yard so we can get them back into the barn. I got run over twice by a couple of the knot heads. I went and got an old aluminum ball bat I carry behind the pickup seat. I did not get run over any more but the bat has a few new dents in it. LOL

So this time I had him put his loader tractor on the outside of the gates. So we had them penned in. I could only haul half of them at a time. So they all tried to run into the trailer on the first load and then ran out. You all should know how easy it is to get a steer back into a trailer after he has came back out of it. NOT!!! Well I only got my shoulder smashed with the dividing gate in the trailer twice.

It took a total of just under four hours to load and haul 20 steers 2 miles into town.

I just got supper ate and took a hand full of pain pills. Got an ice bag on my shoulder. Quite a few bruises here and there. I have a REAL sore one on my butt cheek. The wife thinks it looks funny.

I told the friend that WE are going to build a loading chute as soon as it warms up a little. I have a buddy that has a rock bit for his post hole auger that will drill frozen dirt. I also told him we are going to need some new "GOOD" gates.

Here is the funny one. I told him to expect to be docked on these steers as they are too heavy. He did not want to sell them last year as he did not want to pay more income tax. So he wasted feed to get the same net money as he could have gotten 30-45 days ago. The extra feed will easily be more than the taxes would have been. He could have deferred payment on the cattle to this year too.

Sounds like my loading system lol [not funny] but it is paid for my cattle are a bit tamer.good week to be laying up and resting

I'd rather handle horses any day then cattle! And we"v had some real nut job racehorses, mares, stallions, foals 2 year olds ect! Lol, hope you sleep well tonight.

You should convey to him that you are the CEO of a multi million dollar operation and cannot afford to get injured working cattle. Tell him you haul, his responsibility to load.
What if you had been injured badly enough to require hospital stay and medical care? 15 days missed work. Is he prepared to come do your job?

Well I wish I was in charge of a multi-million dollar company. LOL

HE and I have known each other since just about we both started walking. He is a good fellow. HE has helped me in the past.

There was a short while back in the mid 1980s it was hard to even keep food on the table so to speak. HE was there for me then. So I will be there for him now.

We WILL be building a loading chute and mounting some good gates.

I brought out the BIG guns on him this time. I told his daughters how much trouble we had. LOL He ahs already called me giving me heck about that. HE is coming over later this week and we will plan out what we need to do. He does not know it but his girls are going to be here too. They will be inheriting his farm. They have livestock with their husbands. So we will be building for now and the future.

Growing up we had nothing handy for loading. Started here the same way, so I built an adjustable height hog loading chute. Trucker loaded the first time and said he"d tell his boys we had a miserable time, so they wouldn"t want to come here. They wouldn"t know how easy it really was, with a separate pen, crowd gate and narrow chute, instead of having to set up what they carried on the truck.

Jeez, JD. One of these days we may even think you might become a farmer someday ya keep doing that kind of stuff.....

Sounds like the last load of hogs I loaded. I had a new pen but had not finished the squeeze pens to get them into the chute from that pen. I would have had to run them through three other pens (all with hogs) to get to the chute. It took us four hours to load 9 hogs to butcher. We all ended up so battered and beat up we couldn't stand it. There were lots of hot shots around but I kept screaming "don't bruise the hams!" Hit them in the crack of the a$$ or the forehead!! I started welding on gates for the new squeeze pen today. That won't be happening again.

My parents barn is a little better for loading now than I was back in the day. Probably close to 20 years ago Dad cut a hole in the wall for setting large squares of hay right in the barn, and the other benefit is that it's the perfect height to load into a trailer behind a truck.

Truck can back up to the door, and we slide the door up to the trailer, same side the trailer door swings to. We line the barn with gates (some good, some bad, but better than nothing) and MOST of the time the animals will load pretty decent. Once in a while they'll need a little tickle on the backside with a zapper. Most times we don't even have to press the button, they just jump anyway.

Donovan from Wisconsin

If you like-um gentle how bout I send a few straws of West Texas Brahman next breeding season. Flop eared calves are known to be real gentle. LOL

Old time trucker showed me how to make a hog go up the shoot. as you may know a hog has his head on the wrong end when going up the shoot just put a 5 gal pail over his head back him in the truck or trailer you must move fast to keep the pail on him till you get him ware you want him

Way to go!
Using a pail or similar, you don't have to be strong to load a adult pig, some agility suffices.

I trained our Shorthorns with ears of corn. I could back the truck up to a loading chute in the middle of the cow yard and lead them up the chute with an ear of corn. Sure beat trying to drive them up that chute parked at the barn door.

(quoted from post at 19:50:01 01/04/15) I'd rather handle horses any day then cattle! And we"v had some real nut job racehorses, mares, stallions, foals 2 year olds ect! Lol, hope you sleep well tonight.

A neighbor across the street had Thoroughbreds. She was nice looking and about 90 lbs. and swore like a sailor. One day I heard her going at it as she was trying to load one into her trailer so I went over and offered to help. She asked me to see if I could keep the rope into the trailer tight while she tried to persuade from behind. She told me that I didn't need to worry about the horse because I probably wouldn't be able to hold him anyway. I passed the rope over a handle and then under the running line a couple times so that the harder the hay burner pulled the tighter it got. After a minute she decided that she needed a better plan.

Pop had the bad habit of raising angus for beef and then as soon as they freshened, he'd say, "she gives milk too" and then he'd milk the danged things until they were so old and tough they weren't good for anything but hamburg. We had the main barn and another barn a couple of miles away. We were constantly moving dry cows and new milkers between the two barns. We loaded them on a pickup with a cattle box and led them with a halter rope up the steep ramp. There was ALWAYS an angus or two involved. I don't believe I need to elaborate......................

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back