Really getting frustrated

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Well...getting frustrated. I usally look on here a few times a week just to see whats going on and who is cutting Allan this week.
Always look thru the for sale adds...usally just browse.
Saw a tractor on there I really like, price seemed right. A year ago I would have hooked up the gooseneck and been on the way to get it by now. But, last night I was looking thru and saw another one...ok, that makes 2 I can call on.
Then I put a pencil to the paper to figure what it would cost in fuel to get there and back. Well, it would just about cost as much in fuel as the darn things are worth if I have to do any fixing on them at all.
Heck...I filled the darn thing up last night and it cost me over a hundred and fifty dollars...and that is just one tank full. What a bummer!!!
 
Yeah,

It "wears" on ya don't it? Last I heard, gasoline was still thirty nine cents in Bagdad.

Think we're gettin' duped just a little? :>)

Allan
 
One of the reasons I didn't buy tags for my ton truck and big trailer last time around. If I have tags on them I lose self control.(:^D
Besides that my wife is under the delusionary thought that 40 some tractors is enough. Without tags I dont have to dream up a reason to go to a place and then drop the,(Oh by the,) way we are going in the big truck because of what I just found.
 
Yeah. I was in Hungary about 4 months ago...fuel is high there too, but I rented a Jeep Cherokee with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel and the little rascal got about 43 MPH. The way I drive...that ain't too bad. One of the other guys had a Ford Ranger with a diesel and it did about the same. Good strong power from a stop and rode really well. Don't care a lot about little trucks as I am 6'5, but if they sold them here I might get one to go back and forth to work.
Why can't they sell them little buggers here?
 
They should rename this place. Instead of Tractor Talk it should be " People that do nothing but pisss and moan about everything."

Gas is higher here. It is a lot higher just about everywhere in the world. STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
So tell me new name just what is it you want to talk about? Nah you probably don't drive much,or someone else buys your fuel or you might not even have a truck. JUST hush.
Don
 
Well this place is called TRACTOR TALK but all you guys do anymore is complain. They should have a seperate board here for complaining. Albeit there used to be one. gwgopers ruined it. AWOL.
 
Our friends at the EPA won't let them be sold here. We'll soon be freezing in the dark, but by gosh, our last breaths will be clean air. "We're from the guvment, and we're here to help you."
 
"Our friends at the EPA won't let them be sold here. We'll soon be freezing in the dark, but by gosh, our last breaths will be clean air."


We might freeze to death but I doubt the EPA would have much to do with the air being clean.
 
Bit@@ bitxx bitxx. Turbo diesel Jeeps WERE sold here (in the U.S.) but they were Renault diesels and no one wanted them. There's still a few around, but not many.

Joe
 
Maybe look for a tractor closer to home? I mean, at the extreme condition, if you were in South Africa and looking for a stuck Farmall H on rotted tires in Indiana, the fuel to get it home would be tens or hundreds of times what the tractor is worth. Either look for a more expensive tractor or look for one closer to home.
 
I've got the problem on a larger scale. I've got over 100 tractors, 40 trucks, etc. We're considering moving 1000 miles to northern Michigan. So, I've been asking myself - if I actually move - do I have an auction and sell off all the stuff here and rebuy some stuff up there?

I was also considering bringing a few of my favorite tractors there, one at a time on my own trailer and pickup truck - but I assume that's going to suck up a lot of extra diesel fuel - probably $200-$350 more each trip.

I started looking around in Michigan and don't find much in older equipment - at least not at reasonable prices.

Due to the high fuel prices - I was kind of surprised at a quote I got. A Michigan trucker - with a load capacity up to 80,000 lbs. will move whatever he can fit for $2 per loaded mile. Up to 8 1/2' wide by 53' long by 10' max. machine height. In my area of New York, for small trucking jobs - e.g. to move one tractor - the going rate is $100 per hour. Seems the big rig move will cost around $55 per hour - almost half the cost and moving a lot more iron.
 
I was just adding up what fuel would cost me for a 1000 mile trip. My dodge gets 16 miles to the gallon. With $3 diesel that would be $187.50. At $4 dollar diesel that would be $250, or a differenc of $62.50. I don't like it any better than anyone else, but I'm not going to cancel my vacation this year for 62 bucks.
 
If you dont like it that so many people are compalining about fuel cost"s then dont read the fourm. How is that not related to tractors? And as for calling people whinners, everybody has a right to gripe about the cost of fuel..... We are getting raped, plain as day. So anyone who dosent like the fuel prices go ahead and say so, thats your god given right.jinNY
 
Maybe you can find someone you trust on this board or you know locally to hold'em, assume rent, until you can move them. Either that or one of us you know half-way between here and your destination so you don't have to go so far to play and then move when you're ready.
 
Ive got a 96 KW I will sell you and a 1979 C-65 Chevrolet with a flatbed.No trailers though.You can figure your fuel on the KW like this,every dollar per gallon the cost of fuel it takes 20 cents a mile for it,just slightly more.So unless you shut it off at every stop,and if you shut it off when you sleep,you should figure a dollar a mile for fuel.A thousand miles,thousand dollars just for fuel.Its probly going to cost you 30,000.00 for the truck and trailer,then You would be on your own from there,license,insurance,fuel taxes,taxes,so to be fair its really about 2.20 per mile with 4.00 fuel.If you dont drive it,you would have to pay somebody 35 to 40 cents a mile to drive it.So you would need a real sharp pencil to figure how you could do it for 2.00 a mile,maybe if you drive it yourself you could do that.Tires are 400 dollars each,and oil goes up all the time.You need to change the oil every 5 loads,That will cost you 200 each time and you need to grease it every 5000 miles.
The only smart thing to do is get a backhaul,that means you need authority,and lots of other stuff,maybe even have to hire out your paperwork especially the log books.If you had a steady backhaul would cut the expenses down,but not as much as you might think.Actually hauling only one way and you still will be pulling fuel money out of your pocket.
You dont want to tear up any tires,and dont want to spend any more than you have to on the road,and you could maybe get it all hauled for 50,000 dollars and still have a truck to sell when you get done.Trucks and trailers can be bought maybe in the 25,000.00 range that would work,maybe a little less but you would probly not have good tires,irritating mechanical problems,and maybe not get 25,000.00 when you get done.You might not be able to even sell a truck with the high fuel untill the atmosphere changes about trucking.Thinking some more.I think it would be closer to 60,000 dollars to do all that,and maybe not get it done for that.
 
Back in '91 timeframe I bought a rock bucket and diesel was $1 a gallon. I used 100 gallons a day so my fuel bill was $100. Diesel went to $1.10 and I got really sore about it. Felt like some featherbedder/carpetbagger/whathaveyou just stuck his hand in my pocket and helped himself to $10 of mine.

Sure glad I'm not running that thing today.

Mark
 
Back when my diesel was the $1 I mentioned I hauled whatever you could load into the bucket for $1.40 a hub mile and if I got it, with no breakdowns, I could make a living wage. I would be leery of this guy as diesel is your biggest day to day expense and for that price I don't see how he can make it.

My 2c

Mark
 
I thought they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. But the feds are mysterious creatures. Catch you cheating and still let you bid on more contracts.

Mark
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top