Recalling all electricians

John T

As the whole electrical Neutral versus Ground issue (or causing the two to be in parallel if re bonded downstream at a sub panel) has again raised its ugly head below, as a public service I copied and edited a long winded explanation I posted here or on Johnnypopper a long time back and based on the electrical post below feel its good it be posted again for yall.

ELECTRICAL GROUNDING

Over the years on many various Tractor Board postings concerning general home n farm AC wiring, I’ve observed a common misunderstanding regarding “grounding” and ground rods etc. which I hope to correct in the interest of safety.

First of all, it’s the service NEUTRAL that gets bonded to Mother Earth via “made grounding electrodes” such as rods driven into the earth or metallic water or gas pipes etc. Out at the electrical pole the Neutrals (if a Y service) on the high voltage primary side are tied to Mother Earth,,,,,,The Neutrals on the low voltage (120/240) secondary side of the transformer also get bonded to Mother Earth,,,,,,,,,And finally at the electrical service entrance meter base or the main service entrance panelboard or even up on the riser, its again the Neutral that gets tied to Mother Earth. That’s to keep the services and the grid etc. at one single common low voltage reference which Mother Earth provides, albeit not perfect.

So what about the Equipment safety ground, the bare/green GROUNDING conductor that is used on three wire appliances and is wired to the outer metal cases on an electric drill or skill saw etc., isn’t it “grounded” ??? Well, it is, but just because at the main service entrance the Neutral Buss and the Safety Equipment Ground Busses are bonded together, therefore, the safety equipment Ground is also tied to Mother earth but notttttttt only for reasons some might think. Since the Neutral conductor is an ordinary current conductor which happens to be grounded, it’s referred to as a GROUNDED CONDUCTOR while the safety equipment ground (green/bare) is referred to as a GROUNDING CONDUCTOR. The sole purpose of the third wire safety equipment green/bare ground is not only so that circuit is tied to Mother Earth and all those ground rods and water pipes, buttttttttt it’s to provide a dedicated low impedance return current path back to the panel and its circuit breaker (Remember at the panel Neutral and Ground busses are bonded together) in case of a fault (like a hot wire gets shorted to the drill case) so the breaker trips de-energizing the circuit and you don’t die hanging onto the drill. I hear people talking about driving more ground rods and making sure that drill case or appliance or stove etc. is bonded to Mother Earth thinking that alone somehow makes it safe, while its NOT ONLY the bond to earth that can save their life, it’s the drill case or stove being bonded to Neutral back at the panel that’s critical. The safety equipment green/bare ground wire is tied to the drills case so if there’s short there’s a dedicated current return path back to the panel to trip the breaker. If you had a drill with a metal case and only a two wire circuit serving it with no third equipment grounding conductor and say you drove a ground rod and attached it to the drills case, you think that would save your life if a hot wire got shorted to the drill case MAYBE BUT YOU COULD STILL DIE (depends on the ground quality and other things). The reason is the earth (depends on moisture n mineral content etc. etc.) is a poor high resistance conductor so there wouldn’t be enough return current back to the panel to trip a 20 amp circuit breaker butttttttttttttt it only take like 50 milliamps through your old ticker to kill you which that short can continue to supply if there’s no low impedance return current path (like the equipment ground) to trip the breaker.

Sooooooooo it’s the Neutrals that get tied to Mother Earth and driving rods into the earth to “ground” that Neutral and subsequently the equipment ground buss that’s also bonded to it isn’t the whole thing, it’s the fact that the equipment ground buss is bonded to the Neutral and provides a current path back to the panel in case of a short/fault to trip the breaker n save your life that’s very important.

Hope this helps, God Bless yall n keep safe and USE THE NEC (to the extent possible permitted) even if you dont undertsand, the people who write and approve it are true experts (who, unlike most of us, DO understand electrical safety) and things in it can save lives and prevent fires.

If in doubt consult a trained experienced professional and dont risk your life based upon unqualified opinions and sure not on anything I hurredly posted here although its my honest belief the above is accurate.

John T

Copied and saved to my computer. Any chance I can use this on another forum? We have the same kind of issues, misunderstandings, etc, on GarageJournal.com as most people don't understand electricity and even the electricians don't for the most part.

Charles

Sometimes it seems the ground and the nuetral end at the same place in the breaker box, so they should be interchangable, right?

Wrong.

It's just like plumbing, which is easier to visualize - both the hot & cold water start out from the same pipe in the basement, but you can't just randomly plumb those 2 pipes together along the way to the varoius sinks in the house, or you end up with a mess.

--->Paul

John T.
Sounds allright to me. The grounding conductor and the grounded conductor can confuse alot of electricians,especially the WOW electricians. Like WOW it works.

Stephen

electrician by trade and farmer at heart.Now retired.

Very well said, John.

For a circuit breaker to fault properly, it needs a solid path back to neutral. And if you don't have separate ground conductor between buildings, you're HOPING that the ground path is good enough to handle the fault current. That's dependent not only on the ground at the outbuilding, it's also dependent on the ground at the service, which might very well be quite old and inadequate. If you have a 50 amp welder circuit in your outbuilding, will the grounds at BOTH buildings be adequate to fault the breaker? I wouldn't want to make that bet, not in our Michigan clay.

That all aaid, a separate ground system at a detached building is just as adequate as using a separate ground conductor back to the main panel.

A "ground system" is just that. An approved system of grounding, as per local conditions.
NOT just a ground rod.

A properly done system at the main panel, is not more "proper" than a properly done system at a remote building.

There also seems to be a lot of misconceptions going around - about what the NEC actually is, and what little authority it has.

Thanks Mark, as you well understand for the circuit breaker to trip THERE MUST BE HIGH CURRENT FLOW so a dedicated low impedance return path (The GroundING Conductor) is a necessity and safety issue NOT to be messed with. Likewise you do NOT want the equipment ground to be in paralell with and carrying normal Neutral return current, the Neutral is indeed insulated for good reason and is NOT supposed to be connected to the metallic case/frame of a tool or appliance such as can hapen if you go mixing n matching and re bonding (downstream at a sub panel) Neutral to Equipment ground.

I love tricity

John T

Sure, but being an Attorney (Long AFTER my "real life" as an engineer and farmer and tractor and semi truck dealer) I love disclaimers lol NO WARRANTY

The heart of ther matter is driving ground rods all over the farm is NOT what safety is totally about, its the fact that the Equipment Ground Buss is Bonded to the Neutral Buss at the Main panel so fault current has a return path so the breaker opens AND THAT WILL HAPPEN IF THERES NO EARTH BOND OF THE NEUTRAL WHATSOEVER or if you drive a hundred rods in the ground

Thanks

John T

Hey if you were an electrician I BET YOU WELL UNDERSTOOD THE DIFFERENCE but it is surprising so many do not ??

God Bless, John T

Good discussion JD, heres a few comments to help even further, hey we keep this us were ALL gonan be sparkies lol

"That all aaid, a separate ground system at a detached building is just as adequate as using a separate ground conductor back to the main panel."

ACTUALLY (for those who may NOT know), when you wire up your remote shop building that building's electrical service ALSO GETS A GROUND SYSTEM (Grounding Electrodes such as driven rod or rods, metallic pipes etc.) The older NEC allowed only 3 wires out, 2 Hots, and Neutral while the newer NEC called for also carrying out the Equipment Ground Conductor.

And DONT FORGET YALL out there keep the two isolated and seperate, i.e. at a sub panel theres TWO busses, Neutral and Equipment Ground which (UNLIKE at main panel are NOT tied/bonded together). If you rebond then you have the Ground in paralell with the Neutral, its supposed to be reserverd for fault current ONLY and dedicated ONLY for such remember NOT to carry normal neutraL return current

As we know it still works EITHER WAY and some jurisdictions may require it while others may not

"A "ground system" is just that. An approved system of grounding, as per local conditions.
NOT just a ground rod."

WELL SAID, The terminology we used when I was a designer was a "Grounding Electrode" which can be "made" like driving rods in the earth while buried metallic water or gas pipes and foundation structural steel can also constitute a "Grounding Electrode" In some jurisdictions I designed for you drive one rod, then test it and if its not adequate, you move away 10 ft or so and drive another. In another jurisdiction I worked in they only required one rod. Best I recall the NEC (years back) preferred bonding all those readily available (pipes, structural foundation steel, rods etc etc) that qualified as "Grounding Electrodes"

A properly done system at the main panel, is not more "proper" than a properly done system at a remote building.

FOR SURE and as I noted above, actually, one wants a proper ground at BOTH the main panel and remote outbuilding sub panel

There also seems to be a lot of misconceptions going around - about what the NEC actually is, and what little authority it has.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Best I recall The NFPA is the umbrella institution and yes indeed different jurisdictions adopt different NEC's or none or sections therein CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITY

God Bless ya my friend GREAT DISCUSSION hope this helps, I hoped we might meet in New York at the Expo but now Im not sure if Im going or not, my summer is filling up already lol

John T Once an old sparky always and old sparky

ok, I always get confused here.

IF... I have a breaker panel at the remote building... full of breakers for every circuit in that building...

why would I not ground both neutral and ground at that breaker box. so.. the ground would give a path to protect the outer case as you say.. yes and so the neutral will also start out at or near ground potential. I have seen neutrals fail between buildings and without a ground point the neutral would rise up to 50 volts or more. Seen this two times now. One case was at a large shopping mall build on all rock with two different power feeds from opposite ends.

the other was a trailer house feed off the main house with direct buired aluminum conductors. the trailer house problem was actually next door to me and it, and the main house were fed from the same transformer and was even pulling my power off at my house due to neutral rise and unequal balance. I finally had to go help them fix their problem to get my power to settle down. I was trying to run a server farm with no ups, only power conditioners at the time.

anyway if the two are tied together only at breaker boxes, i wouldnt have had them using my ground to raise the neutral so high and unbalance the leggs.

We have said it how many times.........??? Connecting the ground system to the energized current carrying neutral conductor. When connected out at sub panels, out buildings or ajoining buildings. Connecting together makes the ground system a current carrying system.
Does anybody here understand why neutral current flowing in the ground system makes for problems?
The ground system is to carry current only in a fault condition.
AGAIN; don't be bonding the neutral to anything except a neutral except at the system service transformer and at the metering box.
Also bond at the distribution panel if there is only one distribution panel on that service transformer.
Why do all these jackleg electricians question electrical code inspectors, trained utility workers and electrical engineers?
Simple,even if you don't understand it. Just accept it shouldn't be done.

Years ago we had ladies getting mild shocks while using ac powered screwdrivers at metal assembly tables. Shocks occurred randomly, and checking ground connections and power cords proved fruitless. Finally the power company sent engineers to check our 440 system and discovered Eddy currents floating in the ground around the building with voltages in the 50s. They replaced one of their transformers and the shocking stopped. I seems our earth ground was riding the 50 volt potential.

"a separate ground system at a detached building is just as adequate as using a separate ground conductor back to the main panel"

How do you know?

The only way to prove your statement is to deliberately fault the largest breaker in the outbuilding panel. I'm reluctant to do that even with a 15 amp circuit, and I'm sure as heck not going to deliberately fault my 50 amp welder outlet. What I do know is that if I have a ground conductor back to the service disconnect capable of carrying the current of my largest breaker, I can be fairly certain that breaker will fault when it needs to. Depending on an untested ground circuit is just being hopeful.

This is getting a little rediculous.

We have to talk with generalities here - unless you've got some absolute specific installation to discuss. Code also works with generalities - in attempts to "fool-proof" things.

In "general" one proper ground system is as good as another proper ground system.

Wiring is not an exact science at the "install" level. Not even an "exact science" at the science level. Thus the many "theories" instead of "laws." We have State codes and we have electrical inspectors that are supposed to do their best - to look a specific conditions and deem something adequate and safe.

So, all things "being equal", there is no gain - between the house ground system and the remote-buidling ground system.

At this point, I find it hard to figure what exactly your point is.

You already made the erroneous claim that states don't have electric codes. You even got it wrong for your own state of Michigan.

A ground system can be faulty in any installation. It relies on good connections, soil conditions, soil horizon makeup, etc.

Again, that is why an inspector is supposed to look at local conditions and judge from there.

I've come across more bad grounds at household main-panels then with new grounds added later in other areas. That because many house-panels and grounds date back to the 1940s, or older.

My house had a 30 amp main panel when I got it, installed in 1938. Had one ground electrode hooked to the fuse panel with #10 wire. I've had to update many that were similar.

"Why do all these jackleg electricians question electrical code inspectors, trained utility workers and electrical engineers?"
Could you send some of these quality people my way! I added 1600 sq.ft. to my shop for a total of 2800 sq. ft.
So I called Duke energy to see about a new 200 amp service to it from the pole across the road that feeds the house. This means a new pole on my property that we can T off of to the house and then straight to the shop 80 feet away. Now all is fine till we get to the riser at the shop. This is when he tells me the riser HAS to be 21 ft. AFG. I told him that is not gonna happen that my driveway was not a state highway.
Next the inspector , who would guess that dist panel had to be directly behind the meter base. He does not believe the six foot rule is right and it is his way or a red tag.
Retired IBEW , jackleg
P.S the Duke guy called back after speaking with my contractor 2 feet above the roof would be fine...

Bill, yours is a good and legimitate question but just dont get too frustrated if you cant comprehend all the theory and reasoning behind the NEC, hey even engineers and electricians struggle with it including myself even afetr 40 years in the trade and it sure cant be explined to a lay person or even an educated or experienced one here in a few sentences.......I used to attend Seminars given by experts on the code committee and believe me before a code change occurs or things are added THERES GOOD REASONING AND DETAILED THEORY THAT HAS TO BE PROVEN BEFORE SUCH TAKES PLACE.

This can NOT answer your querstion or explain what it takes books to cover but this may help.

The Neutral is whats earth grounded at the utility transformer and again at teh serice entrance EITHER in the meter base or teh panel or the riser weatherhead and ONLY at the main panel are the Ground Buss and Neutral buss bonded SINGLE POINT GROUNDING.

If you mistakenly re bond the Neutral and ground downstream at a sub paNEL then the equipment ground is in paralell with the Neutral and is carrying current BUT its sole purpose is to carry fault current ONLY and its a dedicated circuit for that ONLY NOT for carrying neutral return current. You do not want it to become an energizedd current carrying circuit as its also boned to the metal case of tools and appliances !! You certaily would NOT grab ahold of the Neutral an d YES its insulated to keep it safe unlike the bare equipment ground.

Look at it the same as if your doctor said you need an operation, you may not understand why but you still let him operate so my advice is to trust the NEC when they say do somethign as its there to protect your life even if you dont undertand it. NOW if you have a good reason why they are wrong take it to teh NEC and if youre correct the code will be changed.

Best wishes n God Bless I hope this helps, even as an engineer of 40 years I sure dont understand all teh NEC but do know enough about electricity to realize they know more then me an d that dotn take much lol

Of course its your life at risk and youre free to wire as you please regardless whaT THE nec OR ANYONE HERe SAYS

Jonhn T

Mark, good advice you posted and youre correct. However and even better THE CODE ALSO REQUIRES A GROUND OUT AT THE REMOTE OUTBUILDING. I.E THERES TWO NOT JUST ONE HOPEFULLY ADEQUATE GROUNDS.

The dedicated equipment GroundING conductor back to the panel does EXACTLY as you CORRECTLY state it insures a good dedicated direct current path to allow for adequate fault current flow to trip a breaker to de- energize a circuit TO SAVE YOUR LIFE... Thats the job for the equipment Ground and you dont want to be using it as a neutral which is what happens if a re bond occurs at a sub panbel

Take care, you raise good issues

John T

John; I was an electricians mate in the Navy and learned to work 480v 3/ph before I ever learned residential and comercial wiring. I think the 480v 3/ph 4 wire system is about the easiest system to work with.

The 3/ph system with the grounded phase is the one I never understood and didnt like to work with it anyway.

At one of the code seminars I went to there were 2 ladies setting up at the end of the bar.
I overheard one say to the other ,"If i'm not in bed by 11 oclock,I'm going home."

I stayed in close contact with the state and city inspectors so had no problems with my work passing inspection.

God is Good
Stephen

Stephen, the most common one I usually specified was the 277Y 480 volt Three Phase Four Wire. We used 277 single phase legs for lighting and 480 for 3 phase motors.

I specified the very first ever at our facility 480 volt three phase three wire delta BUT I (The unusual portion) CORNER EARTH GROUNDED one leg. It really confused the electricians but I didnt like the floating ungrounded regular delta although it was used for years

John T

John T I've been reading your comments on these threads for a good while. You're sharpe I might add. I've been in the industrial electrical work for 25 years now. I also do my own residential but very little for others other than repairs for close friends.

Got a couple of examples and would like to see your answer on them. Some years back we had a really bad ice storm and on the highway I live on we have the old 7200 volt line like most rural areas around me. About 2 miles up the road from me the bottom wire was broken and laying on the ground.We all still had power at our homes while this wire was broken and laying on the ground. I called the electric supplier and knew they were busy and told them. It was put way down the list so they could get power back on in other places that the power was out. So it was 6 days before they came to splice it back together. And we all had power at our homes while it was down.
I know how we still had power and many here may know too. Just thought you could put it in words better than I and may help explain to some others how the system works. Or what can work and still not correct.

Next example with 3 phase as I saw it discussed below a little. Where I work with some newer technology than where I worked in the late 70's through the 80's we can have one leg of 480 go to ground as much as 325 volts and keep running off that transformer where it's fed from. Unlike the older plant where I worked if we had a leg go to ground we had to find it and repair it as soon as the problem occurred. Your thoughts on that one as well? Again I know why and if you're not use to the system it'll throw you for a loop in trouble shooting.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good posting on grounds and N.

Thanks for the kind words, like all mere mortals I make many mistakes but try my best to help when I can.

That typical rural HV primary is 7200 volt single phase with the hot wire on top so if it breaks it falls down on the Neutral n trips the circuit breaker. On the HV primary the HV Neutral is earth grounded at every few poles and at each transformer drop so if its open good old Mother earth has to carry the return current.

On the 480, they used 277Y 480 3 Phase 4 Wire which had the incoming Neutral earth grounded and at the panel Neutral bonded to the equipment ground.......The older more common use was the floating delta 480 volt 3 phase 3 wire NOT A GROUNDED SYSTEM. On those one leg could be dead to earth ground or buildign steel etc but the motors and system kept working while if a second phase also got grounded the breaker tripped of course.

I gotta run Im late for a Bluegrass Jam so not sure if this answered you or not, sorry

John T

In the factory where I worked we had the 3 phase 480 volt system where one leg could be grounded. We had a light for each phase of the overhead buss to monitor for phases to ground. One time we had one phase to ground and then a second phase went to ground, there was a big bang and fire flew out of the control panel where this happened. I was about 50' away when it happened and it scared the cr@p out of me.

Dave, that is interesting about the bad transformer causing shocks.
I worked in a large plant and there were a lot of things to cause shocks. I found at least two metal work tables at 120 volt potential because of a fluorescent light cord hot wire touching the metal and the ground wire not hooked up. Another thing was getting shocks from the hook of the large overhead bridge hoists. One plant in particular had a very corrosive atmosphere and the grounding was through the bridge rail and wheels etc. The rails would corrode they would lose the ground conductivity and we would have to go up there and use a whirly bird to wire brush the entire rail that the wheels ran on. Some of the later hoists had the fourth collector grounding shoe and didn't have that problem. Another nightmare was the electrostatic paint systems and getting everything grounded properly.

Who are you trying to convince?

If you're trying to convince me and everyone else here that three wires is somehow better than four, you've already lost that argument.

Or are you trying to convince yourself you did the right thing when you saved a few bucks by only running three wires out to your buildings?

The reason most people question electricians and linemen... is because they get the feeling they're being screwed... and because said 'professional' is not able to give adequate answers... ie. they don't understand the damn theory themselves.
I had a lineman proceed to show me last summer that I did not have a stray voltage problem in my barn because he could measure no voltage from a bulk tank skin to the neutral in the main panel adjacent to it... Quite naturally there was no potential there since the tank is bonded to the neutral... I did't see him offer to go barefoot and stand on the wet floor while giving the tank a bearhug tho.
Most people know when they're getting played for stupid and some tend to challenge it...
It seems to be a predominant trend with electricians around here.

Rod

Thats why in the "old school" where they didnt want to lose production they liked floating ungrounded Deltas because one leg could short to ground/steel and all still worked but in later years many installations (and where I designed) went to the grounded system.......

See ya next week my friend

John T

Yo B n D my good friend, I dont see it done wrong out in the field where professional electricians install it or electrical engineers have designed it, I think its more that farmers and do it your selfers who are NOT professionally trained are the ones who do it wrong and re bond neutral and ground at sub panels and it is hard for them to understand the reasons and theory why they SHOULD NOT. You and I work in that area but ya gotta realize MOST HERE SIMPLY DO NOT. I still try my best to help and explain it as it might save their life.

Best wishes n take care

John T

images

I just got back from bluegrass show in Gretna Va. Hope I can make the one sat. night.

The newer transformers have a high resistance to ground built in, so we can keep running with a lot of voltage going to ground. Pretty neat to be able to keep the mill running till we have time to isolate the problem. In a few cases we have some sensitive equipment that just won't work proper if it's over 250 going to ground. But just normal 3 phase motors just keep on running. Our 4160 is on multilins and won't tolerate any voltage to ground.

I got to hear before and see after the trip in the switch yard, where 24,900(primary) arched to concrete. Trip is set for 3 times and it popped loud 3 times. Glad a cinder block wall was between me and the flash. I've heard the 4160 go off and blow the door off a 4' junction box but was my first at 24,900. Don't think I've ever heard a noise like that.

Thanks for your time and comments I'm sure on the rural system someone here that read that will watch a little closer when working soil in the field and stay away from poles and breaking those copper ground wires. LOL They are there for a darn good reason. When I use to hunt a lot I've seen many broken from farm equipment.

Thanks again

YIKES I can just hear those dudes saying "Ya know that NEC is a bunch of bunk, we know better then they do now dont we" LOL LOL LOL

Have a good day yall

John T

YAY BLUEGRASS When I left yesterday I went to two Jams in a row, when I told the "first wife" I found another one Sat night she wasnt really thrilled lol

I think in our jurisdiction the HV Primary Neutral is earth grouned evey 3 (or was it 4) poles. This helps with lightning caused spikes and surges and keeps the system at one common low voltage (Mother Earth) reference. Of course, the systyem still works if some grounds get destroyed but they are there for a purpose just like those two big static ground wires on top the HV towers. When we designed electrical distribution at our Navy base for ordnance buildings I WILL SHOW YOU GROUNDING. Three feet outside the premimter foundation big copper plates and meshes were buried all connected with bare braided huge copper cable and then 50 or 100 feet away a series of lightnign rods were installed to provide a cone of protection, also tied to the pemimeter ground which, of course, was bonded to ths buildings incoming Neutral electrical service NOW THATS ALL ONE SERIOUS GROUNDING ELECTRODE

John T

I don't have to "try" to convince anybody of anything. If anybody on these forums truly cares about the issue of grounding and detached buildings . . .

they can read their state's elec-code requirements - that you erroneously claim does not exist.

Note YOU are the one that made incorrect statements about code, not me.

And about your fear of only having three wires to a service? Hmmm. I know of many main entrance panels that only have three wires coming in from the transformer outside. You'd bettter call the code police and tell THEM how wrong they are -according to you. They'll have to remove an awful lot of 4/0 SE cable (4/0 X 4/0 X 2/0) that's been inspected and approved.

Around here with or without a separate bare ground along with the neutral and line(s) are legal either way depending......
Overhead triplex from service to building or building to building is the norm. At each panel downstream of the first distribution panel or the meter base.It's understood that the earth ground system is NOT to be bonded to the neutral.
A local independent system of buried rods, plates, well casing etc is sufficient at each building if.... If there is no phone, communication cable etc between the buildings.

Markb_mi, you do provide a valuable service, in giving JDemaris a debate stage. His primary purpose in being here. W/O a debate partner, he feels a lost day. Of course, now he is defending what wiring HE has done whether right or wrong, again fodder for primary objective..debate.

No. If you read with any care and sincerity, I have been referring to National Electric Code and it's application around the USA.

Note that Mark claimed that states in the USA HAVE no electric codes - which is pure nonsense. Very easy for anybody to verify. NO debate needed unless somebody just likes to argue. He even got it wrong for his own state of Michigan, where I've done several service installations.

I spend about as much time on these "tractor forums" as anybody, offering tractor information -when I happen to know it. I suspect much more then you ever have.

In regard to domestic wiring - I've been doing it for 50 years. I've always known how to read code, wiring a building, and get it to pass inpsection. Never had one fail yet.

I'll add, I've never insulted people here (as you have just done to me) without having it done to me first. When I do return an insult, I make sure it's based on fact, and not on fiction or and overdose of antidepressants..

Same here, in any states of the USA that I've wired in. I never claimed one way was better then the other. Just claimed that both can be fine, and legal, and code-compliant, when done correctly.

Hard to figure why that gets so many people upset.

And the idea that NEC is enforced law all over the USA? That is absolute nonsense.

I can't speak for Canada since I've never had to work there, and therefore never read up on Canadian elec regs. Canadian building codes - yes.

Other than half the labeling being in French. No grounded Delta seconadries and use of 347/600V instead of 277/480V.
The differences between US or Canadian equipment and rules are virtually nil.

The one thing I do know about is the difference in burn-out specs for stainless-steel smoke-pipe for wood and coal burners. The Canadian specs are much higher then the US specs. And, there is little to no price difference.

After a lot of research, I bought all my chimny pipe from a place in Québec.

CANADA - CAN/ULC-S629-M87 (650C factory built chimneys) for Canada - requires the chimney to withstand three 30 minute chimney fires at 2100°F. Listing #195-7110, 7113, 7156
Can be run full time at 1200 degrees F.

UNITED STATES - UL-103HT for the United States Along with many other tests the UL 103HT Standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10 minute chimney fires at 2100°F. Listing #50195-C7-703403 Rated for 1000 degrees F continuous.

John T.,
During discussions on this site regarding this subject back in 2004, I began to see the difference between "bonding" and "grounding" and the need fot a "dedicated grounding circuit".
You were a big part of those discussions back then, as you are now. During those discussions we got directed, somehow to a guy by the name of Mike Holt who "interprets" the NEC. It was after reading some of his interpretations, that I began seriously considering the 4th wire (dedicated ground) back to the main panel.
I don't know if this link still works, but if it does, one can see the importance of what you are saying. If it doesn't work, anyone interested in learning about electricity, NEC and wiring can get a real education by Googleing Mike Holt.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php/95495-Grounding-amp-Bonding-The-Big-Picture-Post

buickanddeere, why read these "jackleg" responses if they so upset you? You need to learn to chill....it has taken me many years and I'm not always as succesful at chillin' as I'd like to be but I have finally begun to understand that hostility and anxiety will kill you too early. I speak from experience. Do yourself a favor...avoid subjects which upset you when you can, your loved ones will thank you.

John T

I hope I get this right.

The nuteral(grounded conductor)carries the unbalanced load.

The grounding conductor carries fault currents
and voltage spikes.Not sure on this one.

Arguing with the inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. Pretty soon you begin to think they are enjoying it.

Be careful
Stephen

Back when I attended NEC Seminars, Joe McPartland was THE MAN but then Mike Holt arrived on the scene, not sure if Ol Joe is still around?? I heard the Mike Holt name before but I simply cant remember if I attended any of his NEC seminars or not???

Joe then, maybe Mike now??? was on the NEC committee and the ones who approved or disapproved NEC changes or additions, THEY ARE WORLD CLASS TRUE EXPERTS. I have been an electrical engineer since 1969 and worked in the secondary power distribution design field and I couldnt pack water to those guys.......But I do know enough to understand things about the NEC and why its there and why its THE ELECTRICAL BIBLE for design engineers and professional electricians.

One could consider Bonding as a term similar to attaching or wiring together or electrically splicing etc etc. At the service entrance either in the meter base or the weatherhead splice or the main panel the Neutral gets BONDED to a grounding electrode system via a grounding electrode conductor (like No 4 soft bare copper wire). The metal case of a panelboard gets BONDED to the equipment ground buss.

Ive tried my best (so has B n D) but we cant educate non electrical people here about the differencve in Neutral (a GrounDED conductor) and the Equipment GroundING conductor and why THEY ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT BE RE BONDED (spliced/attached)TOGETHER AT SUB PANELS but hey we sure tried lol Also non electrical people get earth grounding confused with equipment safety grounding. Thats not intended bad about the fine well meaning gents, but just because lay persons dont understand electrical and grounding theory (and it cant be taught here in a few sentences, it takes books n book n years) DONT MEAN THE NEC TRUE KNOWLEDGEABLE AND EXPERIENCED EXPERTS ARE WRONG. Likewise its hard to explain to non electrical people why the NEC went to requiring 4 wires (for 120/240 single phase 3 wire) to remote outbuildings BUT ITS BETTER even if they dont understand why (unless and until they can convince the NEC comittee otherwise I guess lol)

Thanks for the kind words and discussion

John T

YOURE LOOKIN GOOD MY FRIEND YESSSSSS YOURE RIGHT

The Neutral is a GrounDED conductor. It carries load imbalance in the typical household 120/240 volt single phase 3 wire and return current back from 120 volt single phase loads. Its a conductor but a grounDED conductor because at the main service entrance (riser or meter base or panel) AND THERE ONLY the Neutral Buss is bonded to say driven earth ground rod or rods (Grounds) by the Grounding Electrode Conductor

YES YES YES The Equipment GroundING conductor is dedicated circuit to carry FAULT CURRENT ONLYYYYYYY.

If you mistakenly re bond Neutral and the Equipment Ground downstream at a sub panel THEN THE EQUIPMENT GROUND BECOMES LIKE A NEUTRAL IT GETS ENERGIZED AND CARRIES NEUTRAL CURRENT

THATS VERY BAD,,,,,,CONFLICTS WITH THE NEC,,,CAN BE HAZARDOUS

Thanks, it makes me feel better that at least someone understands and proper grounding and following the NEC CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE so if in doubt do as it (not me) says versus what non electrical people may say on here if they dont understand it

God Bless you n all here, best wishes

John T NOT a good teacher lol but I do try

There is no specific code reference to the "six foot rule" although it is very commonly used by the AHJ which you rightly pointed out was "my way or the highway". The code requires a disconnecting means at "the point where the conductors enter the building".(2008 NEC 230.70(A)(1)).
If your disconnecting means is the main in a panel, then it has to be behind the meter base if that is where it enters. If you put a disconnecting means either inside OR outside the building, you could run your incoming service as far as you wanted to inside the building. In keeping with this thread, the grounding and bonding would be done at the disconnecting means and 4 wires (2 hots, neutral and groundING conductor would have to be continued from that point.

why are all Canuckian engineers mean and borish oh B&D you fit this you need to chill out and quit being a jerk.You are very smart but comm skills suck

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back