Recreational fuel?

rrman61

The local stripes convenience store in Lafayette,La.
is selling recreational fuel right next to regular gas
for .50 cents less per gallon.its 87 octane.does
anyone know what this is?non-ethanol gas is more
not less

It must be non ethanol.

They couldn't trust everyone if it were not taxed.

I was in Oklahoma a few weeks ago, one place had non ethanol. It was a few cents higher.

Can't even buy it here unless you buy racing or avgas or the cans. Way more expensive that way!

rrman,

Is there any chance what you are looking is 85% ethanol? Here in Middle Tennessee E-85 is in most gas stations. It's always cheaper than 10% ethanol, but I'm not sure that it is $.50 cheaper. My wife has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that can use E-85, but I've never tried it in her car.

Tom in TN

That means no road use tax in the state of Wisconsin. They dye off road fuel red and if you get caught on the road with red fuel, it gets REAL expensive with all the fines.

Put 3 ounces of water and 9 ounces of gas in a jar. Draw a line at the water level. Put in some gas and shake.wait 5 minutes till it separates, see if water is still at the line or really close. If it is up above the line about 10%, it's not ethanol free. Ethanol fuel will pick up the water and not separate. Doesn't have to be those measurements, just a 3 to one ratuo.
Test

What are the current federal taxes and your state taxes on road fuel? That might equal the price difference. The store's website might have an explanation of their different fuels, or a place to ask questions. It does sound like off-road non-taxed fuel.

(quoted from post at 13:15:17 10/22/21) The local stripes convenience store in Lafayette,La.
is selling recreational fuel right next to regular gas
for .50 cents less per gallon.its 87 octane.does
anyone know what this is non-ethanol gas is more
not less

Recreational fuel/gas is non ethanol. 87 to 90 octane most of the time.

If it is E85 (85% ethanol) it would have to be labeled and list as such.

Being it was cheaper than the E10, most likely only because they just bought a tank and the price had jumped up and over the older rec. Fuel they still have. Which is rare since most stations are told what prices to post based on current replacement cost at some upstream supply point.

I read a lot of stuff from people claiming to explain why retail gas prices exhibit the odd changes they go through. Replacement
cost is one of the factors that has nothing to do with current retail pump pricing. Pump pricing also has nothing to do with
terminal or transport delivered prices. In economic terms, the ownership and practices of retail gas stations most resembles a
cartel, and retail pricing decisions follow a leadership-followership model. The easiest summary of the observations over time is
What they think they can get away with.

(quoted from post at 13:21:35 10/22/21) off-highway for ATV or lawnmowers. No road tax.

Never ever seen anywhere or even heard of anywhere in the USA that sells gasoline of any type without paying federal road use taxes on it.

You can get a refund if you buy enough, can show you have a legitimate offroad use such as farming, etc.
When filing income taxes.

But you can't buy it at the pump federal road tax free like red dyed offroad diesel.
Unless it is strictly racing fuel such as 110+ octane and contains lead and not other epa mandated additives.

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 10/22/2021 at 02:24 pm.

(quoted from post at 14:21:04 10/22/21) I read a lot of stuff from people claiming to explain why retail gas prices exhibit the odd changes they go through. Replacement
cost is one of the factors that has nothing to do with current retail pump pricing. Pump pricing also has nothing to do with
terminal or transport delivered prices. In economic terms, the ownership and practices of retail gas stations most resembles a
cartel, and retail pricing decisions follow a leadership-followership model. The easiest summary of the observations over time is

Steve, you left out the part about Bill Gates setting the price every day after reading his favorite blogs, LOL.

(quoted from post at 18:21:04 10/22/21) I read a lot of stuff from people claiming to explain why retail gas prices exhibit the odd changes they go through. Replacement
s

I will say your wrong on the replacement cost has nothing to do with it.
The vast majority of retailers are not independent mom and pop stations.
My wife worked at a station as a cashier for about three years, ten years ago. They might get six calls a day to change the prices.
Sometimes it was soon after the competition nearby changed their price. And she swore that the head office could read real time data some how on how much was pumping at her station.
And that they could also monitor the price of nearby stations remotely. A couple of years after she left, the head office could change the prices remotely.

Recreational fuel is usually used to describe ethanol free fuel.
Lots of places carry it around here for use in boats.
I have no explanation for why it is so cheap as compared to E10 fuel.

As far as pump pricing goes.
The wholesale price of fuel only sets a bottom for what you will sell your fuel for at the pump.
Differant retailers pay differant prices for fuel at the wholesale level.
From there the retail price is set as high as the market will handle.
What the guy across the street is selling gas for has more to do with what your pump price will be than what you paid for it.
You can really see this with road diesel fuel.
A convenience store like Racetrac might be selling the exact same diesel from the same wholesale supplier for 20 or more cents less than the Pilot truck stop across the street.
And then again most large companies that buy fuel from places like Pilot truck stops do not pay the price on the pump anyway.

It wasnt labeled non-ethanol,e-85 or anything else but 87 octane recreational fuel and the 50cent difference is really strange if it is non ethanol

At the terminal big oil would call you a price a 4:00 pm and you had till midnight to pull it. Then you only had till 6:00 to pick it up. Then big oil started changing prices at 2:00 and at 6:00 in the afternoon and took affect intermediately. The mom and pops stations could not win the price game because they did not own their own tankers. So now here we have no local mon and pops. Now most of the time we have the highest price gas around. Bigger is better right.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back