Red Case 2096 with guts out of it!

So guy close by has a fairly nice looking 2096 CASE IH he would like to sell. Five years ago it gave him trouble and he took it to the local dealer. They took it apart and found some parts bad in the transmission. Then told him the parts were no longer available. So he had them leave out the trans parts and bolt it back together so it could be hauled. He has the parts in a box and I could only see two bad plates, they had the tabs broken off. A58056 and A155859. Both of those show available now. It has good 16.9-38 tires and a good set of duals are in the shed. It will also need batteries. The solenoid for the starter is busted as well. I have not rebuilt a power shift since the late 80's but the parts look familiar. It has 5803 hours. Should I make an offer? I sure don't need another tractor, but I do like a challenge. I would appreciate your thoughts! I posted here because it is a Case/IH. Thanks Guys!

just because its red its still a case, is all I got to say. not the best tractors. its from when the merging took place.

Great engine but not so great transmission. Never really knew what line the transmission came from. I see them often with trans issues at auctions.

cvphoto18803.jpg

I drove a 2096 for a few acres back when they were fairly new. I believe they were the first to have the CDC engine. Smaller than the big old 504 in my 2090 but more horsepower. The transmission was the same Case power shift they'd had for years. Not a bad transmission but it did not stand abuse well.

It's the same trany as the 2290/94 basically. If all the parts are there it should be fixable. There are some parts that are nla, but they are easy to find at salvage yards. Those that claim that is a bad transmission just listen to the propaganda, they are very reliable if maintained properly, just like any other brand. Make sure you use real Case hytran oil in it and they last a long time.

While I like Case tractors, I must say these tractors are not very valuable on auctions around here. Guys are afraid of them, dealers that sold them are mostly gone, as are the mechanics that knew how to fix them. I think if you know how to fix this tractor, and can find a use for it, good deal for you. Probably hard to resell.

I have hauled home alot of items that "all it needs is these few parts". Most of the time it ends up needing a whole lot more.

Can you give us the right scoop? I just want to learn. I thought these were great tractors from my very limited experience with what I think was a 2290.

Paul

I'm wondering if since you can't look inside of what's left there may be more damage to be found when pulled apart again ? So maybe you can work a deal with the guy to either let you fix it for him or at least pull it apart in your shop first. Unless it is sold per pound at scrap price I'd hate to risk it.

A lot of nice comments on this! I really like SV's. I am sure that if I got into it I would find that several more parts may be needed. And I know that it is a MERGE tractor. The trans is about the same as the 70 series Case. But with some electronic controls. No one offered any dollar figures! Like I said I don't need another tractor. Just hate to see it go to the scrap iron yard. He has sold the loader off of it. And he used it on a big round bailer. The bailer may be what took out the powershift. Anyway, how about throwing out some numbers for me?

The case trany is very
misunderstood and bashed
unnecessarily. They are very
reliable, better than many
like the IH ta. The
shortcoming is that you need
to maintain them and use
Hytran oil. But one said they
don't take abuse well which is
not true, they handle hard use
much better than most. And the
John Deere guys like to bad
mouth them, but one of them
made his living for years
working on jds and never calls
them lemons, another just
spent all winter trying to get
a couple jds field worthy and
doesn't call them lemons
either. My dad bought a 970
new in 76 and my brother still
has it and I'm sure it has
over 10k hours on a mechanical
tach and the trany has never
been touched. It was always
the main horse on the dairy
and used hard. The most common
cause of failure is using
incorrect oil and loosing the
relief valves from the oil
filter when changing them. The
18/2096 are just the 20/2290
rear with a 5.9 Cummins on the
front. Great tractors, but
case guys were not as
impressed because that smaller
Cummins just doesn't have the
awesome lugging power the case
504 in the 20/2290 had. Still
great motors tho.

They were far more dependable than the TA's in the real red tractors, but replacing TAs was just routine maintenance. Everyone knew how to do that.
The Case power shift was much the same as JD's PS. Hyd clutch packs, planitaries, and gears controlled by a hydraulic valve to actuate and drop clutch packs.
Loren

Using it on a baler won't hurt it, that's another false thing reported. But guessing repair costs is hard without seeing it. A basic seal, gasket, torque limiter can be done for about $500 in parts. If you need plannetaries and other major parts you could get $6k in parts.

Like I said scrap price. I can't give numbers as price per pound varies by location. I don't know what it weighs either.
Go to tractor house or data and find shipping weight. Also call local scrap yard and find out current price per pound is. Can't get hurt with those figures added up.

$1,000 or whatever a salvage yard will offer you less the cost to haul it to the salvage yard. They may be great tractors, but if you have to resell it in its present condition, salvage price may may be all you could get for it.

Check what they sell for in running condition, it is possible the cost of repairs could make it a money pit even if it was free.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back