removing rust particals from an inner tube

FarmerHR

I am working on a Ford NAA. I needed to remove the front tires from the rims. Every thing was in good shape except there were chuncks of rust on part of one tube.
Should I be concerned about this ? The tubes have held air for several years.
Would it be a good idea to clean these particals off the inner tube ? I am concerned about causing leaks when removing the rust.
If it is good ide, what is the best way to remove the chucks of rust ?
Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Thank You

You don't say why you needed to remove the tires. Personally, with the work involved to dismount the tires, I would consider getting some quality new radial tubes and replace them; especially if installing new tires. You can inflate the tubes to stretch them, and a lot of the scales will pop off, while inflated rub the scale, by hand, with a rag to get more off.

While the tires are off, you are cleaning the rust from the inner area of the rims, doing repairs to the rims as needed and giving the inside of the rims a proper paint coating as well to lessen future rusting, correct?

If you so consider buying new tubes, the old ones come in handy for a few things like wrapping some rubber around the draft control spring to keep water out, or making an insulator for the back of the terminal block for example.

JIM.ME
Many thanks for your help. I had removed the tires from the rims so that I could clean the rust off, remove all traces of the rust, ,and put a couple of coats of paint on the inside of the rims to protect them for the future. They are in very good condition for a tractor built in 1954 ! One had just a little surface rust in a few spots and the other one was covered with rust about 25% of the circumference. I donot believe they were ever loaded with chloride ( front Rims).
The tubes look really good ecept for the chuncks of rust. They are very fexible, show no surface discoloration, and are a like new color.
That is why I asked the questions. I was thinking of reusing them. One tube has no patches and the other one has one small hot patch. I would guess that they are replacement tubes since the tractor is a 1954 model.
I would appreciate any additional comments you have.
Many Thanks

Depending on the condition of the tire and use factors, at times I reuse some tubes. Patched (the old hot patches are better than the new chemical ones, IMO), stretched out, wrinkled, and tubes with pitting from rust or foreign material in a tire are more likely to fail sooner. I've seen too many that have wrinkle creases fail over the years. Cracks starting to show around the base of the valve stem is something to watch. If I know I am going to have to replace the tire soon or have to get a flat going right away to use, I may patch/reuse an old tube, but I try to keep new tubes of the common sizes we have, on hand. I have been having the best results using radial tubes (not necessarily the cheapest ones I can find and sized so they stretch a bit to reduce wrinkling chances) in even bias ply tires. I also use the plastic valve stem bushings in the 5/8" nominal rim holes, if the tubes have the TR13 size stem. Many implement tubes had/have a TR15 stem which filled those holes. The TR13s are smaller for the auto rim holes (.453), the bushings center them and provide some support for the stem. I also try to recondition and paint the rims if the tire is off, another reason I lean to new tubes, if the tire has reasonable life left.

These are just my thoughts, and what works for me. Others will have different thoughts and that is fine, their method works for them which is the important thing here. To replace or not, is your choice in the end, you are the one looking at the tubes and will be living with the results of your choices.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back