Repairs to Howse 500 rotary cutter

Mad Farmer

Hi folks.

I thought I was just going to have to replace the blades and the bolt assys that hold them.

I got under it to look over things and the bolts are actually loose in the flywheel/stumpjumper. I don't think the nuts worked loose as they have been on since purchase ~1990. Looking through access hole the nuts don't seem to have backed off the bolts.

Is this a common problem/occurance? It just started making noise from tapping the deck a bit last summer and I figured I'd bent a blade or the pivot on the bolts/blades were worn out.

I'm a little concerned now the flywheel/stumpjumper may be damaged too. That is the bolt holes wollered out.

I'll know for sure when I have time to pull things apart. I'm assuming I'll have to torch the bolts off as they are probably going to spin. I can do that if needed

Would it be worth seeing if they'd tighten up first? I have my doubts as to that as they are pretty floppy right now. What are chances flywheel/stumpjumper is shot?

Next question. If I have to pull off the flywheel/stumpjumper how much of a PITA is that and do you need some sort of puller? It's been on there 30 years. Part is still available.

If I have that off worth replacing the seal? Have had no leaks all these years.

What are chances flywheel/stumpjumper is shot?

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]Is this a common problem/occurance? [/color:cf9a93f613]

I won't say as to how common but it happens. The bolts may not have been tight enough to begin with and they, or the blade holder holes, have worn during operation. The nuts are likely rusted in place, "Loctited", or I have even seen some tack welded to the bolts.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]I'm a little concerned now the flywheel/stumpjumper may be damaged too. That is the bolt holes wollered out.[/color:cf9a93f613]

You answered you own question here, you need to look at the holes and bolts to determine the wear.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]Would it be worth seeing if they'd tighten up first?[/color:cf9a93f613]

You can always try tightening them, but I think you know the answer.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]What are chances flywheel/stumpjumper is shot?[/color:cf9a93f613]

Only removing the bolts so you can check the holes, using new bolts, will tell for certain, but I'd say odds are likely better than 50/50 new bolts won't hold without some work on the holes.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]If I have to pull off the flywheel/stumpjumper how much of a PITA is that and do you need some sort of puller? It's been on there 30 years.[/color:cf9a93f613]

Most need a good sized puller of some type, heat, and some thumping with a big hammer to get them off.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]If I have that off worth replacing the seal? [/color:cf9a93f613]

After all the work to tear it down that far it wouldn't make sense to me not replace the seal and check the bearings for looseness. You won't be helping the seal if you have to fight and heat to remove the flywheel/stump jumper.

[color=blue:cf9a93f613]What are chances flywheel/stumpjumper is shot?[/color:cf9a93f613]

Only getting the blades off and inspection of the bolt holes will answer that.

Just my thoughts, others may very, good luck

Thanks for the advice. I've got a set of torches so I'm set there, might need to refill a tank?

I'm not sure where to locate a big puller? And what type would work best.

There was a guy on youtube that used two large bolts with washers stacked up that fit through the bolt holes in the stumpjumper after he got the blades off. He used two wrenches to put pressure on the washers. He got it to pop off after also heating it.

Any thoughts on this method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qWwGptNwE

(quoted from post at 11:37:30 05/02/21)
Thanks for the advice. I've got a set of torches so I'm set there, might need to refill a tank?

I'm not sure where to locate a big puller? And what type would work best.

There was a guy on youtube that used two large bolts with washers stacked up that fit through the bolt holes in the stumpjumper after he got the blades off. He used two wrenches to put pressure on the washers. He got it to pop off after also heating it.

Any thoughts on this method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7qWwGptNwE

His method puts the strain of holding the shaft in place, against the outward force on the blade holder, on the internals of the gear box. Also depending on the way the deck is built it may only be the deck sheet under the bolts, which could deform.

To me the proper set up is the puller should exert an inward force on the shaft as outward force is put on the blade holder to prevent damage to the gearbox. The removal forces remain only on the shaft and blade holder, not on the bearings and gearbox.

As to the puller itself you will likely need to build one to fit the project. Ideally you would get behind the blade holder close to the shaft, but short of putting holes in the stump jumper, or removing it from the blade holder, that isn't accessible. Something like a 1/4" thick (or thicker), 3 x 3 square square tubing with holes in each end to match the blade holder holes, some 3/4" or bigger bolts (if you use all thread it should be B7 grade and matching nuts, not the hardware store bin grade 2 rod) and a 10 ton porta power ram (or hydraulic jack that will work in the horizontal position) to go between the tube and end of the shaft, might work. You need to take care not to bend the blade holder or damage the shaft. Beware it might jump off the shaft when it comes free. Put something on it to catch it if possible.

I understand what you are suggesting making the puller.

I wonder if a very large bolt, or threaded rod in the center of the puller could be used instead of the hydraulic jack. The tip could be ground to a point so it would center on the shaft, and use some nuts/washers to pull things using an open end wrench.

Either way I'd leave the nut that holds the flywheel/jumper partially threaded on, to keep the whole setup from popping off when it breaks free.

Will have to think on this one a while.

(quoted from post at 12:16:26 05/03/21)
I understand what you are suggesting making the puller.

I wonder if a very large bolt, or threaded rod in the center of the puller could be used instead of the hydraulic jack. The tip could be ground to a point so it would center on the shaft, and use some nuts/washers to pull things using an open end wrench.

Either way I'd leave the nut that holds the flywheel/jumper partially threaded on, to keep the whole setup from popping off when it breaks free.

Will have to think on this one a while.

Yes a large bolt, or All thread, with a nut can be used in stead of a jack/ram. Either way you do not want pressure on the nut which could distort threads of the nut and/or shaft.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back