repower a 770

Ok the 550/77 post got me thinking. Can anyone tell me what it might take to put a 440 Dodge in a 770 tractor? I bought one with a stuck motor. The 440 is rather too hot for the tractor it dyno"d just over 500 but I guess ya don"t have to use them all anyway. Maybe it"s just plain stupid. I figure you guy"s will fill me in on that one.
 
Something like this?
a32414.jpg
 
Well let me see--seems to me sometime way back when--someone decided to put car engines in tractors. So started the Modified tractor pullers. These two Olivers below pretty much is what started the trend in the late 60's/early 70's. It was when they started the 2 and 3 engine rail tractors that transmissions and differentials would not hold up. In other words "put in in there and have some fun"!
 
I have always been thrilled by engine swap tractors. Used to do them at the shop when I was a kid. Tractors here were used to run water pumps so there were a lot of good tractors with plum junk engines. Inlines 6's were the most commom, 292 chevy, 300 ford, but ANYTHING that could be made to fit somehow was tried. Two things I learned from those old tractors. 1-The drivetrain will handle at least 5 times the horsepower it was designed for. 2-Car engines are about 1/4 as durable as tractor engines. The ones that held up best for real tractor use where from medium trucks. Mostly because of the difference in valves and seats. But, I'd try it!!!!
 
I'm sure that big Chevy engine didn't bolt right up to the 88 bell housing, so what kind of shaft did you couple to the tractor input shaft?
 
It's not mine. Some of those guys actually use an automatic transmission in between there.
 
rrlund - You take those pictures at Oakley? That's the only place I make it to around here that has tractors like that. Hard to tell from the background.

As for the topic at hand, you need to make sure it fits in the tub, find a way to connect the engine to the trans input.
 
my dad put a 460 in a Farmall M. not sure how or what all he did but it sounded great with dual straight pipes and had power then he sold it to a guy that "had to have it" now it just sits
 
my dad put a 460 in a Farmall M. not sure how or what all he did but it sounded great with dual straight pipes and had power then he sold it to a guy that "had to have it" now it just sits
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top