respray time

ldj

I sprayed sherwin williams oil base. Direction says 8 hours drying time for respray. Thankfully I sprayed some on scrap setting spray pattern. After 16 hours I used some rattle can paint with acetone in it to do some trim on the scrap and it wrinkled what I had sprayed 16 hours before. How long should I wait to be able to do the trim without wrinkling?

I have always found oil paints
to take a very long time to cure
and dry and not what the can
says before they fully harden.
It may be best to use oil paint
instead of the 1 with the
acetone in it.

It would have taken more than a year for the enamel to have hardened up enough to use rattle can paint over the top. Then you couldn't have put a thick juicy coat on either. From where you are allow the enamel paint dry a week before you sand it smooth. Then touch it up with the same enamel.

Oil base is not as clear a description as whether it is alkyd enamel which takes months to dry or acrylic enamel which dries in minutes. In my opinion Acrylic is better all around and though it costs 2.5 times more than Alkyd it is 1/10 the price of the automotive paints. Using alkyd is valuing your prep time at $.10/ hour. You are worth mote than that.

Rattle cans are not an economical buy. They contain about 4 ounces of paint. If $12 per can, that translates to $384 per gallon.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back