Guess I'm an oddball. I didn't retire until I was 85. Health issues pretty much took me out of the game.

I simply enjoyed what I was doing. But, to each his own.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
You will like it. Almost 42 years that's a long time. I thought 36 years for me was a long time, you have me beat. I have been retired about 15 years. Stan
 
Some here retired early (as did I a year ago at 62). Some retired really late. Either way, you have to have something to retire into. Hobbies. Travel. Volunteer labor. The coffee club is a good thing to keep the BS genes alive. But too, if you enjoy what you do for work, working well beyond the typical retirement age is OK too. As you age, if the bills can be paid, working because you want to, instead of have to, and the ability to quit at a moment's notice, is quite freeing.

Oh......and.........without having someone else setting your time (days & times needed to be at work), get used to having to stop to think whether it is Tuesday or February.

Enjoy your new found freedom !
 
Congratulations on you upcoming retirement. I retired 9 years ago at 62 because of heart problems and have been enjoying life ever since. Make sure that you kinda keep yourself busy and don;t just sit around. I still get up at 5 every morning and keep busy in my shop with my tractors and other odd jobs. You'll grow into it. Enjoy yourself.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
I'll bet that you will find yourself driving to the landing to check up on the guys to make sure that they are gittin it done!
 
I retired in 2009 at 54 after 30 years of working in Public Works for a small city in Florida. State Retirement System & Social Security keep me in enough cash to play with my tractors, old cars and old trucks and old motorcycles.. When I retired, I had five bosses and they were all city politicians. I had everything paid off and when I walked out the door, I never looked back. I get up in the morning and step out the front door and look around. The first thing I see that catches my attention is what I choose to work (play) on that day. I love every minute of retirement.
 
I agree, retirement is great, have been enjoying it for 11years now. Retired at 64. A couple of things though. First you need to have a plan to keep busy and interested. Not just a couple of projects you don't have time for now but on going interests. Second, have you a plan for health care? Medicare isn't available until you are 65 and health care is expensive. Eleven yrs. ago I bought it through the COBRA plan from my employer and it was around $800 a month back then which I paid for 8 or so months so I could be retired for the summer.
 
I agree, retirement is great, have been enjoying it for 11years now. Retired at 64. A couple of things though. First you need to have a plan to keep busy and interested. Not just a couple of projects you don't have time for now but on going interests. Second, have you a plan for health care? Medicare isn't available until you are 65 and health care is expensive. Eleven yrs. ago I bought it through the COBRA plan from my employer and it was around $800 a month back then which I paid for 8 or so months so I could be retired for the summer.
Yes I work for the State of Tennessee and I can keep my insurance for what I pay now until I'm 65 they'll take it out of my retirement check. Then at 65 I can turn it into a supplemental to go with Medicare. I got a lot to do around my place I've got 11 acres and a bunch of stuff I want to build and do. Staying busy won't be a problem.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
All the best with your decision to retire..........:)
The definition of retirement is totally different for each one of us.
I retired at age 58,and have been working on my to do bucket list since 2022....
If I had led my life differently ,I would have retied at age 55.
 
I am 62, planning on retiring at 65. Can't swing the insurance otherwise. Any hints on doing that? As I get nearer I am getting cold feet thinking I need to stay in the workforce the way prices have gone in the past couple of years. Is that a normal fear?
 
Yes I would say it is I feel a little scared myself. I can hunt and fish and grow my own garden if I have to in order to eat. About the insurance that's one reason I stayed with the state because of that and the retirement. With my ss and retirement I'll be making $750.00 less each month but in 2 years my house payment will be gone and that's how much it is. So it may be a little lean for awhile but with God all things are possible!
 
Best to retire while you're still alive, makes it much more enjoyable. If money is your worry keep working and you won't have to worry about it.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
Yeah! Happy for you! I just turned 62 and I'm counting the days as well but I think I need two more years before I bite the bullet and buy medical insurance. My wife is 20 month younger than I. But I think we've done a good enough job saving and planning to pull this off. I have a lot of things I want to do at our acreage too and i certainly don't think i will be bored.
 
Yeah! Happy for you! I just turned 62 and I'm counting the days as well but I think I need two more years before I bite the bullet and buy medical insurance. My wife is 20 month younger than I. But I think we've done a good enough job saving and planning to pull this off. I have a lot of things I want to do at our acreage too and i certainly don't think i will be bored.
Neighbor of mine said,,,if I spend my last dime on the day I die,,,,,just right.
 
Hung it up in 2007 at 52 years old 34 years with local school system. Been fantastic. Driving a mobile medical truck couple days a week now. It is short term. New program and wife was good friend with lady in charge. Told them i would help get program going. We travel. Been in 11 foreign countries since retiring. Planning trip to norway next fall/winter.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
Well congratulations , if you get bored you can always drive on up to Dover Tn and help me out. Had a heart problem 15 years ago , turned the dealership over to the younger generation. Never looked back now stay busier than ever but do it at my one pace. Get you some coffee friends , to keep up the morning gossip then work on those projects. have fun and enjoy
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
Best of luck to you. Sorry about your wife. I'm right behind you. Have fun, you've earned it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top