Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
i enjoyed my job, but got real upset one day at work. it was my 55th bday. i stood up and stated " i buried my wife and raised my kids. it's my turn". and left. i had worked there 37 years. to this day i don't know what came over me. i was terrified later that afternoon when i realized what i'd done. best thing i've ever done. you will be fine. good luck
 
I also retired at 58, 13 years ago, from a job I truly enjoyed. My adjustment was as long as it took to walk out the door. I started planning and saving for it at 23, so for my wife (retired 9 months later at 56) and me, the financial side has not been an issue. For me, having plenty of hobbies (hunting, fishing, golf, reading books, old cars and tractors) has been the key. Our last dog and cat passed shortly after we retired and that has made travel worry free. A fair number of people disagree, but I'm a strong proponent of retiring as early as you can.View attachment 61160View attachment 61165
I am looking forward to summer when i can drive my39 ford go to some tractor and cow shows and be not concerned about what tomorrow brings,
this year i will be president of local Lions club on church and township board. send time with Sue B Maybe go to some toy auctions man cannot ever have to many toys
 
Congratulations on your decision to retire. It can be a tough call as to when the time is right. While we still farm ourselves, growing crops now leaves us with plenty of time to do other things. All the best to you in your future in devours. We are the same age, and somehow I just feel funny about being in retirement.
 
I went in by the boss at 62.5 and told him I'm done, he said "is it that bad here?" i said not at all, its the 45 years behind me! We laughed, I went and picked up a bottle for the two office girls and one for him and his brother and never looked back. I still have plenty to do. Taking care of our place, ma's place, helping son in laws, restoring some old tractors and a '78 Dodge Ramcharger.
 
Congratulations on your decision to retire. It can be a tough call as to when the time is right. While we still farm ourselves, growing crops now leaves us with plenty of time to do other things. All the best to you in your future in devours. We are the same age, and somehow I just feel funny about being in retirement.
Another victim of autocorrect. Too bad autocorrect can't parse out context. I'm sure you meant endevours, but autocorrect changed it to "devours." There just isn't any way that would sound right unless you were talking about a hot dog or pie eating contest. Hmmm... the pie eating contest might be right up your alley, eh?
 
Another victim of autocorrect. Too bad autocorrect can't parse out context. I'm sure you meant endevours, but autocorrect changed it to "devours." There just isn't any way that would sound right unless you were talking about a hot dog or pie eating contest. Hmmm... the pie eating contest might be right up your alley, eh?
You are correct, I have been automatically corrected into saying something I never said , lol !
 
Enjoy. I retired at 55, health reasons, and being a supervisor was not fun anymore. Wife was worried, what would I do, but I fell right into retirement. I was tired. In my mind, I am busier than I have ever been. Almost 68 now....James
I too retired at 55 in 2004 after my wife passed in 2000.
I waited until I reached full age to draw my SS.
Only wish I had retired the day I graduated college.
32920.jpg
 
Last edited:
Well congratulations , if you get bored you can always drive on up to Dover Tn and help me out. Had a heart problem 15 years ago , turned the dealership over to the younger generation. Never looked back now stay busier than ever but do it at my one pace. Get you some coffee friends , to keep up the morning gossip then work on those projects. have fun and enjoy
Jerry
You have no fear of running out of projects.
 
Well after 41 years and 10 months come September 30th I'm retiring. After losing my wife in 2021 if something would happen to me all my retirement and social security would just be gone. So I'm cashing in at 62 which I'll be on September 13th. It's kind scary since I've worked ever since I was 16 at a full time job. But with all of that time I can do the landscaping around my house I moved into a year ago. And to keep it tractor related I'll have no excuse not to fix everything on my 640 and 3000 that needs done. Not to mention getting the 230 MF put back together and get the Jubilee and other 3000 fixed. I'll probably be on here a lot more to. My dog Luke will be happy and I'm sure he'll be right beside me all the time! Wish me luck and prayers to adjust and be alright. Thanks.
Congratulations. Once the adjustment period is over you will be fine. Doing what you like to do and answering to no one will free your mind. Enjoy what you worked all those years for.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top