Reversing Switch

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I am going to install a reversing switch on a motor, a "drum " switch from Grainger. The center position is "off" , but is the motor actually off as in not drawing current , or do I need a separate on-off switch. Thanks Guys..........
 
Don't know what "code" requires nowadays, but the old stuff just had the "center off" drum switch.

So, "OFF" is "OFF", but there MAY be other requirements, depending upon who you have to satisfy.
 
DC reverser swutch hookup -X X+


X--motor--X


+X X-
DPDT switch
+X are wired together and to + supply
-X are wired together and to - supply or ground.
 
I did that on my drill press. Ran the power to the drum switch then it distributed it to the proper terminals of the motor when selected forward or reverse. Yes it does interrupt the hot wire.

You must have a motor that is designed to be reversed. Does it have wiring diagrams on it that show terminals to run it CW and CCW?

I recall that it took seven wires between the switch and the motor to make it work. This was on a Dayton/Grainger motor/drill press.

Charles
 
Yes , it is a reversable motor, just switch two wires. I bought an old Atlas lathe with a small motor on it . A few weeks later I picked up a 3/4 hp Atlas motor at a yard sale!! Just needed the bearings cleaned and lubed. Now I can complete the restoration to stock !!
 
Also good for tapping holes, screw extractors, and if you've ever bound up a drill bit you'll appreciate having reverse.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top