Charlie M

When I bought my F14 many years ago I saw duct tape had been put on the front rims before mounting the tires. I've finally got around to putting on new tires which means cleaning up the rims. Turns out someone had left the rubber liner on the rim which is now rusted tight to the rim and then covered the entire inside of the rim with duct tape. I was afraid the tape had sealed in enough moisture to have started rotting holes in the rim but now that I have it off the rim looks pretty solid - just very rusty. I think it will clean up nicely. Not sure why someone applied duct tape vs a coat of paint. I guess someone though it was a good idea at the time.

When the duct tape is in your tool box and the paint is at the store.....

Most likely the rust was already pretty bad on the rims when he installed the new tubes and put the duct tape on the help protect them from the rust wearing holes in the tubes. Do you have a sand blaster?

I'm having good luck with a wire brush on an angle grinder and a needle scaler. Its not going to be pristine but I've done that on a lot of old rims that worked fine. I'll apply a rust killer, then paint it up and put back on my new tire with a new tube. Then on to the other front tire.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back