4560 tire/rim replacement

Mikemes

New User
I have a 1962 Farmall 460 which is semi-retired. I don't do much plowing anymore, etc. Mostly pulling things and front loader work.

I have to replace my back tires which are worn, and I need to replace my back rims which are rusted out. My present tires are safemark multiangle 13.6 by 38.
My rims are 14 inch wide.

I would like to replace the tires and rims, and ultimately have the back end lowered by 2 inches. I also will not be using fluid in the tires and will just use
wheel weights which are already on the tractor.

What medium priced tires and rims does anybody recommend that would accomplish that?

Thanks for answering, since I have no idea what to get.

You would need 11.2 tires. Those are too small for a 460. Stay with the 13.6. Why do you want to drop it 2? Easier mounting? Just build a step,add a handhold.

Like Delta said or since you have the 14 inch rims just replace them and go to a 15.5 they would be a bit shorter maybe have to look on a tire height to size ratio chart for that. The 15.5 is a low profile tire so you would be able to keep your tire width for traction. Other wise just keep the 13.6 and add the step if for getting on. IF the front sets to low just up size the new tires next time.

Short story short, there is no such thing as "medium priced rims." Tires run the gamut from cheap to expensive, but there are only a couple of rim manufacturers.

Unless the rims are so bad that there's no saving them, you will want to use the old rims if at all possible. The price of new rims will make your jaw drop.

You are stuck with 38" diameter rims. It's not like you can get 34" rims and put them on the existing hubs to get your 2" drop in the rear. Looks like the smallest you can get in a 38" tire is 11.2x38. The tractor will look absolutely ridiculous with tiny pizza cutter tires and the nose sticking up in the air. 460's already run uphill with the stock tires. You will not be happy.

Just thought of something else. They're rare and I've only ever seen them a couple times, but 460s could have come with optional 34" tires on stamped steel 9-bolt rims. I don't know where you'd get the hubs to fit. Like I said I've only ever seen it a couple times. Seems like half the 560s and 656s came with 34" on stamped steel 9-bolt rims, but hardly any 460s did.

If you have a later 460 with the 2-3/4" diameter rear axles you could get a set of 34" rims and hubs off of a 560 or 656 and put 14.9x34's on them to get your lowering. The drawbar will be dragging on the ground so don't go anywhere that's wet.

(quoted from post at 01:47:22 11/26/23) Like Delta said or since you have the 14 inch rims just replace them and go to a 15.5 they would be a bit shorter maybe have to look on a tire height to size ratio chart for that. The 15.5 is a low profile tire so you would be able to keep your tire width for traction. Other wise just keep the 13.6 and add the step if for getting on. IF the front sets to low just up size the new tires next time.

I think you answered my question. I should have been more clearer in my question.

I didn't mention I also had a farmall 400 which sits 2 inches lower with similar tires but it had 15.5 rims. The bead on the 400 tires was 1 inch less, which caused the 400 to sit 1 inch lower to the ground if measuring from the ground to the axle. But 2 inches lower if measuring from the ground to the top of the tire.

Since I couldn't read the model tire on the 460, I didn't know if the model tires were different or the wider rim on the 400 was causing the tire to sit lower. You wouldn't think that one inch lower makes a difference, but that plus the wider rims seem tio give the 400 a much better feeling of stability while on the tractor. Thanks

Well being and old 460 owner and putting new tires on what i did was went from the 13.6x38 to a 15.5 x38 Firestone super all trac , They are the same height as a 13.6 but wider . Now granted they did not cost as much back then plus they were Firestone TEST tires from the test center just 14 miles from me . They were mounted put on a test tractor then hooked to a cart with weight then driven on the road for fifty miles and removed and set to the Firestone store . use to get fantastic deals on tractor rears there.

You are right, one inch and whatever is going on with the rims and tires doesn't make that much difference. The "feeling of stability" is all in your head. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Maybe what you need on the 460 is a different seat. When I encountered our old 560 on Craigslist some years after Dad had traded it in, someone had put a cheap "706/806" style 3-piece seat on it. It felt like I was going to fall off. The original deluxe seat was not like that.

Those simple pan seats like what come on the 400 are amazingly stable and give you a good "butt feel." You wouldn't think so, but they do.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back