Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
How well do these things work in saving lifes? Will it really help in keeping the machine from rolling over on you???
 
They work, need to buckle yourself in though. The ones from the factory were designed just for that purpose. The aftermarket ones may just be there to support a canopy.
 
The ROPS does nothing to keep a machine from rolling over. With ROPS you have your seat belt on and rool over, it keeps you from gitting your head smashed.
 
The only thing I found them good for is catching limbs on trees and then letting go. If you are lucky they only knock you out as they come swinging back. Been hit by a few so far been lucky haven't been seriously hurt. They don't call then headache bars for nothing.

Walt
 
That is the purpose of them, in conjunction with a seat that has a belt to secure you in place, which you must use for it to function as designed. Properly designed, specific to a particular tractor, they became required in the late 60's or early 70's.

Definitely a good idea, to not trust anything that was not designed and fabricated for a particular tractor, by the original manufacturer or qualified aftermarket, based on a design that has been engineered for the purpose.

One eye opener is what I remember reading on a government site, (was an o.s.h.a. site I think), was investigation reports, particularly ones about fatalities arising from rops that failed, and were not designed and fabricated to meet the requirements to support the weight of the tractor and protect the operator. Some of the bizarre occurences I can recall reading there, all tragic, but true, really makes one aware of the potential turnover and other kinds of accidents that can happen. It is best to play it safe, using care when operating and never over extending the limitations of the tractor or equipment one is using in whatever conditions that may be encountered,like side hills, lifting things, towing things etc.

A low center of gravity tractor with adequate ballast, having a certified rops and seat, being buckled in, sure gives one some peace of mind on hills and other conditions.
 
My farming partner recently added a ROPS to the loader tractor that has been here for ten years. I forgot it was on and nearly tore out the roof on the side shed when moving out the used oil barrel. Also agree it is a great device to catch and whip tree limbs when mowing. If I were to install one (which will likely never happen), it would have the fold-down option. Might help if it had the FOBS canopy that you could see/sense to remind one that something other than the exhaust stack and your head/body was exposed above the basic tractor.
 
Saw a Green county mower rig get too close to ditch and roll a few years back, driver pushed out back window and climbed out from bottom of ditch, borrowed cell phone from other driver that stopped and called for tow truck. Heard him say had a headache, might want a motorcycle helmet like witness (me) was wearing next time out, but ROPS was a lifesaver. RN
 
Was loading tractor on to wet trailer, slid off ramps rolled off trailer sideways. I was thrown off the tractor slid across grass about 10 feet. Tractor was on its side when I looked back. They say you are suppose to wear seatbelt with ROPS but im glad I didnt that day cause it prob would have smacked me against the ground instead of throwing me away from it. It killed the tractor so no engine damage but the hood and front housing didnt servive. I would recommend ROPS on any tractor with out a cab.
 
You are one of the very few that had that outcome, most end up pinned under the tractor. I would'nt try those odds again, buckle up.
 
They definitly save lives by not letting the tractor go all the way over in a side roll or backflip. They have been manditory on tractors in Australia for years and I never operate without one. I teach tractor operating and we instruct people to wear seatbelts and stay with the tractor if they think they are about to go over. Have a look in the stuck and troubled photo gallery and compare ROPS and non-ROPS rollovers.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top