Rotary Cutter blades digs into ground

pburchett

Does anyone have a solution to this problem. My new rotary cutter s blades dig in to the ground. The problem is that the cutters blade tips are even with the bottom of the side bands.

Before mowing I always set the cutter up so that it rides with the front skid shoes 3 inches off the ground and the rear 5 1/2 inches off the ground. I do this inside the barn on the concrete floor with 2x4 and a 2x6 lumber. Of course I do not own any land that is flat so ocassionally the cutter will ride on the skid shoes. A lot of times when the skid shoes hit the ground the blades will dig into the ground if the terrian is not level.
Any suggestions are apprecieated.

mvphoto43390.jpg

mvphoto43391.jpg

Odd, indeed.

I've never seen a rough cut rotary mower so built. All that I have seen are designed such that the blades are about 1" above the skid shoes.

I would check with the dealer to assure that the proper blades are installed. Blades with varying offset are available.

Also check to assure that the correct blade bolts are installed and that they are properly tightened.

Dean

Strange. If that were my deck, I'd add auxiliary skids to the sides to raise it an inch or two, OR would add gauge wheels at the front corners -- or both.

I agree. Even the old clunker my dad had, it had adjustable shoes on the sides
like a snow plow blade. We set them all of the way down. Nothing like hitting
an old building corner stone to wake you up.

3" is about where we set our lawn mower. That's pretty tight for mowing with a bush hog. I'd raise the front up closer to where you've got the rear.

I think you are suppose to run it level. Raise your 3 point so front is being carried at 5 and half inches. Or if you want to cut shorter, lower the tail wheel. But where ever you
set cut the mower has to end up level.

That looks like a pretty well designed cutter, I guess I would just add some lower skid shoes to it. Or, if you keep using it your land will
become flatter eventually!

The front of the blade swing (tip of cutting edge) to concrete should be 1/2 to 3/4" lower than the rear of that swing. This reduces recut, and makes reasonable flat mowing. That
change alone will help a lot. Next. You could use less offset in the blades. (different blades) next you could add adjustable skids to the front sides to limit into the ground
slicing. jim

Well-I agree with Bob-raise it up some. I run my skids just off the ground; I usually set it up on the driveway, and I keep the rear about an inch higher than the front. (Sometimes when I want something real short I will let the skids run on the ground.) I set the three point lever against the adjustable stop, and when I am mowing I watch the terrain and raise the three point and avoid 'mowing 'the humps, lowing it back down after the 'obstacle'. Takes practice until you learn your terrain. My farm is very rough in the pasture areas, and like another poster said I have mowed a few places level! Mark.

A simple solution has been found.

I will get some blades with less of an offset. That will fix the problem with the least effort. I honestly never thought about the blades coming with various offsets.

Thanks

From the picture it doesn't appear to have any skid shoes built onto it. Looks more like something that was built to mow a flat golf course.

Just make sure they will clear the center bolt, or however the stump jumper i attached, were they to swing all the way around. May
not be a problem, kinda hard to tell.

There does not appere to be any skid shoes on it. Would the side pannels have any holes where skid shoes would have bolted on that would have been left off at dealer setup? As is those sides are going to get bent up bad fast,

It looks to me like the shaft sticks out of the stump jumper quite a bit, the blades have to be offset enough to clear that and the other
blade.

(quoted from post at 07:34:02 10/02/19) Does anyone have a solution to this problem. My new rotary cutter s blades dig in to the ground. The problem is that the cutters blade tips are even with the bottom of the side bands.

Before mowing I always set the cutter up so that it rides with the front skid shoes 3 inches off the ground and the rear 5 1/2 inches off the ground. I do this inside the barn on the concrete floor with 2x4 and a 2x6 lumber. Of course I do not own any land that is flat so ocassionally the cutter will ride on the skid shoes. A lot of times when the skid shoes hit the ground the blades will dig into the ground if the terrian is not level.
Any suggestions are apprecieated.
Sell it and pay a little more for a name brand!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back