rust in fuel tank advice needed

Brokengun

Member
Rust in fuel tank

My 930 diesel fuel tank is rusty on the inside and I have spent the last week doing an electrolysis removal with limited success. I was using a small battery charger for the energy source and it just doesn’t generate enough current.

I need to get the tank back on the tractor so I’m thinking along the lines of 2 solutions.

1) using evap-o-rust
2) using phosphoric acid

I’m leaning toward the phosphoric acid since it converts the rust to an inert form.

My concern is the phosphoric acid leaves a powdery residue, plus I can find no mention of it being used for inside a fuel tank since it is actually used as a metal prep before painting.

Any suggestions?

What do you guys uses for rusty fuel tanks?
 
I've used the evapo rust and was not impressed by it. POR 15 makes a tanks sealer that comes with a cleaner and metal prep. Fairly easy to use. Some guys will put a bunch of nuts and bolts in the tank and shake it to clean the scale off, then treat it with the phosphoric acid. Your local radiator shop many be able to clean and seal it for you.
 
I would call around to radiator shops and see who does tank sealing. You can do it for about 100 less with a home kit, but be aware that if you mess up the prep work - it will fail.


One other solution to rust is to put a tow chain inside the tank then strap it to a tractor wheel and (while wearing ear plugs!!!) drive around for a half hour to hour. The chain will clean up the inside of the tank and it's easy to get out.

Then use a leaf blower to blow out the rust dust. (I would use it every 5 min while driving around). Follow that up with a phosphoric acid treatment and it should be good for a while.
 
My quickest and least expensive option would have been to buy a new tank. I tried electrolysis, rust converters, chain in tank, radiator shop boiling etc. After two carb rebuilds numerous gas filters I have the rust at bay. It has only cost me $500.00 plus dollars and many lost hours of not using my tractor. A new tank for $250.00 or so would have been a bargin.
 
use muratic acid keep an eye o it slosh it around set the tank in different positions it will eat the rust wash and dry well and use tank liner.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top