S designator

I stopped to look at a 656D yesterday. Serial no. appears to be a 1966 model. My question is what does the S mean after the ser. no. Tractor appears to be in good shape. Missing grab irons and got thome made steps on it. It either has a new head and water pump or the paint has been baked of of them. It is a gear drive. Did not hear it run so cant say about TA and all. Shifter seams to work good no slop. Curious to know what to look for. as far as possible future nightmares and what is it worth. I believe and IH 2000 loader would fit. Had one on an MTA back when I was a kid. Was a good loader but tractor was light for handle ing round bales. The purpose intended for the 656. MTA was not wieshted though. this 656 has a double stack of wheel wiegts on each side. Any thoughts on the 656 as a general loader tractor? How about as a tillage tractor. Our lease place is a combo of clay loam to sandy loam. 4-16 semi mount? 10-12ft tandem? Any thoughts welcome. Tractor has 7000 and change showing on the tach.
Thanks in advance.
Herb

I just have Torque Amplifier lised for the letter R. Someone that post's on here has a manual with all those letters and what they stand for. Hal

S is TA with provision for 540 rpm independent PTO, R is TA with provision for 540 rpm transmission driven PTO, P is independent PTO without TA, HH is no provision for PTO, Don't see the letter but I think the earlier models (probably not 656) could be had with no TA and transmission driven PTO.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back