Salvage tractor prices

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
We all hear about tractors going to the "junk man for scrap". My question is, I know this will vary greatly, how much does the junk man buy a tractor for. I have found a complete IH 460 Utility tractor in a "fence row". Of course the tires are no good probably hasn't run for 15-20 years. When checking the oil, it is way over full, so I don't know what might be in the oil pan. The hour meter shows 1835 hours. I have no reason to believe these would not be correct. Original generator and starter on it. Belts and hoses of course would need to be replaced along with the seat. The entire tractor would probably need a lot of work, (carb, new seals throughout, maybe an engine overhaul) but I have been looking for a tractor like this for a long time. It has hydraulics and a 3-point hitch and a PTO. All things that I need on a small tractor. What would the "scrap man" give for something like this? I would guess the tractor is 99% complete, just hasn't ran for a long time. I do NOT want to scrap it, but bring it back to life!! Just wondering what it might be worth, so I can make an offer. Don't know if the engine is locked up, didn't check it that close when I spotted it!
 
I have no idea what salvage prices are, but I know where there is a 460 utility in the back corner of a mans machine shed. With a battery, it would probably start and run. e-mail me and I'll tell you where, and what he is asking. Dale
 
Scrap is running between $100 and $200 a ton
so on a 5,000lb tractor thats $300 to $600.Probably closer to the $300 as the rear tires have to come off and old tractors are hard to crush.
 
Another consideration is how far will the scrap man have to haul it. With fuel prices, if it's not near a scrap facility, it may not be worth hauling away even if the scrapman gets it for free.
 
In my area unprepared scrap is $80-100 per ton and cut up scrap is $150-200 per ton.

About $400 would be a fair price for the 460..At sales the junkers usually pay 50% of the current scrap price.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top