Saved an odd one from the scrapper

A friend / customer of mine mentioned about a guy doing some cleaning up on his place and had an old tractor he planned to haul to scrap metal. He said I could have it for scrap price. I got him to send me some pics and it is a1944 Silver King Model 42. I jumped on it. He was coming after some parts anyway and brought it to me. It is missing one rear rim, both front rims and hubs, radiator and grille. It has been setting inside a barn for ?? years and IMO, good condition. It is the V nose variety with WFE. I have some 28" rims on a VAC that look just like the one rear on it. Tranny, rear, and steering are loose. I believe engine is a Hercules and looks like one I have in a junk forklift. I am beyond tickled.

Where are you located? Neighbor of mine did have some Silver King wheels and rear centers here in Indiana. Will see if he still has them if you like..

Your description makes me think that your Silver King Is from the 1930's. The Hercules engine was used from 1934, up until about 1940-41. Serial number tags were on the lower left side of the transmission case. I have successfully used a 28" Case rim on my Silver King.

Congratulations! Silver Kings are certainly one of the lesser known makes. There is a longtime tractor jockey in the next town who has a collection of them.

There is a guy just around the corner from RRLund that collects
Silver Kings. I've been meaning to get over there and see his
collection as I've only seen the few he brings to the shows.
If I can fit it in, I'll see if he has any parts for sale.
We're in mid-Michigan. Great deal!

You are lucky lucky! I have a late model 41, and a very early model R38. Being that is is a wide front model, you can probably expect to be in for a long hard search for the front hubs. Maybe not, but with only around 8,000 TOTAL Silver King tractors made from mid 1930's to early to mid 1950's, the Model 42 is the most prolific, however, the wide front is not. That is a very hard to find tractor with a wide front if it is the factory one. I have seen a SK that had some other brand wide front cobbled onto it. Almost all of the Model 41 and 42's had the single front wheel. Can't remember where exactly, but somewhere around where the seat brackets bolt on, there should be a number stamped into the housing. I can't remember for sure but I think it will be a Roman numeral, and it should be a 5,6, or 7. That number is the number of teeth on the pinion gear, and will tell you what to expect concerning road speed. My 41 when I get it back together should run about 40-45 mph, it has the highest geared rear end, and 36" rubber. Have fun with it, they are a stout tractor. Post some pictures when you get it.

Ross

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back