MF135 bad rear wheels, can it be salvaged from the weeds?

5000gasser

New User
Got a rough one here. I need another project like a hole in the head but... This thing is kinda the right size for what I need (HA, need..)

A 1972 MF135 with a MF35 loader installed, showing 2000 hours with the gas engine.

Owner claimed he had it running in 2018 but the starter failed and he gave up and here it sits. Claimed hydraulics all worked when it was running.

Right off the bat my main question is what is up with the rear wheels? Other MF135's I see have power assist wheels and this has some sort of very small rim and not power assist. As you can see the left side wheel is gone gone along with god knows what is behind what you see here. The right side is better, but not far off.

I was hoping to find a parts breakdown showing the rear axle but have not found a website with one yet???

He is at 600 i'm at 300 and not even there if I dont have a good idea what im dealing with for the rims beforehand. That is why i'm here. Does this thing need an entire new rear end or is it parts I can replace to get new studs etc on it then install some new wheels.

Rest of the tractor is not horrible, gas tank ok, all levers and pedals not stuck etc Of course its a gamble but I like projects, ish....

Feel free to tell me i'm crazy and I should run not walk away, or..?

20240228_152451.jpg
20240228_152142.jpg
20240228_152150.jpg
20240228_154251.jpg
20240228_153811.jpg
20240228_153749.jpg

Last edited:
It is a low profile orchard tractor with 16.1 tire. Either find different rims in that size or a small wheel like 12.4, 13.6 or 14.9x 24". Solid disc rims that only have 2 adjustments for width, reverse for wide or narrow. Loop style wheels and a center to fit or power adjust and centers to fit. Yours only have 2 adjustments, narrow and very wide. The front spindles are short on that tractor so need to keep rears as small diameter as possible. May be cheaper to find a parts tractor and put the 2 parts tractors together, expecially if you want a standard wheel combination....James

Got a rough one here. I need another project like a hole in the head but... This thing is kinda the right size for what I need (HA, need..)

A 1972 MF135 with a MF35 loader installed, showing 2000 hours with the gas engine.

Owner claimed he had it running in 2018 but the starter failed and he gave up and here it sits. Claimed hydraulics all worked when it was running.

Right off the bat my main question is what is up with the rear wheels? Other MF135's I see have power assist wheels and this has some sort of very small rim and not power assist. As you can see the left side wheel is gone gone along with god knows what is behind what you see here. The right side is better, but not far off.

I was hoping to find a parts breakdown showing the rear axle but have not found a website with one yet???

He is at 600 i'm at 300 and not even there if I dont have a good idea what im dealing with for the rims beforehand. That is why i'm here. Does this thing need an entire new rear end or is it parts I can replace to get new studs etc on it then install some new wheels.

Rest of the tractor is not horrible, gas tank ok, all levers and pedals not stuck etc Of course its a gamble but I like projects, ish....

Feel free to tell me i'm crazy and I should run not walk away, or..?
Below is a link to the online parts book for the MF135 on the AGCO parts website, that is free to use. Note that you need to read carefully as it covers many variations of the 135, not just the low profile one.

The loader will have its own parts book. The tag, visible on the left side of the loader frame, will give you the model of the loader so you can search for its parts book on the AGCO site.

If you want a project, that would be one.

MF 135 Parts Book

I suspect a whole bunch of us started a project a whole lot worse than that one. Jim has good advice, follow it. Go look at the manual to make sure you can turn it into what you want it to be. Is the engine free to spin over? That will be a prime decision point. It looks to be a gas engine, so you won't hurt an injector pump by spinning it over. Broken boot on the shifter, and sitting out in the rain and snow? Drain all the water out of the tranny as soon as you can. If it's really an orchard, then the exhaust is out the bottom, not collecting every drop of water that falls from the sky. steve

That is probably a “3 hole in the head” project. He may have had it running in 2018 but IMOP that tractor has sat in that spot longer than 6 years. You are going to have quite an effort dealing with that left rear hub with all that accelerated rust from the calcium carbide fluid that was in the tires for weight. If the engine is not free walk away unless he wants to pay you to remove it from the location.

Thanks all,

Looking at the orchard models I do agree it is that, it does have the downward exhaust also, but its cut/rusted off after the manifold, manifold still fine. The orchard also has the MF165 rear axle and thanks to Jim and his parts diagram link I can see everything! I'm sure it was used exclusively in a chicken house which attributes to the corrosion (bottom of bucket is corroded as well) I don't need it and keep telling myself that but I don't know why I like this thing... If it happens I will post back here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back