SC - Early vs Late differences

db1212

New User
I've got 2 SC's. One is, off the top of my head, a 41, and I have no idea what the other one is because the plate is missing. I bought it right for a parts tractor and drove it home.

I'm thinking that the mystery machine may be quite a bit newer, as it has a hydraulic lift (same setup as the mechanical lift but ran with a cylinder), no filter canister behind the mag (and no holes indicating that there ever was one), etc. I know that there were 2 different engines used, is there a way to tell which is which without physically removing the head? Any other way to tell a year other than from the serial number tag?
 
the serial number should also be stamped where the engine mounts to the tranny on the left side (sitting on the tractor). There were alot of changes made over the years. I have a '45, and a '50. They have different seats, tool box location, hand starter cranks, lift mechanisms...
 
the number of different blocks has been dissscused before. early sc had no cast brace at front of block and no ribs on side there was also a few ribed blocks with no cast brace the latest had ribs on the side and a cast brace
 
The BIG difference is in 1951 where you have live power and live hydraulics, Eagle Hitch etc. Here you have both brake pedals on the right side and the hand clutch lever moved to the left. In 1954 you have the larger cylinder bore, bigger carb, much better seat suspension, optional foot clutch etc.
 
The rear wheels changed at some point. My '41 has a solid disk center, the later ones had holes sort of like truck wheels. The exhaust went through the hood on some years, on the left side of the hood for others. I am definitely not an authority on the subject.
 
My 1951 has dual circuit hydraulics, not LIVE, and the casting is there on the left hand side for the base of a cylinder that would operate a rear lift, not the Eagle hitch.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top