Don-Wi

Dad stopped by a guys place last year when our blower was down with a bad bearing because he had an old gehl hi-throw in the weeds. He ended up buying that (no PTO shaft for it so we still haven't used it) and while talking, the guy mentioned he had 2 cylinders in the shed he'd sell for $25/ a peice. It was a good price, but at the time we really didn't need them and he didn't have the cash.

He stopped by today on the way home from the feed mill and asked about those cylinders again. He got them for $25 for the pair w/ hoses!! They're International 3000 cylinders that look like brand new. 3x8 bore & stroke, great shape, just need to put an elbow on the cylinders to the hoses, as right now they stick straight out. Look like they're an o-ring type, instead of NPT.

Good buy today. Espescially since I had to take one of our other cylinders and mount it to our new chopper. The hoses on that one were leaking and needed longer ones anyway so it's now dedicated to stay on the chopper.

2 IH cylinders for $25 aint too bad. Kinda the cherry on top of a good day. I got the knife sharpener freed up on the 892 today and sharpened the knives, adjusted the shear bar, etc....

Next major thing on the list is gonna be replacing most of the sprockets that are badly worn on it.

See another 892 on craigslist for $600 that's a few counties away. Really thinking hard about it, as it could either be a parts machine or we could have one for hay and one for corn... either way it's not a bad price. Don't know if it's got any heads though.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Glad to hear Someone had a good day! That is a heckuva price on the cylinders! Well, everyone deserves a break now and then.

Wow! That's a steal on the cylinders! I haven't had that kind of luck in a while. My last score was a gamble on ebaY with a first-timer. I bid $55 on a 1907 McCormick harvesting machines catalog. Won it for $27. It came 5 days later as described. Couldn't believe there wasn't a catch.

I agree on the Craiglist 892, it's always a good idea to have a backup or parts unit. Sound like the 892 you found at American should work out for you.

Glad to hear it!

Mike

I still gotta get it in the field and run it with the controls on the tractor, as when I tried it before I got the control wired in it would slip, but the gear box wasn't fully engaged. I ran it today in the driveway and then moved the controls, and it seems to be engaged quite a bit more than it was before, so I'm hoping it was a simple issue that it just needed to be running to get the gearbox in the right position.

Still gonna get the old Fox ready just in case. Thinking if we open the fields ourself, I'll do it with the Fox so if the 892 has any issues, I don't have to figure out how to get out of the 1st round in the field and not run everything down.

Donovan from Wisconsin

You got a very good deal and the SAE fittings are much better for sealing than NPT and can be rotated to any position you choose without affecting the seal.

I think I would try to go for the chopper. Always easier to hook to a different piece than change over. And sometime you might just have hay you want to chop at the same time as you want to chop corn, even if it is just one load of hay to feed direct while silo filling. No silo filling but had a Cockshutt and later a New Holland chopper that we used the pickup head mostly for chopping bean straw back on the field as combine did not have a chopper but would chop a few loads of that bean straw for bedding and leave setting on wagons till use. But a couple of times changed heads to chop corn for daily feeding of the cows. Those choppers were a 2 day job to change heads.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back