scrapyard security guard

Dad and I used to have a friend that was a supervisor at a local scrap yard. They weren"t open on the weekends so we"d go over just about every Sat and help him work on what ever machine needed attention at the time. This also gave us a chance to scrounge around. Even after seeing it over the course of about 6 years it"s still hard for me to believe how much good, usable stuff get"s thrown out.
 
Our county has "compaction" centers where people take trash, the county compacts it and hauls it to a land fill. They have people there to help with sorting the recycleable stuff, help unload heavy stuff, and just make sure every thing gets put in the right bin. All of the guys are older, retired, part time help. Most all of them have trucks with campers on them. They all have some great big yard sales a few times a year. If you try to toss something in that looks like it is valuable some of them will almost tackle you!!


Dave
 
KyPlowBoy,
Since we are in neighboring redneck country, I just have to tell you this story. We also have the compactor and county pickup system, but several years ago we had the regular dumpsters where EVERYTHING went in, with no discrimination. Well, there were a couple of "way back in the country" families that routinely went dumpster diving to salvage aluminum cans and other treasures. As I patiently waited one day for them to extricate themselves from the dumpster so that I could dump my garbage, one of them came climbing out with great haste, heaving his breakfast gagging. His buddy asked him what was wrong and he replied, "can you believe some low-life scum threw a dead dog in my dumpster?!!"

I didn't ask, but I sure wondered how anybody that could crawl thru rotting garbage on a daily basis, and look and smell as bad as he did, could possibly let one ole dead dog bother him that much! I guess it is like that John Wayne line in one of his movies - "A man has got to know his limitations." That ole boy sure found his.

(Don't get me wrong - I am not above salvaging an occasional piece of stainless steel panel for my electrolysis tub, or other useful metal, but I for sure do know my limitations!
 
Thats a good'n!!

County north of me had the dumpsters around the county till a few years ago. I knew a guy who drove drove a truck dump'n them. He always had to set and wait for the divers to get out of the way.

Dave
 
I guess it is like that John Wayne line in one of his movies - "A man has got to know his limitations."

It was Clint Eastwood who said that, in "Magnum Force". "Dirty Harry" Callahan, not the Duke.
 
The way to put a stop to people scrounging through your trash is to take a few minutes and make it unusable.

On furniture, I usually pour used oil or paint on the fabric.
On tools, machines, etc, a few licks with a sledge hammer does the trick.
On newspapers at the restaurant, that I buy, when I finish reading, tear up the sports section. This serves two purposes: #1 being, it stops the spread of stupidity by preventing some sports 'fan' from getting his daily dose of stupidity for free, and it helps the economy by making someone purchase a newspaper for himself.
Why should I spend my money, only to give the merchandise away for free so some bum who raids my garbage?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top