screw woodsplitter?

ericl

New User
it seems there was a topic here some time ago on a screw type wood splitter this was just a large metal screw that slipped on the pto shaft and you used it by pushing the round side of the firewood to it , i cant find the article and ive found one over in england that looks nice but cost 1400 lbs there, no telling what in dollars plus shipping and 1 that goes on a pickup rear end that costs as much as a 3 point splitter, all i want is a simple cheap screw type for occasional use, anybody got one? [ yeah i know there dangerous, but at my age getting out of bed is dangerous]
 
Don't get a screw type wood splitter.

A lot more dangerous than getting out of bed unless you were in bed with another man's wife!

Zane
 
I have one and it has been used for many a year... split dozens of cords... we never got our flesh tangled up in it... Simply understand what you're doing and keep someone near the clutch OR have a kill switch handy.

Much faster than a hydraulic but it does have its size limits.

duey
 
No! No!

I had one of these killer machines. When you get in trouble by the screw getting hold of an internal branch inside of the log, the log suddenly goes at some angle and may now pass between the rotating screw and the stationary cross bar log support. The entire log is flailing around and you might be able to get your hands clear of it in time, and you might get your legs clear of it before getting seriously wacked. I was much younger and quicker, but got wacked a few times.

I sold it to a lawyer who needed it for a case he was working on. Even though I have little love for lawyers, I warned him that it was the most dangerous thing ever invented to split wood.
That is exactly why he wanted it.

P.S. there is no way you can shut off the tractor engine quick enough, although a kill switch is recommended. Have you ever serviced the clutch and flywheel on the 8N? There is one heck of a lot of rotational inertia even though the engine may have been turned off. If the log can get past the cross bar, it will turn a number of times before it stops.

My firewood was mostly Elm and Oak.

Paul in MN
 
I have one that just mounts to the power take off.If you watch what you are doing,it works fine with easy to split wood,but once you get in to the twisted and harder to split wood,it becomes very dangerous. I gave in and bought a regular hydraulic log splitter and I am glad I did.
 
I"ve got one, had it for over 25 years and have split many cords of woods with it. However, it is dangerous if you are not very careful.
 
Video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JucQ4h9kw">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JucQ4h9kw</a>
 
One version of the screw type log splitter was marketed to attach to the wheel of a jacked up car or truck. You ran the truck at idle and fed the log into the screw. If the log was too long and swung into the ground (like the hand of a clock) it would knock the truck off its jack. Obviously, not very safe.

I thought of getting the screw type briefly a few years ago....then I came to my senses.

Just my $0.02.

Paul.
 
(quoted from post at 21:40:41 03/08/08) One version of the screw type log splitter was marketed to attach to the wheel of a jacked up car or truck. You ran the truck at idle and fed the log into the screw. If the log was too long and swung into the ground (like the hand of a clock) it would knock the truck off its jack. Obviously, not very safe.

I thought of getting the screw type briefly a few years ago....then I came to my senses.

Just my $0.02.

Paul.

You know, I remember a TV commercial about that.
 
My GREAT granpa used to own &amp; operate a saw mill outside of Waco, Tx. My granpa cut his teeth in his early teens driving a 18 wheeler back &amp; forth to East Texas hauling logs back. On the weekends great granpa would take a trailer load of rough cut down off the square downtown. He'd jack up the rear end of the truck, run a blade via pulley that he'd rigged up... and they'd cut lumber to order on downtown on the weekends.
Granpa still has one of the blades from the mill. That thing is about 4 feet in diameter. I really would like to have that blade shipped up here sometime and clean it up. Maybe I could find a halfway decent artist to paint a picture of the family's old Mill on it. That would be nifty.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top