Sears just lost another one (Long Rant)

Greetings tractor and tool guys.
I have placed my last transaction with Sears, PERIOD, and here is why. Several years ago my wife gave me a Sears gift card and we still had a remaining balance on it.

On Saturday I tried shopping their online tool site for some wrenches with their usual Christmas discounts.
I selected a set of Dog Bone wrenches, a set of speed head box end wrenches and a seven piece set of ratcheting box end wrenches. They were nicely discounted (I thought) and the amount qualified for free shipping. They rang up just fine. I then found that the gift card would no longer be honored. I wish I had quit right there instead of paying with my VISA. I thought I really wanted those wrenches!

Within minutes I received an email from "Imran Jooma" stating that the dog bone and speed end wrenche sets had been "canceled" but the ratcheting end wrenches would be shipped, even though my order no longer qualified for free shipping. Okay then, says I in the next few minutes and for several hours thereafter, to Imran, and then "Geena (pgiri0)," and some other yayhoo named "Hobbs G. (mashraf)" CANCEL THE REMAINING 1/3 of my order. I DON"T WANT THE SINGLE ITEM that YOU didn"t CANCEL!"

It became quite obvious that Imran, pgiri, and mashraf have only a passing acquaintance with American English as their second or third language. It was also painfully obvious that they wouldn"t/couldn"t cancel the last item. In itself, Sears trying to improve their profit returns by moving their help center overseas would be enough for me to quit patronizing them.

The "Sears" wrenches arrived today. I will give them credit for having timely shipping.

The "Craftsman" ratcheting end wrenches I received are dadgummed communist chinese made GEARWRENCH brand. A quick search on Amazon for comparable chinese garbage wrenches produced several other sets, one of them a ten piece set, that are less money and shipped free.

I will be returning these faux wrenches the next time I am close to one of the Sears outlets that are twenty to thirty miles from home. As I said, I am done with these globalist shysters, or will be as soon as I return their chinese garbage wrenches and get my credit returned. If I want third rate imported junk, I"ll go to Harbor Freight, talk to an American and pay an appropriately cheaper price.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and avoid Sears. Best Wishes Don

I have been using ratcheting gearwrench wrenches for 5 years.I have yet to have a problem with any of them. They (like craftsman) have a lifetime warranty. Couldnt tell you where they were made and dont care they work great.

Yeah,its nothing like dealing with a north Amercan company eh :roll:
I don't deal with Sears nomore either.
Not that other outfits are any better though,wife bought a clock from a reknowed Canadian clock maker the other day,said on the box, "Quality clock...[b:7ad850b1b1]made in Canada by such and so [/b:7ad850b1b1]"
Said on the clock on the casing and again on the clockwork,...MADE IN CHINA.. :shock:

You go figger :roll:

I stopped going to Sears about 8 years ago, changing the struts and front rotors on our Honda Accord, got it partially apart & found out I needed addtional metric allen sockets. Go to Sears, I'm in a hurry because I need to get the friggin car back together, had to stand in line for 5 minutes while the clerk beat the poor idiot in front of me into a a service contract on his shop-vac. I can get ------ of enough by myself without their help thank you.

I very seldom buy on line, but I live near a mall with a Sears in it. I have noticed that you have to pay close attention when purchasing Craftsman tools, some are USA and others are made in China. I'm sure some Chinese tools are ok, but purchasing them is not supporting America. Ellis

No problem when buying clothes. I wait until they give a 20%, then I use my credit card and get another 10%. Then pay the bill total at end of month to save interest.

I'm sure you got 'em quakin' in their boots. You got a gift card "several years ago" and expect it to still be honored? The fact that you are spending a "several year" old gift card tells them that you are not a regular customer.

schim,
I agree, those "GearWrenches" relly work well.....
I think my original set may have been made in Taiwan (not sure) but the last set (metric) was madse in China. I"ll probably never use the metrics as much as I"ve used the SAE set so I may never know whether or not the Chinese made ones are inferior. Based on my experiences with other Chinese stuff, tho, I"m thinkin" they will be inferior!

Hey Big Ferd, you're pretty comical. I doubt anything would "get 'em quakin' in their boots." Most all of those folks I have seen in, or near, thier natural habitat were wearing sandals or flip flops.
Too bad your comprehension ceased at the part about the expired gift card.
I suppose with the general apathy of many North Americans who are only concerned with price instead of origin, those who see nothing wrong with monetarily supporting our dictator owned, communist chinese enemies, those to whom rudeness and slovenly customer service are accepted/expected it is all a non-issue. Probably the good thing is that when Sears does go the way of Monkey Wards, there will not be all that many Americans losing jobs over it.

Thats funny cause Ive owned a set of gear wrenches for years now and they have worked flawlessly every time!

(quoted from post at 14:37:40 12/20/11) I'm sure you got 'em quakin' in their boots. [b:50d783bf5f]You got a gift card "several years ago" and expect it to still be honored?[/b:50d783bf5f] The fact that you are spending a "several year" old gift card tells them that you are not a regular customer.

And why would they not honor it.The card was paid with good money afterall,i would expect it to stand.

Well Don, it is too bad that you were unhappy with your order from Sears. For many who live in smaller towns Sears is the only place to buy USA made tools.

Not to be snarky but from the items that you ordered I assume that you don't make a living with your tools.

If you require premium tools visit the Snap-on, Mac or other dealers. I for one don't mind Sears carrying Chinese-origin tools as long as they carry the USA made also.

Sears also has programs which support US servicemen and women.

Just my 2 cents and Merry Christmas to you!

Brad

Allstate insurance used to be part of Sears. Their customeer service and the customeer service for the tools must be in the same building. Good luck with your return.

Chinese? I think you'll find most of the offshore customer support call centers are in India, and the Indians who man those call centers take pride in their work. They know that there are many others willing and able to take their job if they don't perform. Something a lot of American union workers don't seem to understand.

Brad, One of your assumptions is correct. I no longer make a living with any of my tools. I do however hobby/emergency wrench on two M Farmalls, an M38A1 Willys, a CJ2A Willys, an M151A2 Ford Mutt and a CJ7 American Motors Jeep.
Before I retired, I made my living with AMERICAN tools manufactured by Crescent, Ridgid, S&K, Channel Lock and yes, in those days, even a few "made for Sears," Craftsman brand, et. al. During my 35 Active Air Force (USAF) and Air National Guard (ANG) military years, I relied on National Stock Listed (NSN) equipment and MOSTLY US made tools, including YOUR much revered "premium" SNAPON tools under the auspices of the AF's Warranty Tool Program. The, at least to you, "silly" tools I ordered would have been darned handy in the necessarily small tool kit we rotate between our off road jeeps.
As far as small towns? The village of Melba with our nearest school district and servicing US Post Office (Four and One Half Miles away) is unincorporated with a population of perhaps
230 souls. The nearest Sears outlet is close to twenty five miles away from our lane.
One of my points was that if I want to buy oriental tools, I will order them from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool or the traveling gypsies that set up every spring in our American Legion hall with the attendant justifiably reduced prices from the get go.

Big Ferd, again we have failed to communicate. The TOOLS I was referring to were made by the COMMUNIST CHINESE. The Abbot and Costello routine run around was provided by your highly esteemed dot INDIANS. Or pakis, indonesians, WHATEVER! I am quite certain that they are "offshore," NOT Americans, and have at the very best, an old school fourth grade comprehension level of our language.
YOU can stay happily defensive of them and Sears, I however WILL NOT!

cant get too excited about it... Not many others that sell made in america. Seems like folks dont want to pay twice as much.

Why do you expect sears to be any different than kmart, wards, best buy, home depot, lowes, and everyone else???? Now thats the million dollar question.

(quoted from post at 17:28:48 12/20/11) Chinese? I think you'll find most of the offshore customer support call centers are in India, and the Indians who man those call centers take pride in their work. They know that there are many others willing and able to take their job if they don't perform. Something a lot of American union workers don't seem to understand.

OK now big fred, You downing me now. I am a 48 year union member and will carry my card as long as I live. Although I am strong I would much rather a non union worker have a job here than that job be sent overseas.

Wait a minute....It's all coming back to me. Air Force...Rant..You were that dude that rode the H-bomb down outta the bomb-bay!!!

Yahoooo!!!!

NO ratcheting gear wrench type wrenches are made in the US. The mechanisms are made in Taiwan. The best of these is Blackhawk, somewhat thinner than the others in the box end area.

As far as regular wrenches, Craftsman raised panel wrenches (the regular old Craftsman wrenches I talking about) are now being made in China also. Ratchets and sockets too. The stores have mixed stock right now and it you want US made, hike to the store and look at each one to see what you are getting.

Danaher has made the Craftsman stuff for quite a few years now. A couple of years ago, Danaher and Cooper merged their tool companies into one jointly owned company, under the Apex name. Some but not all of the brands are...............

Apex Tool Group markets some of the leading brands in the tool industry worldwide, including Allen®, Apex®, Armstrong Tools®, Campbell®, Cleco®, Crescent®, Erem®, GearWrench®, H.K. Porter®, Jacobs® Chuck, Jobox®, K-D Tools®, Lufkin®, Nicholson®, Plumb®, Sata®, Weller® and Wiss®, among others and manufactures several industry leading private label brands for large retailers and industrial distributors.

http://www.apextoolgroup.com/brands/index.cfm

That being said, Sears has no real control over where Apex manufactures their tools, so long as the contract is fulfilled.

Not defending what they do, I don't like it either, but that is what is happening, like it or not. If you want USA made tools, buy from the "new" SK tools, Ideal built a new factory outside of Chicago and is keeping the production here in the US. Wright is also a US brand, family owned, and largely US made, they do buy some oddball product lines from overseas but everyone does that.

I would hope that everyone realizes that gift cards and refund cards are not good for ever, usually a year or two and that is it. As someone noted, you apparently don't buy from Sears very often or you would have used the card by now. I buy tools occasionally online and never had a problem. I called customer service after the price on a item I bought, was reduced a week later, I got a very nice lady in the US who promptly made the adjustment and credited it back to my card.

The backlash to the Indian call centers has been so great that most companies have given up on them. A few still use them and there are some in the Philippines also, as they speak good English there.

Charles

I haven't been to Sears or shopped there in years. They're in the mall, and I don't go to the mall. And I don't really care where you shop or don't shop, and am always amused by others who try to tell me where to shop or not shop.

I was under the impression that there was a new
law that GIFT CARDS COULD NOT EXPIRE?
Of course I don't know if older ones were
"Grandfatherd" in.
It was part of the revised credit card rules that
went into effect about a year ago!

I truly enjoy you guys, all your thoughts and opinions, even if I'm not asking silly technical questions that are outside of my experience and training. You YT folks always share interesting and knowledgeable views. I'll have a real clerk (or is that an instore service provider?) check that card when we eventually return those wrenches.
Y'all would be great to gather around the table, drink coffee and engage in lively conversation with.
Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each and everyone of you Don

I've been into the store and looked at both and the Gearwrench brand are a dammed sight better than the Craftsman branded ratcheting wrenches. The Craftsman ones are junk, I can't believe theres anybody that wouldn't be embarrassed to put those on the shelf.

I recall years ago that looking at the quality of the Chinese tools and commenting that as soon as they find chrome vanadium steel and get their heat treat right...they'll be a threat to our tool industry. Looks like it's coming true.
By the way, someone gave me a Christmas gift card from a steak house restaurant about 45 miles away. It got put up in my wallet and the next Christmas time I got to looking at it. It had a life expectancy to it...ever year it decreased in value by so many percent. I gave it to the first person that said they would use it. ohfred

At least are able to avoid encountering Sears refusal to honor its "lifetime" gaurantee on its Craftsman line of tools. I no longer deal with them either, their dishonesty stung me twice. There won"t be a third time.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with ordering, that does sound like a bunch of bull getting jerked around like that. I would have just canceled the whole order. FWIW, I just bought a couple tool sets a few weeks ago, must have been the same sale as when you bought. They had the tools on sale, then an additional 20% off and because it was during the Christmas season they had a free shipping sale so I got them shipped to the house for nothing. Shipping was scary fast. They were ordered after midnight on a Monday and they said delivery was expected Saturday or Monday. Turns out they showed up on the first Wednesday after I ordered them. Its unreal how they can take the order and deliver it in about 35 hours.

Since the tool kits are just to use the sockets to fill in my other sets in the shop and at the farm, I will end up selling the rest of the kit on craigslist or the neighborhood garage sale, that means after I sell everything off I will get not only free fill in tools, I should have $300 in my pocket when its all said and done. Craftsman tools on craigslist still sell smoking fast here so all I can say to Sears is, thank you for the merry christmas cash [b:6bf8e4006c][i:6bf8e4006c]and[/b:6bf8e4006c][/i:6bf8e4006c] free tools.

Rich, Glad that it all worked out for you. After they cancelled two of the three items I did try to cancel the remaining one. That whole cancellation attempt just resulted in part of the more than several less than fuzzy parts of my whole, next to last, Sears experience. The hecho in china part was the straw that crippled my camel. I would have even been a bit happier with the end result, which did get here in less than one business day, had been hecho in Taiwan by our allies.
Merry Christmas and hope you enjoy your windfall. Don (In the smog and sagebrush of SW Idaho)

Gearwrench is owned by Matco Tools. I have a set of metric Gearwrenches and use them every day as a professional. They have held up very well. When I've broken them, the Matco dealer hands me another one at no cost.

Sears doesn't sell anything that I can't buy someplace else :!:
I believe the only reason they are still in business is that they have a charge account---at least several years ago they did :?:
One thing that has always puzzled me is the fact that KMART was filing for bankrupsy and then decided to buy SEARS :?: :?: :?:
Am I correct :?:
I don't deal with either one :!: :!:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back