Second Cyclo 800 question...seed charts.

Dave H (MI)

This part makes my head hurt. I am using a IH Cyclo 800 planter. The seed I am using is 80,000 count bags and the salesman tells me that in my area/soils on 30" rows that one bag will cover 2.5 acres. My math says that comes out to a density of 32,000 per acre. Looking at the seed chart for my planter and the 36 hole drum the closest count listed is 32,224. Looking to the left it tells me what sprockets to install in the seed drive to get this density. Looking to the right it tells me that I can drive a maximum of 7.74 miles per hour.

My questions are:

1) Am I doing/reading this right?

2) It says "maximum" speed is 7.74 mph. Can I dial that down? The field is irregular in spots and that is just too fast for a lot of reasons. I would be a lot more comfortable first time out at 4-5 mph until I get the feel of things.

Going to post this on a couple forums. It's a modest test plot but we do intend to harvest it and the inputs are pricey so prefer not to screw it up. Any help appreciated.

Read my answer in the other spots you posted.

Most of us on here check all the forums we are interested in so one forum is enough to post on.

Cause now I have to post on everyone to know that you will see it.

Gary

If the seed is quite small, maybe dial it back to 30,500. Check that your brush is set close if small seed so it doesn't double up. You can plant much slower without any problems.

Most of "us on here" who ask questions check back to all our posts so you don't have to bother doing this either. I had some question in my mind which forum was best suited to the question so made the decision to put it on both. I have a better reply for you...but you need to read the other forum to get it.

No big deal, but I confuse easy, seems to go better when there is a question on just one spot, not the same question on 2 or more spots at the same time.

I tend to shy away from those threads when I notice multiples, as I can't keep them straight.

Not complaining, just saying I'm too simple, need it simple for me. ;)

Paul

No worries, I had fun with it. The way it was phrased made it sound like I showed up for the first time yesterday. Hence the quotes...I like to think I am part of "we on here"...

You get what I mean. Actually, whether I have been here 12 minutes or 12 years I am ALWAYS in need of advice because I am constantly moving toward the unknown. If it wasn't for guys like you and him and others I would be hard pressed to get it all done. I've been to a lot of states and Iowa is the one were I was treated the best. Everyone there was very good to us.

I am off to the fields today to tie up some loose ends on the planter. Seed and fertilizer is up at the elevator waiting for me. Should be an interesting weekend.

Don't get your knickers in a twist, Progress...just me having a little poke at him after he took one at me. Just a little harmless fun. I apologized for it over on the crop forum and thanked him warmly for his help...which he deserved...because he helped a lot.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back