Servis FS15

Parker S.

New User
New to this forum so not sure exactly how this works, but i have a 72 model (i think) Servis FS15 needing new axles on both the duals. Has anyone replaced them before or have any idea how to get the old axles out/new ones in? I took the bolt out on the arm that tightens down into a groove on the axle to keep the axle from moving side to side, and it looks like the arm needs to separate to give the axle room to slide out, but I have had no success with that. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

(reply to post at 20:39:07 11/11/22)

Paul,
Thanks for your response. Yes I have that manual at home, it is the same but the diagram does not show the bolt at the end of the arm, or that the arm splits at all. That s why i m a bit questionable if it s a 72 model or if i may have the wrong year. Either way it s the same idea, just cant figure out how to get the center axles out. I attached a couple pictures of a new rear end im thinking of putting on, the arms are the same and as the one i’m working on.

mvphoto99393.jpg

mvphoto99394.jpg

This post was edited by Parker S. on 11/13/2022 at 12:26 pm.

Those axles have been in there for decades, no doubt. They're probably not going to come without a fight.

I agree, jam a couple of chisels in the slot. You're not going to get much spread, as that's cast iron and pretty solid stuff. Don't go crazy or you will need more than just axles.

From there, a pin and a BFH. You might need to put the casting up against something solid or you will just be beating it across the ground.

Some will tell you to spray it with penetrating oil. Waste of time. It would take months or years for it to penetrate. Heat and beat is the name of the game.

(quoted from post at 08:51:56 11/14/22) Those axles have been in there for decades, no doubt. They're probably not going to come without a fight.

I agree, jam a couple of chisels in the slot. You're not going to get much spread, as that's cast iron and pretty solid stuff. Don't go crazy or you will need more than just axles.

From there, a pin and a BFH. You might need to put the casting up against something solid or you will just be beating it across the ground.

Some will tell you to spray it with penetrating oil. Waste of time. It would take months or years for it to penetrate. Heat and beat is the name of the game.

Thank you for your response that was very helpful. I used a chisel and got a little spread like you said, and was able to get the axle pictured out. My challenge now is i m putting a dual axle in instead of the single, so i can t just slide it in as there is the lip that the bearing seats against on both sides. Should it eventually spread enough for me to get the axle in through the back through that gap?

You don't say how much bigger the lip for the bearing is. It would sound like that style axle would be held in a four-bolt clamp on the arm, rather than the split type you have.

I would not try spreading it much more than you have. Cast is tough but it will reach a point where it just snaps, not bends. You need the same diameter on the axle where it goes through the arm as the old axle has. Can you have a sleeve, for the bearing set against, made to go on one end of the axle after the axle is installed into the arm?

(quoted from post at 04:14:21 11/16/22)
You don't say how much bigger the lip for the bearing is. It would sound like that style axle would be held in a four-bolt clamp on the arm, rather than the split type you have.

I would not try spreading it much more than you have. Cast is tough but it will reach a point where it just snaps, not bends. You need the same diameter on the axle where it goes through the arm as the old axle has. Can you have a sleeve, for the bearing set against, made to go on one end of the axle after the axle is installed into the arm?

The dual axle looks exactly like the single pictured, just with a washer/sleeve (about half an inch larger than the axle all the way around) on both ends and it has the same arm with bolt holding it in. A 4 bolt clamp would have been much easier. Would you suggest grinding the old washer/sleeve off and welding a new one on after sliding the axle back in? Was just worried about a lot of heat possibly damaging where the bearing seats.

This post was edited by Parker S. on 11/16/2022 at 07:24 pm.

You will break the arm if you try to spread it that much, so yes, the sleeve and washer need to be removed for installation. It looks like a roll pin through what may be a sleeve in your picture. If that is the case on the one you are installing, it may be as simple as removing the roll pin and pressing the sleeve (washer is welded to the sleeve) off the shaft. It would be put back on the shaft after the axle is place.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back