PFAS contamination.

A few years back there was a continuous non-stop
line of trucks hauling sewage sludge from Terre
Haute's waste treatment plant and spreading it on
a farmer's field.

Some city folks think fertilizer made from sludge
is safe organic fertilizer.
PFAS is said to be a forever chemical.
It doesn't break down, it lasts forever.

You decide.
PFAS contamination

Reminds of the Facebook farmers association and how they claim cow and pig manure is as bad as human manure guess they were wrong again werent they.

Ya'll must do things differently up north. It's never used on cropland here. Hayfields only.

Kinda strange that it's just a field here and there and not all of them.

Lets see only on hayfields. Now if it is a forever thing and you rotate crops the hayfield then becomes a crop field just not when the sludge is applied. Hayfields here become corn fields about 3-5 years after planted to hay. then to soybeans and wheat and back to corn. Also with the demise of livestock around the state in different parts there is no hayfields to apply it on. Most all are crop fields. Corn Beans and wheat then back to corn.

20 parts per trillion.

Thats a mighty small percentage.

Think about collecting a sample of a city wastewater tank, they must be several million gallons in size? You take that 12 ounces or so, and you look for 20 parts per trillion.

Then you look at the Teflon frying pan. And I wonder how many parts per of that pan is pfa.

If you want to get rid of the sludge, where do you take the 12 ounce sample? If you are en environmental type, where do you take the sample? Is the stuff heavier or lighter floating about in the million gallon tank.....

Parts per trillion. How do you filter out a handful of parts per trillion, and what do you do with the stuff then? If it lasts forever.

Kind of a tough deal.

Paul

Hayfield. There is very little actual grass hay fields locally. Grass hay comes from waste land, odd little corners and mostly ground too wet to farm but it dries out in mid summer to make hay from. And road ditches.

Hayfield here is alfalfa. Wouldnt need the N from sludge on alfalfa, so it wouldnt be a best use of the nutrients.

I realize some areas to the East they make a lot of grass silage for cows, different climate so grass hay actually pays out better than alfalfa. But seems odd to me!

Anyhow hay might be a worse choice. Hay gets fed to cows, cows concentrate their huge volume of feed into a few gallons of milk per day, which for butter or cheese might get reduced down to a few lbs of food from a huge volume of hay. For any contaminate that does flow along through all the processing, it becomes very concentrated in our food system. Have to be very careful of cow feed.

But, if we dont recycle sludge - the human stuff of it - into food, we cant possibly have a sustainable food system. One just has to think that through logically. The drain pipes from businesses might need to be capped or rerouted, but toilets flushed and garbage disposal stuff -need- to be returned to the land as fertilizer, there is no other sustainable way.

Paul

It doesn't say how many PPM it takes to kill cows.

If a cow drinks contaminated water, the chemicals remain in the cow forever.
One study looked at the build up in fish.

Old article.
Farmer uncovers companys dark secret after cows kept dying:
forever chemicals

What I don't understand is the fact YouTube allows these Off-Grid & Prepper channels to promote putting human waste on their vegetable gardens as fertilizer to save money. Unbelievable....

Well you figure anything that can be put or flushed down a drain,which is probably about any element or chemical that exists at one time or another will end up in that sludge.So do we want all that in the ground and in the food we eat? I don't.

Manure from any animal including humans can be rendered harmless if composted correctly,not so with many chemicals they stay the same regardless.BTW if you eat anything grown in China odds are you will be eating something fertilized with human waste,if its been properly composted is anyone's guess.

FIL used to have a local septic tank cleaner spread on our fields. There was an annual permit showing which areas could be spread to eliminate runoff. I remember walking a field in early spring and finding all kinds of trash on the surface. Mostly cigarette filters and tampon applicators but lot of other small items of trash. The end of the loads would leave a pile of blackish something and what looked like gypsum, like drywall after it got wet. The operator told me it was from laundry detergent. The county now has a central processing facility for septage sludge.

(quoted from post at 04:39:22 05/03/23) What I don't understand is the fact YouTube allows these Off-Grid & Prepper channels to promote putting human waste on their vegetable gardens as fertilizer to save money. Unbelievable....

That's different. It's their own, came out of their own butts, made from the food that they grow and eat themselves...

These "forever chemicals" aren't a natural result of the human digestive system. They're from stuff idiots and slobs flush down the toilets that they're not supposed to.

What's the solution? Hold it?

Well, yea but.....

So, above you dont want sludge because it can have lots of stuff in it.

Here you say any manure including human can be made safe by composting it.

I think you need to say those conflicting things better?

We cant have it both ways.

Many places have separated storm water from waste water at great expense.

Now should we separate industrial drains from house drains again at great expense? And then what do we do with the industrial waste?

Town by me had their waste water treatment plant across the river. We has high water flooding, and their pipe broke in the river. The solution to this? They got a state permit to just let the wastewater leak into the river, it was determined there was so much water flow it would cause no harm. Dilution was the solution, they could dump straight into the river for 3 months. Seal of approval.

Most cities still have a lot of rainfall get into the waste treatment plant. A heavy rain and the treatment plants are overwhelmed. The key word for them is bypass mode. Thry are allowed to just let the raw sewage flow through any time there is excess rain.

So our current system has a lot of loopholes and tolerance for just letting raw sewage flow.

It makes all of this should be, whatS dangerous, a lot more muddy. :)

In 2 days we will all forget about this thread and turn the blind eye and just flush things down the drain, where it all goes away and disappears from view and thought.

Paul

You can buy human waste fertilizer at the box store to spread on your own little slice of heaven.
Might even get you garden of the month.
Made right here in the USA in one of them Ya I mean northern states.

cvphoto153709.png

Mornin George, A couple things come to mind:

1) You are what you eat..

2) Certain food may be hazardous to your health..

I've survived this long and in decent health for my age NOT being a vegetarian, eating some red meat, NOT always eating what SOME (the intolerant MUST do as I say crowd) say I should, but will surely die some day and pay taxes until then lol

To each their own choice (not mine, not some YTer, not some politician or radical) of what food to eat or beer to drink works for me even if some may disagree.

Best wishes everyone, yall have a nice day, Im gonna mow some grass, kill some weeds, and fiddle with RV maintenance.....May have a cold one this evening, maybe Millers or Yuengling not Bud Light.

John T Thats ALL I have to say folks no more no less

Sewage is not just residential, but also commercial and industrial. Now-a-days there is far less traceability if you dump undesirable substances down the drain rather than on the ground on your property.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back