Shop heater

John-MI

What is best fuel to use in a torpedo style heater? Can you use number 1 fuel oil?. Is diesel out of station pump Ok to use?

All I have used require K1 kerosene.

Check with the owners manual before substituting anything!

It would probably work on diesel, but will smell and foul the works. The new low sulfur diesel might work better, but if it's a new heater not worth the chance.

As others have said, check the manual. It will list approved fuel types. On some multi-fuel heaters you must re-adjust the fuel pressure for various fuels. I've always found kerosene to be the cleanest burning. Diesel and heating oil can have a tendency to smoke and stink.

Never used #1 fuel oil. Using diesel is awful. The fumes are about 10 times worse than getting behind a diesel truck in traffic. I quit one job because they used diesel to heat the shop.

If working outside I will use diesel, inside a garage with the door left open a foot or so I use kerosene. A lot less fumes with kerosene. Diesel also doesn't like to light below about 15 deg.

Bulk K-1 kerosene is getting harder to find. Many stations around me have switched their kerosene pumps over to REC-90 ethanol-free gasoline. As for using #1 diesel, that's not real easy to find, either.

Ive seen and used several of them over the years and since regular old No 2 works fine and since K1 or No 1 is expensive and many places dont even carry it, I WOULD USE NO 2 but thats just me its YOUR choice.

John T

(quoted from post at 07:16:02 10/17/22) I use plain diesel in my Knipco. #1 or #2. The fumes only bother me if it runs out. Then it's a smoky mess.

Never used anything other than diesel from the pump at the local station. Yes there is a puff of smoke when it runs out but that is no big deal for me. Kerosene is simply too expensive, and I don't even know where to get it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back