Should I try this?

Ohio wd45

New User
I want to tow a Allis WD45 (4000# dry) 1000 miles. I have a Ford F-150 4x4 with 5.4L gas and 3.55 rear end. I can get a good trailer (Kronkite) that is used to haul skid steer loaders; double axle all with brakes. Total towed weight would be about 7000#. Is this too much to try to tow with this truck?
 
That should not be a problem. I tow slightly less weight with a half ton GMC with 3.42 rear end ratio. If you're like me, keep it out of overdrive and you'll be fine. Good luck.
 
I used to tow 65-7500# regularly with a '90 F150 with a 351, 3.55 gears. It would run in overdrive, but it really lugged the engine. In straight drive, it ran good, and I got better mileage that way. Mine was rated to tow that much, and I'm guessing yours should be rated about the same. Make sure the brakes work properly, as the biggest worry will be stopping. Sounds like a good road trip. Mike
 
I am with the other guys - I have a 04 Ford 150 Supercrew - with the towing package. I tow an Oliver 77 on a 18' trailer. No problem - Have to pay attention to slowing down and stopping though!!
I also kick it OUT of overdrive to keep the motor in the power band.
Pay attention - you should be OK

Ken 46
 
Turn the overdrive off so you don't fry the trans, also you'll want the extra power going up hills. Just leave extra room for stopping and you should be fine.
 
One time trip, I'd say not a problem. Take care to balance the tractor on the trailer properly, so that she's not tail-heavy ( potentially deadly swaying) or nose-heavy (nasty ride long distance, potentially poor steering).

The other advice about locking out the overdrive and allowing extra following/stopping distance is right on the mark. Take it to heart.

I had a '97 Ford set up like yours. Motor had all the guts I could ask for. You don't say what kind of country you'll be hauling in. My case, the truck pulled 7k loads and did all I asked it to, but in hilly country I'd have to kick it down to get over hills and worried more about the tranny than the motor when she went up over 5k.

One trip, whether in flat or hilly country, I'd say you'll be fine as long as your load is set up properly. If you plan on making a steady practice of hauling that tractor or similar loads over any kind of distance, you may find life will be easier if you upgrade the tow vehicle.
 
That's got to be a pretty big trailer to weigh 3000 lbs. but a 150 should haul it OK. I think they're usually rated up to 10,000 lbs. Dave
 

I towed a small U-Haul about 1000 miles with a
Mercury Sable. After trying the different suggestions I settled on doing it this way. I put the car in OD and picked a speed that would keep the trailer from swaying. Then I let the computer pick the gear and the speed.

steve
 
You should be fine but keep in mind....just because you can her her rolling you also need to stop her...Have you considered looking at a 1/2 ton gooseneck?
 
get a brake controller, and most half tons and 7000# are compatible as long as you have a reciever hitch .. etc. ( check yer gcvwr if unsure )

soundguy
 
I run a 2001 4x4 Chevy and it has towed a JD 350 dozer (15000 lb + trailer) down to a golf cart. I have a B&W gooseneck in it. Keep it out of OD.

Good luck,

CT
 
I own 2 350 J.D.s and from what my manual says, they weigh about 11,000. You'd have to have an awfully heavy built trailer to weigh 3000 lbs. so you should be quite a bit under the weight limit. Just be sure your trailer brakes are working properly as stopping is usually more of a problem than pulling. Just my thoughts, Keith
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top