Show Attendance

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
WELL It seems that the Zolfo Fla Pioneer Park Engine/Tractor Show is somewhat down this YR, Is it Expensive Gas/Diesel... Or just lack of Interest? Just seems like it's been in a back Slide over the last few Yrs, Comments! Larry KF4LKU
 
There was a discussion about this a while back on YT. Certainly the cost fo taking tractors and exhibits to shows has affected the shows, people who used to show at several shows have cut down to two or three close to home, attendees don't travel as far to shows either , no doubt Fuel costs have been a factor. Shows need to stay fresh and have attractions for all the family, otherwise the same show becomes the same old show!. New attractions are needed in addition to the usual Fireman's breakfast, the BarB Que and Dance at night...perhaps a grandstand show, antique autos added, a midway..I don't know but I do know that the shows around me have shrunk over the years and cost of going to them is at the heart of it.
 
I think you hit some good points Michael. I stopped going to some shows because it was exactly the same thing year after year. And we all have other intersts and obligations.

Another thing to remember is that the attendees at these shows aren't getting any younger. A lot of the old timers are passing away and the younger generation isn't as interested in the hobby.
 
We've attended the Old Engine Show in Buckley Michigan for over 25 years. They raised admission to $10.00 so we may miss a couple. They have a chicken BBQ along with other food vendors, a big flea market, a locomotive to ride for free, threshing, sawing, plowing demos, and lots of old iron. At night they have a dance and there are always a group playing dulcimers, guitars, banjos, spoons and basses. Now that I have a tractor they will be even more interesting.

Larry
 
Unless there is at least two events that interest every member of a typical urban family who had a Dad,Granddad or Uncle with a farm. The show with wither and die from low attendance.
Most of the people interested in only a row of old farm machinery are either dead from old age. Or they have no longer can drive to attend the show.
 
Fleas are loaded with China crap and junky glassware. Very little tractor stuff in the fleas.

Older people have a hard time making the rounds of tractors because of declining health. Also if their friends aren't there the desire to go to the shows is not as strong as it was in the past.

Extremly hot weather will eliminate some of the elderly crowd especially if there isn't any shade from trees or other canopies or a place to sit and rest.

Bumpy riding trailers are not very pleasureable to the older bunch that are usually drawn to friends and their tractors.

Young people have to release some energy so they are looking for friends or some attraction, or event that they can share.
 
I have gone to the MMOGTA show in Oakley, Michigan, for close to 20 years. The last couple of years the flea market has shrunk, and the vendors I talked to complained of high fuel prices and slow sales. One guy told me he was quitting because his sales were off 75%. ( he sold toys) I liked the flea market, the guys there had some really good buys on old tractor and implement parts. I think the high fuel cost also pulls money that might also be spent on "stuff". I think a lot of people are just getting by right now, and those that have a little money are scared. I think the demostrations and plowing contests are good draws. I notice that in England, tractor rides are real popular, and seem to get some non farmers interested, plusget visibility for the clubs. It looks like fun!
 
I am vacationing in Florida and had planned on attending the Zoflo show but decided to skip it because of the gas situation. It would have been a couple of hours drive and I want to cut back on the driving where I can to save some fuel usage not only for my self but for the country. I also had intended to have a vending site at the Flywheelers show but decided to just take my car instead of the motor home and spend one day. I also skipped the Zephyrhills swap meet because of the high admission fee and gas prices. So you can see that the gas prices are affecting things. There are plenty of other things to do around here without driving as much.
 
Typically a show starts off with a lot of good will and interest and then they either do some interesting things and flourish of become old hat
and dull and wither away. Just about every really vibrant show I know of either has a really good interesting tractor pull and/or a good auction to bring in the exhibitors and attendees.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top