Shredder, brush hog, rotary cutter? I am trying to buy

Tommygun5869

New User
My Grandpa always called it a brush hog but I found a shredder that looks like it would match my utility 300 . Is a shredder the same thing? Help please

Shredder, brush hog, rotary cutter, rotary mower, Bush Hog seem to get used interchangeably. It would be best to post a picture or some info, like brand and model, to answer your question. It might be the same or it might be different, we can't see what you are looking at.

The owner may not know the proper name for it, if you know what a bush hog or rotary cutter looks like go look at it and determine what it is Kind of like dikes or sidecutters- water pump pliers and channel
locks, same thing only different names.

Dont get caught up in the name. Different mowers are
made for light duty finish mowing grass and to knock
down 6 inch trees And everything in between. First
think about what type of area you need to mow. Then
work from there to find something that works well
with your tractor.

(quoted from post at 05:13:10 08/28/23)
(quoted from post at 04:36:13 08/28/23) Supposin that you tell us the difference?
I am just trying to make sure before I buy. Not trying to be a smart A.. Ty for all your help

What he's asking is if what you call a "shredder" looks like what your grandpa called a "brush hog."

To unpack this a little, BUSH HOG is a brand name of rotary mowers made famous for being able to mow bushes and brush, not just grass. Like all locking pliers are called "Vise Grips" no matter who makes them, "bush hog" or "bRush hog" became the term used to describe rotary mowers.

There are also different levels of rotary mower. Not every rotary mower is designed to chew up small trees. Some are only rated for grass. Some will handle small brush up to 1/2", 3/4", etc.. Others are built much heavier and will mow down trees up to 3", even 4" in diameter.

When shopping for a used one, I would advise you avoid mowers where you can see a circular series of dents in the top of the mower deck. That shows the mower was abused and/or is getting thin.

Many times there is a steel or maybe brass tag on the machine with the Manufacturer's name, model number and serial number stamped into the tag.

I would like to see a picture? We had a shredder (looked like a Rotary Mower) for shreddding corn stalks and tried using it to mow with. We tried mowing in Brome grass and it took more HP than our 50 hp
tractor had and it did not work??? I sold it on the auction for almost nothing?? Cleddy

Shreader probably no cutting edge on blades, just a square corner to hammer stalks apart instead of cutting them. That is the way the New Idea No. 60 & No. 61 corn stalk shreaders were made. The stalk had to be dead and dried out to work but at that time the corn was bread to be stalk and ear were both dead and tried out at same time Worked good with the corn of that time but would not work with modern corn ear ready to harvest but still green stalk.

Shreader did not look anything like a mower shafts ran forward and back and hammers as called looked like a face of a clock hanging on a wall.

Rotary mower names vary by region. In some areas everyone refers to them as shredders. Other places, they're all bush hogs, no matter what brand. In other places, only flail type mowers are called shredders. You would really need to figure out the make and model to find out for sure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back