Silo for Saturday

db4600

Back when the sun warm our backs one of the loyals here commented on silos in the barn. Jim shared the old Vasen barn with us the other week. This week in my travels I passed by this example of a well kept piece of history. Two weeks ago I shared a red clay block silo/ barn set up in Oak township and this one is a bit west in Grove township. Grove is Als blessed with fine examples of masonry as this house attests to.
cvphoto165890.jpg

cvphoto165891.jpg

I grew up pitching silage out a Redwood stave silo and find the few wood silos I knew in younger years are now gone. Borrowing from the internet I will share one from The Hancock Shaker village and let those viewing do more sleuthing. The village seems to be quite unique. Architecture included.
cvphoto165892.png

Every farm had a silo. The frequency of wood silos I cant speak for as Im a 60s model. Stearns county was king of dairy in the center and later part of the last century. Every farm had a silo. Some successful farm had multiple housing corn silage, haylage, and high moisture corn. Now with the way feed is handled and animals are fed silos sit empty. A lot of old 14x30, but even newer 20x80s sit idle.

Our farm had a 16x60 opposite a wooden stave silo. The wooden silo was replaced in 77 by a 18x60 and now both sit empty .

FIL had a wood stave silo from the Sears catalog. It sat unused after he gave up milking. He pulled it down in the 80s and repurposed it into trusses for the new garage.

(reply to post at 01:41:55 11/04/23)
I never seen a silo incorporated into the barn structure like that before.

And others have mentioned redwood silos.

We had an apple juice processor in our town.
They had several redwood vats/silos indo to make apple cider and vinegar.

It operated about 75 years or so but closed in the 1990's.

Local farmer bought the vats/silos and my Dad and I dismantled them.
The redwood was about 10 inches wide and 4 inches thick and 16 feet tall.

Looked brand new after planing of the surfaces.

It was great fun taking the hoops off and then picking the wood out of about two feet of sludge in the bottom!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back