Silo for Saturday

db4600

My travels this week didn’t expose any of interest, but I did learn a little history. We had a horizontal wood stave silo on the farm that came down in 76 and was replaced by a Hanson.

Attachments

• IMG_6279.png
    IMG_6279.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6280.png
    IMG_6280.png
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6281.png
    IMG_6281.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6282.png
    IMG_6282.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 133
My travels this week didn’t expose any of interest, but I did learn a little history. We had a horizontal wood stave silo on the farm that came down in 76 and was replaced by a Hanson.
Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a wooden silo.

Up by our cabin there are three wooden silos that i know of. Just south of Greem Mech a couple miles there is one also. Gordy in Mn

My uncle had a wood silo inside his barn. Seems I remember it was made with full length 2x8 tongue and groove placed vertical in a circle held in place with hoops.

My Grandfather had a wood silo on his farm but he never used it and I don't really know why be it that it was in bad condition orthat he didn't like silage it finally fell down many years ago

The first picture is a sight to behold....needs to be enlarged and framed.
That big elm on the stone wall is just magnificent.

Harder Silo Company of Cobleskill, NY near me was the first company to patent the "round" silo in the late 1890s.

1708190510654.png

The first picture is a sight to behold....needs to be enlarged and framed.
That big elm on the stone wall is just magnificent.

Harder Silo Company of Cobleskill, NY near me was the first company to patent the "round" silo in the late 1890s.

View attachment 6069
I came across those I’m my hunt. Conversely on the other coast Weyerhauser was making a play.

Attachments

• IMG_6291.png
    IMG_6291.png
    477.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6292.png
    IMG_6292.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6293.png
    IMG_6293.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 11
When I was in High School in the early 70's we would watch the 4 Star Farmers in FFA movies from several different years.. One year the one region Star Farmer (I think in New York) had built a stave silo from wood in their wood lot for the staves. That was the first wood stave silo I had ever heard about.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back