Simms injector pump

m16ty

Member
Picked up a barn find Ford 8000 a couple weeks ago. Finally got around to getting it running today. Bled everything but wasn't getting any fuel to the injectors. Pulled off the side cover on the injector pump, #3 plunger was stuck but the rest were moving like they should. Got #3 plunger freed up but still no fuel to injectors. Then I noticed the rack was only moving 3/4 of the way to the back. I could take a screwdriver and kind of push on it and it felt like it was catching on something and then it would let go and move all the way to the back. Tried to start it then and the tractor fired right up and the governor took over and was moving the rack like it should.

I let the tractor run a little while and then shut it down to see if it would start back. Again the rack would only move 3/4 of the way back and the tractor wouldn't start. Forced the rack a little with the screwdriver, the rack went all the way back, and the tractor fired right up. My question is, does anybody know about these Simms pumps and what is going on with the rack? What is making the rack catch on something 3/4 of the way back?
 
Had to continue to spray the rack with wd40, and work it over and over for about 15 to 20 minutes, till is finally completely freed up. Many times its a very sticky bio fungus that grows in diesel that causes this. Would suggest using very clean and water free fuel, and using a diesel biocide treatment in your diesel storage system and tractor to clear up the growth. I was successful in freeing mine up, hope the same for you.
 
Had to continue to spray the rack with wd40, and work it over and over for about 15 to 20 minutes, till is finally completely freed up. Many times it’s a very sticky bio fungus that grows in diesel that causes this. Would suggest using very clean and water free fuel, and using a diesel biocide treatment in your diesel storage system and tractor to clear up the growth. I was successful in freeing mine up, hope the same for you.
I run 2-stroke oil mixed with my diesel here at the farm.
You are probably right, I need to take the cover back off and clean and lube everything up more. I drug the tractor out of a barn and knew nothing about it, I wanted to at least just get it running to see if there were any major problems before I did too much to it.
 
I run 2-stroke oil mixed with my diesel here at the farm.
You are probably right, I need to take the cover back off and clean and lube everything up more. I drug the tractor out of a barn and knew nothing about it, I wanted to at least just get it running to see if there were any major problems before I did too much to it.
Does this pump receive its lubrication from the engine or is it self contained?
 
Picked up a barn find Ford 8000 a couple weeks ago. Finally got around to getting it running today. Bled everything but wasn't getting any fuel to the injectors. Pulled off the side cover on the injector pump, #3 plunger was stuck but the rest were moving like they should. Got #3 plunger freed up but still no fuel to injectors. Then I noticed the rack was only moving 3/4 of the way to the back. I could take a screwdriver and kind of push on it and it felt like it was catching on something and then it would let go and move all the way to the back. Tried to start it then and the tractor fired right up and the governor took over and was moving the rack like it should.

I let the tractor run a little while and then shut it down to see if it would start back. Again the rack would only move 3/4 of the way back and the tractor wouldn't start. Forced the rack a little with the screwdriver, the rack went all the way back, and the tractor fired right up. My question is, does anybody know about these Simms pumps and what is going on with the rack? What is making the rack catch on something 3/4 of the way back?
The rack appears to stick 3/4 of the way back because it is normally limited in its travel unless the excess fuel button is pushed. Said button is located on the fuel shutoff lever pivot point.
 
The rack appears to stick 3/4 of the way back because it is normally limited in its travel unless the excess fuel button is pushed. Said button is located on the fuel shutoff lever pivot point.
That is exactly what I was wondering, thanks for confirming. I did have the excess fuel button pushed, so apparently the linkage in the pump that goes from the button to tell the rack what to do is sticking.

After messing with the rack I decided to get prepared with a piece of plywood that would shut the air off if I had a runaway. Once started though the governor took over and worked the rack like it should
 
Last edited:
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top