Simms vs CAV injector pump

Hnlknl

New User
My Ford 3000 has a Simms injector pump that needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Seems they are hard to come by.

Will the CAV injector pump bolt up where the Simms is bolted? If not what has to be changed for the conversion?

Thanks

(quoted from post at 22:42:17 03/23/20) My Ford 3000 has a Simms injector pump that needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Seems they are hard to come by.

Will the CAV injector pump bolt up where the Simms is bolted? If not what has to be changed for the conversion?

Thanks

For certain the drive gear behind the front cover will need to be replaced. The CAV uses a metal dowel on the front of the pump that goes into a hole on the drive gear to set its timing while the Simms doesn't use that dowel and so the drive gear won't have the necessary hole. There may be other changes necessary besides the obvious like injector lines and the lines between the filter and the pump.

Changing from inline to rotary pump mounting plate will have to be changed. That entales pulling front axle assembly with radiator and timing cover.

Simms pumps are not hard to find, or expensive to Fix. I have slid two across my bench in the last few days. They sometimes cost more to repair than the CAV DPA , but only if they never saw lube oil. The money it would cost to swap out timing covers, gears, and fuel lines would easily repair any issue you have with your pump. Let alone your labor. Dont think I have ever seen a 3 cyl. simms cost more than 750 -800 to repair when it was totally junk to start with. Make some calls to pump shops. Not all of them are looking for your blood or first born child. Al

Best in the long run to keep and repair the pump you have now, Simms parts are available. Had a four cylinder Super Major pump last month for service, and a Dexta three cylinder just in for repair..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back