Slightly cool tool...

Ultradog MN

I bought some aluminum round stock from a
guy last fall.
He had 'sold the farm' and was downsizing.
He said most of the rest of the stuff in
his shop was going in the dumpster so take
anything else I wanted.
I didn't see anything I needed so was on my
way out. Then this thing caught my eye.
I asked how much and he said just take it.
I still hesitated. It looked bad, was
heavily covered in paint overspray but the
round fluorescent light worked so I took
it.
I needed a magnifying glass a couple of
days ago and remembered it.
Had to clean off the lense to see through
it. So this morning I got a rag and used
lacquer thinner to clean all the crud off.
It looks half decent now and I'm glad I
saved it. It magnifys about 4X.
I'll put it on the bench in my shop office.
Slightly cool tool...

cvphoto132834.jpg

cvphoto132835.jpg

That's a great find, Ultradog. I've seen similar or exactly the same lamps in many jewelry/watch repair shops. I've never had one, but often thought that one would be very helpful when working on small stuff on the workbench.

Tom in TN

Other than reminding me of a toilet seat, that has its use the older one gets! I guess that might apply to the seat as well come to think of it.....

Paul

I've got the same basic one setting on the bench in my shop. Use it all the time--the combination of extra light and extra magnification comes in real handy the older I get! Got mine the same way you did--someone was cleaning up stuff and it came home with me.

Mine is a Big'N I reach above my desk and pull it down. Sometimes the bulb is hard to light off. My cell ph. put it out of business.

mvphoto95745.jpg

That's very cool. Can you still find replacement bulbs? I think if I had that then I'd be tempted to try to find the replacement bulb to keep on the shelf while they're still available. Maybe eBay?

Got a couple of them for working on two-way radios, but now, the parts have gotten even smaller. Not much I can repair anymore. Not much I can even see anymore.

Great for findin the metal splinter that feels like a 16-penny nail, but the diameter of a hair. Mine is gettin so old that the lens is startin to get smokey.

Got one at work. It used to be in the inspection room, then it was booted to the shop.

I'm probably the only one who uses it, I have to wipe the dust off first.

Next move will be out the door. I'm keeping a close watch on it for when that day comes!

We had one at work. was great for digging slivers out of your hand. I was going to buy one-theyre not cheap

Ultradog,

Well, that's a great price (can't beat FREE), and a nice 'save' from the dumpster.

Starting to need one for threading needles and/or reading small print. :(
Though I do often snap a pic of fine print with my phone camera, then zoom the pic.

I think if the round bulb went out I would figure out a way to replace it with a couple/few LEDs. They are much brighter which wouldn't hurt.

Been repairing two way radios for 50 years, didnt use one years ago, now have it in my face all the time. Like sotxbill said, components have gotten so small, a human cannot see them let alone replace them. Ive repaired ours at the shop many times. Plastic is getting old and brittle like me. Ive been repaired several times too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back