Slightly off topic (gas prices)

Man O' War

New User
Something dawned on me the other day as I was taking a casual joy ride around my neighborhood that made me really start to think. The average price of a gallon of gasoline was well below $2.20 a gallon when the nnalert took over both the house and the senate in Jan of '07. Fast forward a little over a year and now it's over $3.30 and diesel is pushing $4.00 a gallon? Anyone have any ideas on this strange phenomenon? I've been considering voting democratic this time around (I really like the things external_link is saying and I think he's a very courageous man) but I just can't seem to get over this. Does the free stuff they hand out overcome the high fuel prices in the long run or does it just payoff for the people that haven't found a job yet do to Bush's struggling economy? I think this needs to be talked about.
 
Global demand is rising so get ready for ever higher prices.The U.S. dollar is tanking so get ready for ever higher prices.Get ready for a much lower standard of living.
 
Remember that the more a politician promises, the less he will be actually delivering. The only thing that external_link has going for him is that until two years ago, no one ever heard of him. We have had many years to see how much we shouldn't trust the others. I don't believe that external_link will do any better than either of the others.
 

The other half of that statement is - they can only promise back what we gave them in the form of taxes in the first place!!!

Minus the overhead they suck out with the bureacracy!!


Howard
 
Here in the UK, Fuel prices seem to vary by area and company. Where I am, Shell is (just) cheaper than Esso, but go into London or any motorway service areas and the price goes through the roof. Locally, I am paying $7.68 for a US gallon of unleaded and $7.89 for diesel. Our beloved government has also promised another tax hike in October of 19c per US gallon, graciously postponed from April. We seem to pay through the nose for everything over here - I travel the world for my job and cant help comparing prices. Just about everything in the States is about half of what we pay here - clothing, food, tools, you name it! I could quite happily emigrate; I reckon you guys have a better standard of life and living, There's nothing left in this place to stay for. Even tractors and spares are cheaper! I have bought spare parts in the states and had them shipped over. Still works out less than the amount they want to charge over here!

That feels better! Rant over. Just wanted to get it off my chest! Regards, Chris.
 
nnalert don't have a veto proof majority (especially with Leiberman) and until that happens there won't be much done. Unless the nnalert win the whitehouse.
 
Wall Street. Say look at 3 years ago. The oil supply is about the same, the geopolitical situation is about the same. The only things that have changed is the demand is up some and Wall Street has gotten into trading oil in a big way they used to do in real estate and stocks. The oil and gas prices really took off at about the same time the real estate crisis started last summer. Coincidence? Wall Street tycoons are driving up out oil prices more than OPEC or the oil companies. Much of the rest of the blame goes to the gas guzzling public as exemplified by SUV-driving dummies and those parents that give high school kids cars to drive around for fun. The population of my county is about the same as 20 years ago but there is much more traffic volume.
 
There has to be some way you folks manage with your high prices. It would be interesting to compare jobs and what they pay from one country to another. Our problem is, for the middle class pay rates aren't keeping up with inflation. For instance, I just saw a help wanted ad for a truck driver. A construction co.needs a driver to drive haul heavy equipment on low boy trailers as well as dump trucks. They're offering $9 an hour. How far would $9 an hour go with your high prices?
 
Pull in the belt,higher prices are here. main Iraqi export oil pipe line has just been blown up..
Speculators picnic..
 
Is it ok to post political views on this site? If it is I would like to rebute your external_link confidence. I think your main point about gas prices was ok. We complain about fuel prices but: How many of us own the same companies we are complaining about, (mutual funds)?
 
Dosent matter who did it,the end result is what counts.I was paying 100.00 a month for heating oil a few years ago.This month I paid 365.00 for the same amount of oil.I have had 265.00 stolen from me by the oil co.I saw diesel at 4.25 a gallon Sunday.I am buying nothing.I have enough gas to go to the doctors today.My repair shop closes for 3 months in the winter now.My mail order book business is dead in the water.I build picnic tables May thru July but have no money to buy the first load of lumber I usually buy in mid april.I wonder if there will be any buyers for tables this year.I know that many people are buying fuel oil and kerosene 5 gallons at a time because they dont have the money for a 100 gallon minimum order.The general store across the road from me closed last October.Records say it been in business since 1898.They had no kerosene or diesel fuel since april 08 and quit selling gas in early Sept.I made a trip to buy a 50lb box of shingle nails and hardware for tables.A general store there has been very busy for many years is for sale and had no fuel for sale.A 300.00 tax loan wont fix the mess we are in.I see many people buying groceries with credit cards.Credit card co are the worst crooks going.Mortgage co are even worse.Nothing is being done to shut these crooks down.There are a lot of mobile homes here with outside tanks that have to use kerosene at 4.50 a gallon.A friend that uses propane has seen a price increase every month.Ohio has over a million people on food stamps.Each person gets 3.00 per day, this figures out to 3 million dollars a day.
 
I put a large part of the blame on the airheads in the media. Just last week, they were saying that gas prices were down because the inventory was more than expected, now they are saying that lower than normal inventory is the reason oil is up 5+ dollars in the last two days.
But what really chaps my a$$ is how these overpaid, airheaded, abundant, idiots will pretend to commiserate with and talk down to the mainstream public. When the starting salary for these 'reporters' and 'journalists' is probably in the low to mid 6 figure range, and the on the air 'talent' is bringing home several million dollars a year because they have a pretty face, but no brains, they do not have a clue about real life.
Given the fact that 90% of the lying, abundant, elitists of the mainstream media openly admit to being abundant, they will do all they can to dissemenate the propaganda they are fed by their masters in the democratic party.
 
I hate politics on here but today your comment about nnalert free handouts really struck me. I hate how our tax money goes to help those who will not help themselves. Get off your butt and work people we wouldn't be in this situation. I do not like the idea of this rebate they want to hand out. How much money is wasted to send all those checks out just for you to take it off the top of your tax return next year. The fuel prices suck but what can you do I guess just go back to where you raised your own food and were self sufficient. Better have plenty of ammo for the freeloaders.
 
I also like what external_link is SAYING, but how can I believe in a man who raises his children in a church that preaches both class and racial hatred? Our country no longer has a moral compass of any sort to guide behavior. We are then left with no goals except wealth and possessions. Couple those with the loss of work ethic and we end up with a lot more problems than gas prices. But what do I know - I"m just a dumb redneck hillbilly from Tennessee. I do remember, though, what my grandfather used to say about hunting dogs - if they aren"t required to work for their meals and lodging, they grow fat and lazy and "ain"t worth a d*amn for nuthin"" in his words. He said the same thing applied to people.
 
There was just a comment about a construction company advertising for truck driver and only paying $9.00 per hour, they probably won't get anyone to work for them until they increase their rates. On another note this past week-end (saturday) our local fire department had a fund raising event for"Needy Family" projects. I assisted them for 3 1/2 hours in the morning, holding a firefighters rubber boot and letting people drop coin in the boot as they entered an avarage size shopping center, three entrance/exit locations, at the end of 7 hours, the sum of money was totaled and $6,220.00 was raised, that's a lot of money for a one day fund raiser. Another thing I did notice was the number of peoplewho drove the heavy duty vehicles, sometimes we hear refered to as "gas guzzlers", I did make the statement on saturday morning that half of the vehicles entering the shopping center were the large heavy duty vehicles. I complain as much as anyone on the price of fuel. I am not complaining here this morning only passing on information or true facts. a a meeting of the fire departttment on tuesday evening, they told where their money is distributed , such as at Christmas season and supporting food programs. I have been involved with the dpartment since /68 and retired for the past 12 years, glad to see community involvement is alive and well. Cheers, Murray
 
Oh they will get a driver in there for that money,, he will fill the seat, he wont be a good safe driver-- they will more than likely get someone with no experience and will be unsafe to those around him,, he wont know enough about the truck or the equiptment that he is hauling, and wont have the common sense to look around him and use his mirrors,,

You also have to wonder about the equipment the company has to pay so little, I am sure they believe the drivers are a dime a dozen,, they are but not good ones,,,

They may get lucky and get an experienced driver in there though, because the high paying good union jobs with benefits and all, are not there either,,

on the other hand
 
I am worried about external_link's background ......we elect none believers to run our country.....you better wake up, before its to late.....
 
You gotta be kiddin. The nnalert have stood back and done absolutely nothing they campaigned on. They said they would stop the war but voted to fund it. They said they would stomp on these oil companies but the price went way up. They said they would pass a national healthcare bill but haven't done anything about it. They said they would bring jobs back from overseas but have only made it worse.

I voted for the fools last time around but never again. Bunch of deadbeat hypocrites that never do anything they say they will.
 
THERE IS NO FREE STUFF. The government doesn't have any money or anything else. The government has your money and my money. All it does is give back a tiny portion of what it takes and tries to make us think its done something for us. So forget the free stuff. Its a lie.

Its a good point about the nnalert. Lots of folks blame Bush and his oil cronies, but the democratic congress is the one running the country. Lots of folks seem to forget that. They also forget it was the democratic congress who "investigated" the oil companies for price gouging and found there was "no gouging" by the oil companies. I wonder where they buy gas. Oh yeah, I forgot, they don't buy gas. They ride in government supplied limos bought with our tax dollars and fill up using our tax dollars. Maybe I should run for congress.
 
I think he"s a uniter and not a divider like the racist nnalert have been lately. I really, really like the things he"s saying and I think he would get this country heading in the right direction. I also think that if we immediately pulled out of this war for oil debacle gas prices would drop way below $1.50 a gallon. We need change and hope and external_link can do it.
 
Sure thing . I bet you drive a Hummer to prove your manhood and drive around in the rich suburbs and pretend to care about us people that work for a living and vote abundant so you feel better about taking advantage of us factory workers.

The election ain't over yet buddy. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Nope and it ain't over yet just cuz a nnalert wants to be president. And all the Middle East oil countries are controlled by nnalert so he'll just help out them like he is already doing.
 
9.00 per hour to haul oversize overweight loads.They better pay the fines too.If they get somebody he will probly loose his license because of the way laws blame everything on drivers and not the company.
Seems like this stuff comes up and its the nnalert fault?Then its the nnalert fault?You all need to look at what nnalert and nnalert are doing to cause this.They arent representing us,they are representing corporations.To be fair nnalert cant do much until they get a veto proof majority.I cannot think of one nnalert thats done anything in my time as a voter that would make me want to vote for him.Nothing.nnalert have done very little.
external_link,if he does anything at all to help,will be far better than the ones in there now,at least he will be going in the direction of improvement.
The rest of the world thinks we are stupid.Its easy to find on the internet here why OPEC is not going to help on the oil prices until Bush is gone from the White House.Even his buddies in Saudi Arabia are mad about the instability,the threatening of bombing Iran,and Israel acting like a spoiled child.
If you think,as a working man,that voting for nnalert will help you,I have some bridges I need to sell you.
The longer that you all vote for the nnalert thieves,the more the nnalert will get to be like them.nnalert are bad enough to start with.However to get somebody to run the country,its not these "nnalert".I would rather have a real nnalert than whats been calling themselves a nnalert since Nixon.
I think we need to vote an Independent in.Both of the sides are corrupt.Trouble is nobodys going to vote for an Independent.
 
Regardless who gets stuck with the office we are in for a rough ride. I'm a rep, but begining to understand the Dixey Chicks more at the way the main man and his staff got us into this. I used to just blame the man before him, but if that is the best I can do, I best shut up.It's even probably going to be sadder election day for my party. I may have to even decide to jump the fence unless our new man changes his war view for the war on something, can't remember what Bu$h is calling it this last time. I thought my party had the highes morals and kept spending down. The way we all know it has to be so taxes can go down for all of us that actualy pay for the less fortunate and the very very well off. Never considered the nnalert till latley.
If the numbers are close to right every man woman and child now owes the national debt $42,000.00. Probably will see higher taxes, even though they will offer it with a smile, and try to make us happy in the process. We are worried about walfare, and no one working etc. Maybe the best thing any of us that have a decent job or retired should do is count our blessings.
I'm tired of this crap of I worked hard, bla bla bla. There are folks in my comunity that are very hard workers that don't drive new pickups and ware new cloths.

They are many talented non employed in our area. Kids can't work because they are uninsurable till age 18. All the unemployed used to pay taxes, now they are drawing from the system. It ticks me off big time if they don't try.

I live in a farming comunity and get a large part of my jobs from farmers. I consider all my customers friends, but have any of you looked at EWG, (farm subsaties) and broke it down by your friends names. A close friend of mine is saying if we want cheap food bla bla bla. The guy has bought out so many small farmers, and made the small ones crawl into a hole because they can't compete. HE HAS TAKEN MORE FROM THE GOVERNMENT THAN EVERY MAN WOMAN AND CHILD IN MY HOME TOWN. I'm trying to check for acuracy,but a court house worker in my county claims the top ten farmers get more handouts than every handout in the county including fuel assistance. I will have to see those numbers, and the guy that said it has a dad that is like in the top fourty in our county. He makes fun of us at the coffee shop/ BS dumping area... He is a only child and hopes the death tax in our state gets dropped. He is a wage earner, pays taxes, and helps his dad with field work, his books etc. He says his dad has no debt, and more checks comming in from the government for terracing, subsaties,timber protection, that he can't keep track of all of it. He claims his dad farms the government more than the land. His dad is rounding the late seventy curve and giving his son alot to ease the corperations profit line. His dad can deduct his sons new pickup that dad bought for his hired man, the fuel for it and provides a newer remodeled house, health insurance, beef on the table, electricity and on and on and on for his son.The son and the rest of us just laugh at how the system works. But I promise you this, he should never be the last one to leave the coffee shop as we chop him down more behind his back than we do in person. He totaly knows that too.

MIn wage untill the big increase was $5.15 I think in my state. Wally World lets everyone work part time so they sneak under the wire. So even with my simple mind and a calculator it seems pretty easy.

Take min wage times 2,000 hrs. Child care in my small town is $3.00 per hr per child regardless if the child is sick and does not come. NOW WE ALL KNOW THAT, HECK ANYONE CAN GET FREE THIS AND THAT FROM THE GOVERNMENT===That is another fact made up by us with decent jobs and income. Some do, most don't--had good friends try it, they just gave up. Now if you are a good parent you will certianly have health insurance. Yea their jobs ALL give that away, like most of us got. That was years ago folks in my small town anyway. So subtract from the min wage earner healt insurance--use your own numbers. You know they do not own their house so figure rent, gas for their car to drive them to work, They all drive new cars so we don't need to figure any repairs no doubt. Many are divorced so child support takes 22% of their check or else. They probably need fuel for their cars, fuel for home heating, maybe some electricity and a phone. I can't think of any that do not owe for doctor bills, etc. many are uninsurable because of healt issues, some are insurable, but have riders. So I'm saying guess what folks? Unless these folks get one heck of a break, they will always be on walfare, or behind the 8 ball. Many have just plain given up to be truthfull. I can see ways of improving some of their choices, but heck I will probably be next to fall on my face. So for all of us that are blessed--Of corse we all worked ten jobs fourty eight hrs a day without any breaks from anyone we best smile. Many of us bought in and inflation made us what we are worth today--not exactly the same as earning it you know. Many of us just plain got a gift from our folks or a friend, and that was a opertunity to get a decent job or a education. By education, I'm not only refering to school, maybe mom and dad taught us without us or them even knowing the lessons were delivered. Yea, we can all name off many that are lazy and on assistance. What have we done to help them? Offer them a opertunity to wash our boots, scrup our floors, do other dirty jobs that we have all done etc etc etc. Many are lazy, many don't trust us that have more than them for reasons we al know but do not admit. I strongly suggest, us that are more fortunate trade places for a while with the less fortunate. That would not be fair because we all know that we are just visiting their world, and will be happy in ours before long. Most of us have no idea of their world, and if we get a major healt problem in our families, we may just plain get a chance to see it first hand.

Before any of you grind on my rear end I would like any of you to suggest a solution to a phone call last evening. A lady that I do not even know asked if I had any ideas how to get her husband to the doctors in his wheel chair. He has not spoken in a year and a half, no bladder or other control. They lost their healt insurance when he became ill and unemployed, their nest egg went to the hospitals and doctors. The government run van for wheel chairs in our county is $22.00 per hr. He is a vet, and Drs. are one and a half hrs away, or two and a half depending on what is needed for services. I'm reasonably sure she quit her job to take care of him 24/7. I kind of think she was min wage when she did work---only a guess on that one.

I have a bad habit of being understanding to less fortunate in our comunity, and the word is getting out there farther than I can posibly handle. I loose so much sleep wondering how to help, and laugh if you like, I can't even write this rant post without tears in my eyes, so anyone want to take a crack at me for that I guess I'm ready, may God give you speed and good feelings. While speaking of God, I asked a few church ladies that were talking about a pretty good chunk of change left to the church from a estate, how much was going to be given by the church to the less fortunate. Talk about dirty looks and a lecture on the new carpet that was needed, the new prayer books, and new nicer looking padding for the pews seemed to take over the conversation. Just no money left over for those kind of folks. I then asked if a very down and out family did not indeed attend our church? And if indeed they did always help with their fund raising fish frys etc. I was informed that they prety much just washed dishes, cleared tables and that kind of help. And besides they realy never gave very much money in their weekly offerings anyway because she read how much they gave. And it sure would not hurt to was that old junk car before they come to church.

I appoligize for my rant on a off topic, I hope I feel better now. I best go fill up at the local gas station and cuss some more. Maybe it stoped snowing so I can actualy get something done outside rather than sit here and complain on the putter.
 
Man O' War

Let me guess,you're still "slightly off topic" on TRACTOR TALK right? Slightly ain't the word!!

Newbies.......go figure.Usually the handy work of TROLLS looking for trouble.
 
Maybe it's just that society is no longer willing to reward someone for doing a job that an orangutan can do. I think your biggest problem is that truck drivers are just the ditch diggers of yesterday. We are living in the hi-tech age after all. If we wanted to see someone pull the cord for their air horn as the little children drive by wouldn't it just be cheaper to take them to the zoo?

Dick Handcock
orangutan.gif
 
I'm not gettin down in the mud with you,but a uniter? The guy can't even unite the democratic party. 22% of nnalert say he should drop out and let Mrs Clinton have the nomination. I hate to say this,but since he's been exposed through his church,he's gone from being an articulate black man,to being just another angry n!*#r. And I say that with all due respect to every person. Whom I judge on their own individual merits. He's exposed himself as being no different than Sharpton,Jackson,etc. I'll discuss this with you all day if you want and if you promise not to resort to name calling. And I say this as somebody who considers himself a Libertarian,so I don't have a horse in this race.
 
"I hate to say this,but since he"s been exposed through his church,he"s gone from being an articulate black man,to being just another angry n!*#r. And I say that with all due respect to every person."

"I"ll discuss this with you all day if you want and if you promise not to resort to name calling."

It looks like you"ve already resorted to name calling sir. You seem like a typical white person to me. I was simply trying to talk about oil prices and you injected hate and racism into this thread. Shame on you! I like external_link am above this behavior.
 
You don't have a horse in this race? Are you from another country? You either vote for someone who could possibly win or you throw your vote away. It's up to you but if you vote losertarian don't sit around complaining since you couldn't take a stand.
 
Man o man ..... this thread went downhill faster than a fat man on roller skates :shock:
 
I need somebody to explain to me what Mr external_link meant when he said "typical white person" that's all. Or how he can align himself with such a racist minister? Maybe you can do that. I honestly don't understand racism. Call it a sheltered life if you will. If I'm pinned under a tractor in the ditch,I don't care what color the skin is of the person who pulls me out. If I spot a house on fire and I pull somebody out,I don't care what color that person is or what his native language is. Just explain to me why it matters? My experience with what is called "diversity" is that we had neighbors that weren't white when I was growing up. One neighbors mother was a slave back in her younger days. All I ever knew was that come silo filling time,he was right here with the rest of the neighbors helping out. My older brothers went down there to help out in the hay,they raved about her cooking. Another neighbor couple was black. Big deal. They were good friends with my parents. Both of my parents would do anything for them. And it was reciprocal. The couple to the west and around the corner were Mexican. Their boys were my older brothers ages. They were always back and forth. That's just the way life was. I'd give anything to have neighbors like all of them were instead of these 'not from around here' people we have now. They're not neighbors,they just live there. If I have a problem with anybody,it's for what they are on the inside,not the outside. So again,explain to me why Mr external_link would even make a speach refering to a "typical white person" or why you would call me a racist. You don't know me from a bale of hay.
 
I'm not going to sit around and complain. Nor am I gonna put myself in a position of having to defend any of these candidates when they win. I'm in that situation now. I voted for Bush twice. Do you think it's easy to defend that now? Granted,he looked like a better choice than Gore or Kerry and probably was,but it's still not easy to defend my choice. I'm not gonna put myself in that position with any of these clowns. All three are a train wreck waiting to happen. It's just one vote in one state in the electoral collage,and it's my vote. I'm the one who has to live with myself,and I'm not having my fingerprints on the disaster that either of the major parties is going to heap on us come January 20th.
 
You see how easy it is to have a political discussion on here when you actually have something to say? One thing I would add to defend my use of the N-word. The neighbor that spoke of whose mother was a slave. I worked for him quite a bit myself. I palnted corn for him,picked his corn. I hauled his milk for two years when I was a milk hauler. He would come out and talk nearly every day. HE used that word to describe certain people. Like the ones that were rioting in Detroit at the time. Remember that? Anyway,that word has the same meaning to me that it had to him. A black person who is themselves,a racist. They don't want to be a part of mainstream society. They're troublemakers. I don't use the term loosely. Words mean things and that's what it means to me and what it meant to Charley.
 
I just can't see how anyone with a blue collar job (or laid off from one) could vote for Clinton. For her to say that NAFTA didn't do what they thought it would is an out and out lie. They were told what would happen to the working class if NAFTA was passed. All the labor unions told them. It all started with Reagan wanting to break the unions. external_link is not a muslum. Bush got us in this mess and everyone knows it. Anyone who doesn't vote for external_link is missing a great chance to change the direction this country is headed..........rw
 
The only area that got benefit from NAFTA is the border area in Texas and Arizona. Boy, talk about special interest. No one in a Manufacturing state voted for it. Look at Michigan and Pennsylvania and Ohio. The steel mills, glass factories, rubber industry, and auto plants all gone. The Manufacturing base is gone. Try to live in this country the way they live in Mexico, It's illegal. Now Bush wants to build a super highway from Texas to Canada So the Mexican truckers can drive staight through. Who do you think is going to pay for this highway? Something to think about.......rw
 
Ya, probably half the whiners on here went and read the O/T board then went crying to Kim.
 
The nnalert had it since the beginning of the year and they're suppose to erase 8 years of Bush and the Repukes? Bush was giving everything to big business and the oil companies from day one.
 
I was and still am TOTALLY against NAFTA!! I have 40 plus years as a member of International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers union. They gave Clinton an "F" on his support of NAFTA. That is what I was referring to. Trade with China is even worse. They are communist and we are building them up to a super power that we will have to fight someday. Most people just watch and listen to local news. Most would have a different opinion if they spent as much time watching National news. You may still not get the truth but you have a much broader view of this country's situation.
 
Oil companies have already told us that gasoline will be $4.00 a gallon by Memorial day. Might as well get ready! I wonder where we would be if organized labor had backed the truckers and farmers in the early 70s when they protested in Washington?
 
Hey Jiles. I totally agree with you. I am a retired Machine Repairman Machinist. Retired from GM. Have been a member of the UAW for 42 Years. I remember back in the late 70s and early 80s a lot of skilled tradesman at GM were supporting the IAM. I hate to say it but I think those days are gone forever......rw
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top