Small engine electrical HELP!!!

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Wasnt sure where to post this question,so here it is.I bought(off Ebay with no owners manual) a brand new 11hp tecumseh electric start horizontal shaft motor.I dont need the electric start but want to run a small headlight off the motor.The motor has a whip coming out with a red,green,yellow and black wire(the black wire is grounded to the motor) going into a plug.How to I tell which wire with the motor running would have juice,and what would the other two wires be for? I'm not that bright and dont want to damage anything.Thanks
 
You didn't give us much to go on as to what specific engine you have! Anyhow, here's how Tecumseh has TRADITIONALLY done this: (DON'T blame me if you "let all the smoke out" of the poor thing's electrical system!)

red......Rectified DC power for battery charging
green....Ground this wire to "kill" the engine
yellow...AC power to run a headlamp
black....Ground
 
Hello Need To Know.
You are better off using power from the battery. Use a switch to turn it off , and don't forget to fuse the circuit.The fuse size should be 50% more than what the circuit amps.
10 amp draw 15 amp fuse.
If you want to you the ignition key email me and I'll send you a diagram for a relay.
Guido.
 
The alternator outputs of most small engines are unregulated. You're likely to burn up your light bulb if you hook it directly to the alternator without a battery in the system.
 
It's done all the time with tecumseh engines on walk-behind snowthrowers, NO big deal.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top